It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Earth is flat then why do we have different days and nights?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qwerm
The sun shrinks at sun set, It is what I have seen.

If you think it is shrinking, for you, at sunset, what is happening at the same time for other people in different timezones when it is still high in the sky?
edit on 29-3-2016 by MasterAtArms because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MasterAtArms

The sun shrinks at sun set, It is what I have seen.

If you think it is shrinking, for you, at sunset, what is happening at the same time for other people in different timezones when it is still high in the sky?

Well it is shrinking into the distance till it reaches the vanishing point, but of course that means it is arriving elsewhere like a train.
No difference really to the globe earth model except the circuit of the sun is on the face of the flat earth and not going over and under.(for the earth does not spin)
edit on 2932016 by Qwerm because: More info

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I don't understand the discussion over this flat earth stuff.

It makes about as much sense as some of the things The Donald tard says.

And maybe that's exactly the case, to just go against what's true and known to simply be obstinate.

I think a lot of people have way too much time on their hands.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Well it is shrinking into the distance till it reaches the vanishing point, but of course that means it is arriving elsewhere like a train.
No difference really to the globe earth model except the circuit of the sun is on the face of the flat earth and not going over and under.(for the earth does not spin)

About the sun circuit. How does Australia have longer summer days than nights in the FE model?
The sun circuit commonly shown does not appear to make this possible.

Why would there be ice at the hub and rim of the disc? Wouldn't all the ice at the hub melt during the northern "midnight sun" period of the year? Why would the equatorial regions be so much hotter than everywhere else?

The globe model explains all of our observations perfectly whereas different FE models are used to explain one observation only, or a few, as has been mentioned in this thread.

I think that the only reasons to believe FE are religious, which I don't fully grasp either as most people who believe in God are perfectly happy for the earth to be a globe. You have pretty much said yourself that you want the earth to be flat so that evolution can be wrong.

Then again you saying that you don't see the sun going below the horizon but rather shrinking into the distance means that you could be trolling just to see how far you can argue FE theory.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I honestly don't even know how anyone can give a nanosecond of consideration to the whole flat earth theory.I mean come on..how ridiculous in the extreme.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Qwerm

No difference really to the globe earth model except the circuit of the sun is on the face of the flat earth and not going over and under.

Actually, there's a huge difference. It's impossible for the Sun to be going in a circle above a flat Earth. On an equinox for an observer on the equator, the Sun will rise due east and set due west while moving in a straight line above the equator all day long.

Any questions?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The fact anyone argues Topics such as this prove that mankind is a dead end species, and people are beginning to de-evolve back into, basically, idiots like they were in the past.

I know that the deepest scientific knowledge of the day once perpetuated the idea that the earth was flat.

But we have a lot more knowledge of things now, which can be proven true with research, yet some refuse to get up to speed because they are stuck in that old "faith" stuff, and steadfastly refuse to even consider the possibility that they may be mistaken.....

.......In support of things that cannot be proven to be anything more than myths, to anyone who can actually think.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasteel

About the sun circuit. How does Australia have longer summer days than nights in the FE model?
The sun circuit commonly shown does not appear to make this possible.

Why would there be ice at the hub and rim of the disc? Wouldn't all the ice at the hub melt during the northern "midnight sun" period of the year? Why would the equatorial regions be so much hotter than everywhere else?

The globe model explains all of our observations perfectly whereas different FE models are used to explain one observation only, or a few, as has been mentioned in this thread.

I think that the only reasons to believe FE are religious, which I don't fully grasp either as most people who believe in God are perfectly happy for the earth to be a globe. You have pretty much said yourself that you want the earth to be flat so that evolution can be wrong.

Then again you saying that you don't see the sun going below the horizon but rather shrinking into the distance means that you could be trolling just to see how far you can argue FE theory.

I don't what models you have seen, but in the ones I have seen the circuit of the sun is not fixed and the circuit of the sun avoids the centre of the flat earth and that is why there is ice there.
From late May to late July, the sun never completely "descends beneath" the horizon in areas north of the Arctic Circle, and the question is; why not? did the earth stop spinning?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

The whole reason we have seasons is because the earth tilts towards and away from the sun as it rotates. When to tilts towards the sun the Arctic is pointed more towards it so it doesn't set. When it tilts away the sun only comes up for a little while at a time.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I don't what models you have seen, but in the ones I have seen the circuit of the sun is not fixed and the circuit of the sun avoids the centre of the flat earth and that is why there is ice there.

I just gave you sufficient evidence to show that your alleged circuit is impossible. The globe agrees with the observed path of the Sun. Will you address this or ignore it to continue peddling lies?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

I just gave you sufficient evidence to show that your alleged circuit is impossible. The globe agrees with the observed path of the Sun. Will you address this or ignore it to continue peddling lies?

With respect, I will look into it a bit more and get back to you.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Qwerm and other FE suporters:

Explain this to me. The star Polaris (The "North Star") can always be seen "due north" from anywhere in the world that it is visible. Flat Earth supporters say that's becaseu it is direclly above the arctic region that people call "the North Pole" that is in the middle of the flat Earth, like this image below:
Let's stipulate for a moment (for the sake of argument) that this image of a flat earth with Polaris sitting above the center of it is correct. I know there are issues with this model, but like I said, let's stipulate just for now that it is correct. If this is so, then what about the constellation "Crux" (the "Southern Cross")?

There is not a star that can be always be seen "due south" similar to the North Star in the north. However, the constellation Crux, also called the Southern Cross, is a constellation that is always very close to "due south" when viewed from any place in the world from which it is visible.

So here's my question:
If the Southern Cross always appears to be due south whether it is viewed from Australia, Southern Africa, South America, the Southern Atlantic, Southern Pacific, or the Indian ocean, then please show me on the image above where the Southern Cross can be in relation to the flat Earth in order for it to be visible "due south" from ALL of those locations.

edit on 3/30/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This, the Flat Earth Theory, just goes to show you that humanities "Gullibility" button can be pushed successfully.

But on a deeper note, why is their a Flat Earth Society in the first place? Might their be a deeper covert reason for it to exist?

Ahh yes, the ancient Jews believed in a flat earth, except their version, had a basement

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Ok. This might help. Take a flat (or flat-ish) circular object, a dinner plate would work for this. The edge of the plate will represent the equator in each of the following scenarios.

Flat Earth: Set the plate down flat. Choose a point on the edge to represent an observer's location on the equator. Envision or draw a radius from the center to the point. That line would show north from the point on the edge to the center. Lay a straight object perpendicular to the radius. This line is east/west. Move any object around the edge of the plate. Note the lack of due east/west motion.

Globe Earth: It might help to hold the plate up on edge to see this. Position it to roll toward you and away from you, not left to right. With the plate in front of you, spin it so that the edge rotates downward towards you. You can imagine you are the Sun passing over all points along the equator in a constant westward direction. This matches observation perfectly, something the FE 'model' utterly fails to do.

Hope that helps.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

It's been a few days now since you said you'd look into it, something that shouldn't even take an hour to do. How's your research coming?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation I can't be bothered with the brain ache of trying to understand your concept at the moment sorry, besides it will just turn out that you are wrong anway because the earth is not a globe.

"Boom" microphone dropped.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The scientists are all wrong and pushing their atheist agenda.
If the Earth was really round, and spinning, then aircraft wouldn't need to fly anywhere. They could just lift off, hover and wait for the Earth to spin then drop down to their destination. Therefore, as aircraft do indeed have to fly to their destination, the Earth must be flat. Simple deduction!

Did ya'll know baby Jeebus had a pet Velocoraptor named Steve?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

a reply to: DenyObfuscation I can't be bothered with the brain ache of trying to understand your concept at the moment sorry, besides it will just turn out that you are wrong anway because the earth is not a globe.

"Boom" microphone dropped.

"Brain ache"? That's sad. The "Concept" is quite simple, but apparently FEtards are even simpler.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

translation :

critical thinking [ indeed any thinking ] is too much for qwerm so its decided to pull a ` brave sir robin `

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape I quite often on here get no response to questions I ask, I accept that.

Now for a change it is my turn.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join