It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Earth is flat then why do we have different days and nights?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qwerm

originally posted by: TerryDon79

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: superman2012
a reply to: Qwerm
...but a spherical Earth would it seems.

Well all my life I have been told the Earth was a globe, but of late I am forced to admit that I only believe that because that's what I have been told. I now have to question what else I have taken for granted as fact based on my enforced state education. This is why I say open minded.
I will never travel into space so I will never know one way of the other sadly.
If the Earth turned out to be a globe how would I know?

Why would you need to rely on what you have been told? You can totally ignore what you have been told about the shape of the earth, and acquire your own personal evidence for a spheroid Earth by simply observing the world around you, and then applying your own critical thinking skills.

That's the way the ancient Greeks knew the Earth was a sphere; they didn't have NASA or anyone telling them it was. They observed the world around them, and they ascertained on their own that the Earth was a spheroid. You don't need to have anyone tell you, either, because you can -- just like the ancient Greeks -- figure out the shape of the Earth yourself.

One quick piece of evidence would be how the stars toward the North get higher in the sky as you travel North, and the stars in the south get higher in the sky as you travel south.

Another would be the way the Sun sets below the horizon. If the Earth were flat, the Sun would not get lower in the sky at sunset and then slip over the horizon -- it would simply seem to get farther and farther away, getting smaller and smaller as it moved away from you.

Bu the Sun doesn't do that. What its does do (set over the horizon) is consistent with a spherical Earth and is INconsistent with a flat Earth.

My observation is that the Sun shrinks into the distance and even appears to deflate, it is not the case that it retains it's size and descends below the line of the horizon, I don't SEE that you said with my own eyes.

Wait, what?!

You don't see the sun come up from below the horizon at sun rise and go below the horizon at sun set?

Do you walk around with your eyes closed?

The sun shrinks at sun set, It is what I have seen.

I think it's time you got your eyes checked.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Well all my life I have been told the Earth was a globe, but of late I am forced to admit that I only believe that because that's what I have been told. I now have to question what else I have taken for granted as fact based on my enforced state education. This is why I say open minded.

Why would you need to rely on what you have been told? You can totally ignore what you have been told about the shape of the earth, and acquire your own personal evidence for a spheroid Earth by simply observing the world around you, and then applying your own critical thinking skills.

That's the way the ancient Greeks knew the Earth was a sphere; they didn't have NASA or anyone telling them it was. They observed the world around them, and they ascertained on their own that the Earth was a spheroid. You don't need to have anyone tell you, either, because you can -- just like the ancient Greeks -- figure out the shape of the Earth yourself.

One quick piece of evidence would be how the stars toward the North get higher in the sky as you travel North, and the stars in the south get higher in the sky as you travel south.

Another would be the way the Sun sets below the horizon. If the Earth were flat, the Sun would not get lower in the sky at sunset and then slip over the horizon -- it would simply seem to get farther and farther away, getting smaller and smaller as it moved away from you.

Bu the Sun doesn't do that. What its does do (set over the horizon) is consistent with a spherical Earth and is INconsistent with a flat Earth.

My observation is that the Sun shrinks into the distance and even appears to deflate, it is not the case that it retains it's size and descends below the line of the horizon, I don't SEE that you said with my own eyes.

Thank you for your courteous input, what I struggle with are simple observations for example, if a plane fly's in a straight line on the horizon then how come it does not fly into space? after all the earth is curved, or if extreme gravity keeps humans on the equator line from being propelled off into space because of the spin then what keeps humans from being squished on the north and south pole? these are just a few of many things that make no sense to me.

Because gravity comes from the center mass of the planet. That means that gravity (the force pulling us down constantly) is pretty much the same wherever you are on the planet.

This is less than basic science.

Ok so if it is pretty much the same, and is enough to hold people at 1000mph at the equator, what of people at the poles that are spinning at lets say 250mph, gravity will crush them.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Thank you for your courteous input, what I struggle with are simple observations for example, if a plane fly's in a straight line on the horizon then how come it does not fly into space? after all the earth is curved, or if extreme gravity keeps humans on the equator line from being propelled off into space because of the spin then what keeps humans from being squished on the north and south pole? these are just a few of many things that make no sense to me.

Because gravity comes from the center mass of the planet. That means that gravity (the force pulling us down constantly) is pretty much the same wherever you are on the planet.

Ok so if it is pretty much the same, and is enough to hold people at 1000mph at the equator, what of people at the poles that are spinning at lets say 250mph, gravity will crush them.

You're looking at it completely wrong.

You're looking at a ball spinning in a universe that is gravity. The universe has near to zero gravity, it's the celestial bodies that have gravity. Also, the gravity at the poles would be less, but have the same effect. That means the effect equals the same all over the globe.

Our movement through space is relative to us and us alone. If you're in space moving 2000mph and there are no close bodies, you would be hard pushed to determine your speed. You would also "feel" like you weren't moving at all, until a body gave you a reference for speed.
edit on 2932016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

You're looking at a ball spinning in a universe that is gravity. The universe has near to zero gravity, it's the celestial bodies that have gravity.

Our movement through space is relative to us and us alone. If you're in space moving 2000mph and there are no close bodies, you would be hard pushed to determine your speed. You would also "feel" like you weren't moving at all, until a body gave you a reference for speed.

Friend, mass has gravity according to "science" spin propels according to "science" to keep people on the planet you need an equilibrium between the two, the dynamics of poles and equator do not work is this model.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You're looking at a ball spinning in a universe that is gravity. The universe has near to zero gravity, it's the celestial bodies that have gravity.

Friend, mass has gravity according to "science" spin propels according to "science" to keep people on the planet you need an equilibrium between the two, the dynamics of poles and equator do not work is this model.

Of course they do. The gravity at the poles is actually measurably less than the equator. But the difference in the gravitational force equals the same effect.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Of course they do. The gravity at the poles is actually measurably less than the equator. But the difference in the gravitational force equals the same effect.

Oh ok, so why is gravity not equal on the planet? many thanks for your time on this

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Oh ok, so why is gravity not equal on the planet? many thanks for your time on this

It's not equal on any planet, star, moon. It's all to do with the insides of the cekestial body, what its made of, the spin, the size and the age.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

It's not equal on any planet, star, moon. It's all to do with the insides of the cekestial body, what its made of, the spin, the size and the age.

wow fascinating, could you explain to me the age variable ?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Gravity doesn't start off doing its job properly right away. Time can help gravity stabilise or destabilise.
edit on 2932016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Gravity doesn't start off doing its job properly right away. Time can help gravity stabilise or destabilise.

You know what, I think the
Earth is flat.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Earth is flat.

Which is what you were saying you weren't a few pages ago. Yet when we said you believed it you went on the defensive.

Do you even science?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Earth is flat.

Which is what you were saying you weren't a few pages ago. Yet when we said you believed it you went on the defensive.

Do you even science?
What do you expect when I'm told that age is a gravitational variable. I have to retain some self respect friend.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Earth is flat.

Do you even science?
What do you expect when I'm told that age is a gravitational variable. I have to retain some self respect friend.
Let me guess, you also think the planet is 6,000 years old, right?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Taking the other side of that "argument", why do you now believe the Earth to be flat? Have you seen it from space? Are you just going by what you read someone say on the internet?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

YouTube said it=true.

You should know this by now.

/sarcasm

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Taking the other side of that "argument", why do you now believe the Earth to be flat? Have you seen it from space? Are you just going by what you read someone say on the internet?

Information is information, whether it be a lie or truth, but we work with information and assess it, and we conclude.
For me I am not biased, and so I think I have a better standpoint to draw a conclusion than somebody that practices the alter.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Well, now you're just lying.

I'm also positive you're trolling at this point.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

If the planet is flat, why can't I see Norway, Sweden or the Northern European continent from where I am in Scotland? I'm on the top of hill on the east coast yet all I can see when I look out is water (and ships and boats).

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

a reply to: TerryDon79
Yes that is if gravity exists, but some would say it does not exist, some would say that there is simply up and down.

That does not explain why objects in zero gravity (or close to it) converge into a sphere (or close to it).

If gravity is constant and keeps us from flying off the planet on the equator line for example, then what happens at the poles? if it is a balance a equilibrium then at the north pole people would be crushed.

Stop listening to The Morgile. Why do you even believe it?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Wait, what?!

You don't see the sun come up from below the horizon at sun rise and go below the horizon at sun set?

Do you walk around with your eyes closed?

Have you ever tried to measure it with.... anything?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join