It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Dr. Robin Meyers' Speech about Bush and the War On Terror are against God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This a pretty good speech I read on some message board, it's strange to hear a Christian say such things as I think I'd begun to believe they were all fundamentalists...it's good to know the religious still see sense and don't buy into the right-wing propaganda.

Sorry but I couldn't find an official link to this speech so I have to post it in its entirity, if someone comes across let me know and I'll change it. I'm not sure if it's a problem or not:

Time to March Again
As some of you know, I am minister of Mayflower
Congregational Church in Oklahoma City, an Open and
Affirming, Peace and Justice church in northwest
Oklahoma City, and professor of Rhetoric at Oklahoma
City University. But you would most likely have
encountered me on the pages of the Oklahoma Gazette,
where I have been a columnist for six years, and hold
the record for the most number of angry letters to the
editor.

Tonight, I join ranks of those who are angry,
because I have watched as the faith I love has been
taken over by fundamentalists who claim to speak for
Jesus, but whose actions are anything but Christian.

We've heard a lot lately about so-called "moral
values" as having swung the election to President
Bush. Well, I'm a great believer in moral values, but
we need to have a discussion, all over this country,
about exactly what constitutes a moral value -- I mean
what are we talking about? Because we don't get to
make them up as we go along, especially not if we are
people of faith. We have an inherited tradition of
what is right and wrong, and moral is as moral does.

Let me give you just a few of the reasons why I
take issue with those in power who claim moral values
are on their side:....visit source for full story

I'm really interested to see what right wing christians have to say to this. Hopefully you'll reply.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Steve Zissou]
Mod Edit: Trimmed excessive quote

[edit on 12-1-2005 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Are there no right-wing christians on this site that want to counter these beliefs? I am really interested to read your reactions.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Me too. These are some of the same questions I have asked christians. I never get any response. They just ignore these types of issues. It's kind of like: How can christian soldiers go to Iraq to kill people, and still be within their religious morals? How can they support this war at all and be within those same morals? Hypocrites!
I couldn't help but notice though, in #1 "not moral" is the same as "immoral." That's what immoral means.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Damned]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Oh come on there must be someone.

I would really love to hear a counter-argument to this.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
One thing you have to understand about us "Christians” is that we have become a bit wary in the political world (for those of us who traverse it at least).

On one hand, identifying ourselves as Christians has a nullifying effect on our position for a good number of topics. On the other hand, it's not easy to sit by and watch people, who might blindly follow their (and the assimilation of other's) views of universal truths and the truth about the universe, call us sheep and not get angry or upset.

But never-the-less, we can not be put into a single mold regardless of how arrogant or insensitive some of the unfortunate spokesmen for our religion are.

As far as Bush is concerned, it seems pretty obvious to me that he actually may be a Christian (but who's to really know).

The problem with him might either be with "Good initiative, Bad judgment", subversive control over him, or that he really is a Rev. Moon follower (none of which is a good thing).

What is obvious is that he used the Christian vote (which is a powerful thing).

We had one chance to get the president and congress to get on a Pro-Life power play, and actually have a chance at affecting the abortion legislation in this country for the first time since it began.

That and the fear propagated by the media, and the War in Iraq (which I guess some think is vital to national security... HAHAHAHA) caused the vote to go to Bush.

The days of complex voting are over, and if you think Kerry got votes for any better reason than Bush, then you are fooling yourself.

By the way, Bush got my vote in 2000, but not in 2004.

Fool me twice..... Can't fool me again...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I disagree with the war on Biblical grounds as well, but this person smacks of liberalism--the "hatred of homosexuals" crap. If this person believes in morals, they should be denouncing homosexuality.

Talk about a hypocrite.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well KrazyJethro it seems you've got your head screwed on firmly in the middle, which is a good place to be.

I'm disappointed to not see any right wing christians counter-argue any of the points Dr. Robin Meyers made, I was truly interested to hear them. Is silence speaking volumes?

Anyway, I got me a Jaguar Shark to kill!

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Steve Zissou]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
See, I told you. I've asked many xians many of these same questions. They always go unanswered. They're just not very good at defending their hypocrisy, because there really is no defense. They'd have to admit that they do not actually adhere to the morals they claim.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I am a right wing Christian.

So what questions are going unanswered? I'll talk about anything.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
But you don't sound like you support this war, as other right wing xians. I don't believe you're like those that ignore their own supposed principles, or the ones they claim to adhere to.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Damned]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
So what questions are going unanswered? I'll talk about anything.

I guess I kinda wanted right wing christians of the board to counter-argue each point he made, something along those lines anyway.

Either no one can be bothered reading it on this board, there aren't that many right wing christians or they don't actually have a response to what he said (that's not directed towards you by the way KJ, thank you for taking the time to humour me).

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I don't see any reason why this thread would go unanswered by Christians in this forum and it is related to Iraq etc. But I found that the conspiracy in religion forum has garnered more responses by christians to identical topics I have posted in other ATS forums.

Basically from now on, if I want a Christian audience I go to that forum. But really, it shouldn't make much difference.

top topics

join