It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Earth is flat then why do we have different days and nights?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qwerm

originally posted by: superman2012

originally posted by: eNumbra

The south pole is the outer rim of the flat earth.

So the south pole is a giant border fence keeping out aliens?

Not in my mind, I would say that the powers that be couldn't possibly allow a flat earth to be proved true to all mankind, such a result would utterly change the face of the earth.

Why? Why did we (your claim) go from believing the Earth was flat, to believing it is round when it is (your claim) flat? Why not stick with the status quo? What possible benefit is there for this huge lie?

Heliocentrism was invented 1500 -1600 by Mikołaj Kopernik at a time when sun worship was the modern vogue of the day.
His theory at base was this question ; why wouldn't anybody put a lamp in the center of a dark room ?
Heliocentrism today is the backbone of Darwins' theory of evolution = spinning gravitational masses amassing globed forms.
IMO

That's not what I asked.

Why did the Earth go from flat to round? What is the conspiracy? Why would people believe this (and prove it to be true) if it wasn't round? What is the reasoning to go from flat to round?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Not in my mind, I would say that the powers that be couldn't possibly allow a flat earth to be proved true to all mankind, such a result would utterly change the face of the earth.

Why? Why did we (your claim) go from believing the Earth was flat, to believing it is round when it is (your claim) flat? Why not stick with the status quo? What possible benefit is there for this huge lie?

Heliocentrism was invented 1500 -1600 by Mikołaj Kopernik at a time when sun worship was the modern vogue of the day.
His theory at base was this question ; why wouldn't anybody put a lamp in the center of a dark room ?
Heliocentrism today is the backbone of Darwins' theory of evolution = spinning gravitational masses amassing globed forms.
IMO

That's not what I asked.

Why did the Earth go from flat to round? What is the conspiracy? Why would people believe this (and prove it to be true) if it wasn't round? What is the reasoning to go from flat to round?

I was sure I was understanding your question, I try something different.
A globe model suits the big bang theory, a flat Earth suits creation theory, never the twain shall meet.
or Mikołaj Kopernik put the sun at the centre of the system because sun worship was popular at that time, whereas before - the Earth was centre place.

edit on 2932016 by Qwerm because: More info

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The earth isn't flat...but the moon is!!!

I'm freaking out man!

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

IMO

That's not what I asked.

A globe model suits the big bang theory, a flat Earth suits creation theory, never the twain shall meet.
or Mikołaj Kopernik put the sun at the centre of the system because sun worship was popular at that time, whereas before - the Earth was centre place.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, you are saying science says the earth is a sphere, vs the Bible saying it is flat?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

IMO

That's not what I asked.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, you are saying science says the earth is a sphere, vs the Bible saying it is flat?

I am not sure that the Bible says the Earth is flat, it can be interpreted to say that though its just a matter of perspective.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

IMO

That's not what I asked.

I am not sure that the Bible says the Earth is flat, it can be interpreted to say that though its just a matter of perspective.

I must have misunderstood you then. Why is it that you believe it is flat then?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Could I just add to my last post that with the apparent design found in life, it finds no consequence to atheists thinking, however to find that the Earth was indeed flat (which would be no greater in scope than design in nature) it would cause a huge outrage.

To answer your question; I am open minded to all possibilities, and a flat Earth wouldn't change my mind on existence.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Qwerm
...but a spherical Earth would it seems.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Well all my life I have been told the Earth was a globe, but of late I am forced to admit that I only believe that because that's what I have been told. I now have to question what else I have taken for granted as fact based on my enforced state education. This is why I say open minded.
I will never travel into space so I will never know one way of the other sadly.
If the Earth turned out to be a globe how would I know?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

You can prove the earth is a sphere with some pretty simple tests, maths and common sense.

Here's a pretty easy one. In zero gravity things tend to clump together in a (relatively) spherical shape. Considering we started of as things and bits it's only natural that we would come together as a sphere.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Well all my life I have been told the Earth was a globe, but of late I am forced to admit that I only believe that because that's what I have been told. I now have to question what else I have taken for granted as fact based on my enforced state education. This is why I say open minded.

Why would you need to rely on what you have been told? You can totally ignore what you have been told about the shape of the earth, and acquire your own personal evidence for a spheroid Earth by simply observing the world around you, and then applying your own critical thinking skills.

That's the way the ancient Greeks knew the Earth was a sphere; they didn't have NASA or anyone telling them it was. They observed the world around them, and they ascertained on their own that the Earth was a spheroid. You don't need to have anyone tell you, either, because you can -- just like the ancient Greeks -- figure out the shape of the Earth yourself.

One quick piece of evidence would be how the stars toward the North get higher in the sky as you travel North, and the stars in the south get higher in the sky as you travel south.

Another would be the way the Sun sets below the horizon. If the Earth were flat, the Sun would not get lower in the sky at sunset and then slip over the horizon -- it would simply seem to get farther and farther away, getting smaller and smaller as it moved away from you.

Bu the Sun doesn't do that. What its does do (set over the horizon) is consistent with a spherical Earth and is INconsistent with a flat Earth.

edit on 3/29/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79
Yes that is if gravity exists, but some would say it does not exist, some would say that there is simply up and down.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Yes that is if gravity exists, but some would say it does not exist, some would say that there is simply up and down.

That does not explain why objects in zero gravity (or close to it) converge into a sphere (or close to it).

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

Why would you need to rely on what you have been told? You can totally ignore what you have been told about the shape of the earth, and acquire your own personal evidence for a spheroid Earth by simply observing the world around you, and then applying your own critical thinking skills.

That's the way the ancient Greeks knew the Earth was a sphere; they didn't have NASA or anyone telling them it was. They observed the world around them, and they ascertained on their own that the Earth was a spheroid. You don't need to have anyone tell you, either, because you can -- just like the ancient Greeks -- figure out the shape of the Earth yourself.

One quick piece of evidence would be how the stars toward the North get higher in the sky as you travel North, and the stars in the south get higher in the sky as you travel south.

Another would be the way the Sun sets below the horizon. If the Earth were flat, the Sun would not get lower in the sky at sunset and then slip over the horizon -- it would simply seem to get farther and farther away, getting smaller and smaller as it moved away from you.

Bu the Sun doesn't do that. What its does do (set over the horizon) is consistent with a spherical Earth and is INconsistent with a flat Earth.

My observation is that the Sun shrinks into the distance and even appears to deflate, it is not the case that it retains it's size and descends below the line of the horizon, I don't SEE that you said with my own eyes.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

My observation is that the Sun shrinks into the distance and even appears to deflate, it is not the case that it retains it's size and descends below the line of the horizon, I don't SEE that you said with my own eyes.

Wait, what?!

You don't see the sun come up from below the horizon at sun rise and go below the horizon at sun set?

Do you walk around with your eyes closed?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Thank you for your courteous input, what I struggle with are simple observations for example, if a plane fly's in a straight line on the horizon then how come it does not fly into space? after all the earth is curved, or if extreme gravity keeps humans on the equator line from being propelled off into space because of the spin then what keeps humans from being squished on the north and south pole? these are just a few of many things that make no sense to me.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Thank you for your courteous input, what I struggle with are simple observations for example, if a plane fly's in a straight line on the horizon then how come it does not fly into space? after all the earth is curved, or if extreme gravity keeps humans on the equator line from being propelled off into space because of the spin then what keeps humans from being squished on the north and south pole? these are just a few of many things that make no sense to me.

Because gravity comes from the center mass of the planet. That means that gravity (the force pulling us down constantly) is pretty much the same wherever you are on the planet.

This is less than basic science.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

That does not explain why objects in zero gravity (or close to it) converge into a sphere (or close to it).

If gravity is constant and keeps us from flying off the planet on the equator line for example, then what happens at the poles? if it is a balance a equilibrium then at the north pole people would be crushed.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

If gravity is constant and keeps us from flying off the planet on the equator line for example, then what happens at the poles? if it is a balance a equilibrium then at the north pole people would be crushed.

Look at my post above yours.

It's basic science.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Wait, what?!

You don't see the sun come up from below the horizon at sun rise and go below the horizon at sun set?

Do you walk around with your eyes closed?

The sun shrinks at sun set, It is what I have seen.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join