It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Bug out bag help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Right i wrote a thread on something like this last year I think basically i need some advice on building a urban bug out bag that can sustain two individuals for 48 hours.

First a bit of background.

So earlier this week there was a minor disaster in my home that could very easily have escalated and left my home flooded and me without a place to sleep for a night, water leaking in, power gone was just by good fortune i was in the house and that i had my phone charged so i could sort out some help. This did however get me thinking when it comes to being perp'd for a emergency that could leave me in some trouble I need some help.

I am not interested in anything to grand, basically i want a bag that is suited to a urban environment, I am not looking to survive the apocalypse so no CBRN or self defence stuff really required and i am not looking for any serious survivalist stuff that would seem me camping out in the woods. I am more thinking along the lines of floods, power cuts, fires, terrorist attacks, riots, extreme weather, massive transportation disruption and soon that might prevent me leaving my home for 48 hours and having to hunker down in a school hall/hotel or some kind of evacuation zone.

So any advice on building a bag suitable for this would be much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I wrote some thoughts on this over here---> The 7 Types of Gear you MUST have in your B.O.B.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

thanks for that really good read!

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Hmmm...

You're talking about a personal apocalypse--busted water pipe, or a gas leak, right?

A bit of cash for a hotel for however many days it may take to fix, and to buy food, or even some clothes

Pack some personal stuff, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc...

If you have kids...maybe a toy or two, a puzzle/game book, whatever keeps 'em busy and occupied while you figure out what's next.

Food for the pets, if you have any. The location of a pet friendly hotel, not as easy to find as it used to be.

If it's a bit more wide spread, all that stuff above, along with some blankets, camping stuff, you never know when you might need it. Some water, or water purification equipment.

When i was a kid in the late 60's, our car had emergency stuff for a week, or so, in it at all times. As we lived in military housing, on prime targets, it was a good idea to be prepared for bug out. Or, in the days of no cells, or in these days of possible cell service interuption, it might be a good idea even today...

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Well, first of all youll need a good bag......
The primary requirements being...it must be waterproof enough to float for 48 hours without taking on water....
It must be large enough to provide sufficient space for all your needs like toilet paper n stuff....
Compartments are a must for organising the contents, and separate entry points would help for convenience...
The contents should not be too heavy to carry at least five miles uphill (think Tsunami....) without killing your back and legs...Load strapage is imperative and a carry handle or two would be a help as well....

Secret water proof compartment for ID and some cash as well would be good...( you might want to consider a model with mini safe included)
Now as to the contents.....
one must consider all possible scenarios and try to generalize and average the basic needs......(do I need a gieger counter? etc....)

If you are thinking a nuclear type scenario a gun with a single bullet may suffice...
Anything less may require a good deal more equipment and supplies...

There are some good collapsible boats on the market if you are thinking flood wise....and if you are lucky there just may be one which collapses into a Bug out Bag the right size for you....

Now if its a volcanic eruption you are fearing some good burn crème and perhaps some powdered water would be greatly advisable....
Powdered water is easily packed...folds flat, and when needed simply add ....water,////makes up to ten gallons a pack at 39.95 plus tax, but worth every penny in a volcanic ash cloud...

First aid is a factor too, as is personal grooming, as everyone wants to look his best during a disaster....(who knows when CNN may fly overhead...)
Id recommend at least a hair dryer, (battery operated) and of sourse shampoo rinse and mousse which is also available in dehydrated form for an outrageous price...

One should be able to get by for 48 hrs with a simple nail kit of polish, gloss, and a few other minor nessesities of life...
Id reccomend attending several seminars on surviving before settling down to a final choice of handy items to pack....( I understand that certain unscrupulous dealers are selling fake dehydrated water etc....)
The seminars may be attended in person or purchased online for another outrageous "nominal fee"......

Aways remember in case of a real disaster of certain fatal nature....(like say Nibiru passing too close , or Asteroidal impacts, you can always put the bag over your head and kiss your arss goodbye.....

edit on 27-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

Emmmm am more thinking for a bag that is suitable if my flat burns down or there is a flood or some kind of huge power cut.

Not really thinking about total SHTF stuff

but thanks for your pointers.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Werll you never know when you may need some hemmerroid crème or a needle and thread to sew em up....
Jolly good luck though mate...

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
A li-ion battery with solar charging front panel.
A few cliffbars.
About 200-300$ in cash.
Change of clothes with extra socks and undies.
Toiletries of the travel variety.
A book.
A paper map of the area.
Notebook that you can fill with info you may need if the internet is inaccessible.

You may add some things to that but I'd say that would be able to get most people by.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I could post you a ton of lists we have...but our members here have more needs-suited ideas...all good.

But from a disaster prepardedness standpoint, the Department of Homeland Security, FEMA and Ready.gov has a ton of suggestions I recommend you look into.

c/o: Ready.gov

MS-Emergency Response Team
Emergency Medical Tech/1st Responder
Homeland Security/FEMA/Citizen Corps
Advanced Disaster Life Support

Region 2 South, Wayne County MI U.S.A.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Right i wrote a thread on something like this last year I think basically i need some advice on building a urban bug out bag that can sustain two individuals for 48 hours.

First a bit of background.

So earlier this week there was a minor disaster in my home that could very easily have escalated and left my home flooded and me without a place to sleep for a night, water leaking in, power gone was just by good fortune i was in the house and that i had my phone charged so i could sort out some help. This did however get me thinking when it comes to being perp'd for a emergency that could leave me in some trouble I need some help.

I am not interested in anything to grand, basically i want a bag that is suited to a urban environment, I am not looking to survive the apocalypse so no CBRN or self defence stuff really required and i am not looking for any serious survivalist stuff that would seem me camping out in the woods. I am more thinking along the lines of floods, power cuts, fires, terrorist attacks, riots, extreme weather, massive transportation disruption and soon that might prevent me leaving my home for 48 hours and having to hunker down in a school hall/hotel or some kind of evacuation zone.

So any advice on building a bag suitable for this would be much appreciated.

Not wanting to make light of this but it is surprising how much you do not need in an emergency.

A full tank of petrol would be my advice with an overnight bag as when you get to a friends house they will have almost everything you need.

Just to gain perspective here's George on stuff.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Change of clothes (socks, pants, shirt, underwear)
Handcrank radio/charger/flashlight (to charge your cell-phone)
Metal water bottle (make sure you can somehow hang it over a fire), Filter straw
Ration Bars (like Cliff type bars, but made to be an emergency food source)
Dehydrated meals (I like Mountain House beef stew myself)
Treats (like jerky, hard candy, stuff that will keep well)
Spare cash, credit card
Lots of info on pdfs on your cell phone (public transportation schedules, shelter info, survival info, etc.)
Emergency battery for cell phone
Small LED flashlight
Pocket knife (Swiss army type is good), Multi-tool
Poncho (even if the cheapo kind)
Lighter, Stormproof matches
Small first aid kit (bandages, antibiotic ointment, OTC meds, tweezers, medical tape, Ace bandage, any prescription meds)
Basic toiletries
Whistle (great way to let a rescuer know where you are)
Ball of string (paracord), so many, many uses (hang bottle over fire, trip line, etc.)

If your work shoes aren't great for normal wear, may want to add in some tennis shoes or hiking boots.

new topics

top topics

join