It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is It Called Easter Island? Interesting Facts About a Mysterious Island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It has been on my bucket list for some time. I would like to visit EI, one day. I would welcome any post of any members that ha e been, or have had friends or family that have visted Easter Island.

I thought appropriate to post a few interesting facts about Easter Island . Enjoy!

Discovered on Easter Day 1722, Easter Island (Rapa Nui) is one of the most remote inhabited islands in the world and one of the most interesting. In addition to figuring out how to get to there, here are some crazy travel facts about Easter Island that might just inspire you to go.

Why Is It Called Easter Island? Interesting Facts About a Mysterious Island

The Mataveri International Airport or Isla de Pascua Airport (IPC) is the most remote airport in the world.

The airport runway was expanded in the late 1980s to accommodate NASA’s space shuttle in case of emergency landings.

The largest of the 887 Easter Island heads weighs 82 tons and stands over 32 feet in length.
Upon discovery of Easter Island by Europeans, all of the Moai (the head statues) were knocked down, it is believed, by tribal wars.

Similar to the mystery surrounding Stonehenge, nobody knows for certain how the Moai were placed in their final locations or erected.

Diving conditions are excellent with 60+ meters of visibility compared to 20-30+ meters of visibility on a typical dive.

The Moai underwater seen while diving off of the coast of Rapa Nui are made of concrete and were placed there for tourists.

Prior to their discovery by Europeans in 1772, the native people of Rapa Nui, for 500 years, believed they were they only people on earth.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Originally, the heads had pumice 'Bunny Ears'.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT
They walked the stones into place.....really.....

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
NO....it was named Egg Island...then came Bugs Bunny and changed it all>>>>

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JaMeDoIt
NO....it was named Egg Island...then came Bugs Bunny and changed it all>>>>

It isn't half as mysterious and elusive as August Bank holiday Island, though.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Why Is It Called Easter Island?

Because that's where the Easter Bunny lives and makes his Easter Bunny eggs.

DUH!

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit as well. As a poster mentioned above, they might well have been walked into place.

ETA: I've seen the image below a bunch of times, and I'm still unsure if these images were proven to be fake or not. Looks convincing-ish to my eye.

edit on 27-3-2016 by AbdulAlhazred because: add the questionable pic

new topics

top topics

join