It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Earth is flat then why do we have different days and nights?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

I watched the whole thing.

I don't know what was worse. Her voice or her pullover.

What about her mathematical ''Proof"? Evidently people are lapping this up.

*sparkle sound*

Yeah. Using an equilateral triangle at 60 degrees yet the triangle is far from an equilateral. Her maths were, well, funny.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qwerm
The human eye can only see 3.1 miles.

The sun, moon and stars are all within 3.1 miles? Those planes flying at 20k feet? Are those within 3.1 miles too?

www.livescience.com...

The Earth's surface curves out of sight at a distance of 3.1 miles, or 5 kilometers. But our visual acuity extends far beyond the horizon. If Earth were flat, or if you were standing atop a mountain surveying a larger-than-usual patch of the planet, you could perceive bright lights hundreds of miles distant. On a dark night, you could even see a candle flame flickering up to 30 mi. (48 km) away.

If you're attempting to troll or play devil's advocate, just, please stop. If not, if you actually believe this stuff, for the love of god don't breed.

There is no visual barrier you can't see past. If the object is large enough and you have a straight line of sight you can see it.
edit on 3/27/2016 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

The human eye can only see 3.1 miles.

The sun, moon and stars are all within 3.1 miles? Those planes flying at 20k feet? Are those within 3.1 miles too?

www.livescience.com...

The Earth's surface curves out of sight at a distance of 3.1 miles, or 5 kilometers. But our visual acuity extends far beyond the horizon. If Earth were flat, or if you were standing atop a mountain surveying a larger-than-usual patch of the planet, you could perceive bright lights hundreds of miles distant. On a dark night, you could even see a candle flame flickering up to 30 mi. (48 km) away.

If you're attempting to troll or play devil's advocate, just, please stop. If not, if you actually believe this stuff, for the love of god don't breed.

There is no visual barrier you can't see past. If the object is large enough and you have a straight line of sight you can see it.

My answer was relative to the question posed, saying that though you make a good point.
I am still waiting for the photos btw.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

My answer was relative to the question posed, saying that though you make a good point.
I am still waiting for the photos btw.

If you're still referring to your 50 or so pictures of earth from orbit I don't have nor will I bother to gather them. I do have an interesting picture for you though.

upload.wikimedia.org...

A view across a 20-km-wide bay in the coast of Spain. Note the curvature of the Earth hiding the base of the buildings on the far shore.

If the earth was flat you could see the land the building is built on, or the photographer is in for one hell of a tidal wave.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Photoshop!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: eNumbra

Photoshop!!!

Shush, you.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

All I can muster anymore on this topic

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

It would appear that your equine compatriot is deceased yet you continue your futile attempt at motivating him by an unnecessary use of force.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Indeed, he will come around I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Look, this is directed at all members. The vast majority of us know that the Earth is a globe, it's honestly not a "real" debate. With that said, there are a lot of very intelligent people out there that are producing convincing arguments, media and material to say otherwise.

This is generally done to garner Youtube views and collect revenue but not everyone has the same means at education, has the same concept of empirical scientific data and moreover....... I have debated countless flat Earthers and the more intelligent ones end in a very hard fought battle without citing NASA and other international space agencies.

ATS is about educating people why they are wrong and doing it in a polite and helping hand fashion but all I see in this thread are members calling other members names, insulting their personal intelligence and belittling them for what they don't or may not understand.

For God's sake, I'm the last one to be a bleeding heart but lets educate the less fortunate through proper means of education instead of ridiculing, name calling and bullying. That's my two cents anyway.
edit on 27-3-2016 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

If he knew what he was doing he'd rub the edge of his shoe sole hard against it's shins, or tuck a handful of straw under it's tail and light it. Sometimes they're just playing possum.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Helious
Look, this is directed at all members. The vast majority of us know that the Earth is a globe, it's honestly not a "real" debate. With that said, there are a lot of very intelligent people out there that are producing convincing arguments, media and material to say otherwise.

As I said in another post a few pages back, there are people out there who have developed a model to ascribe ONE or a couple empirical observations at a time to the flat Earth model, but those models fail when someone attempts to apply that same model to explain EVERY empirical observation.

Sure -- they can explain one (or maybe a couple) observation with one flat-Earth model. However, to explain ALL of the observations we can see of the world and sky around us, only the spherical model fits ALL of those observations.

Back in that post, I mentioned a guy who built a really convincing model of how a Sun can move around a flat earth making days and nights (I posted that video below). However, it only explains days and nights, and doesn't explain how I see the Sun setting over the horizon. Going by this model, the Sun shouldn't set, but just get smaller and smaller in the sky as it get farther and farther away. However, that's NOT what we see in reality.

This model conveniently ignores the pesky problem of "why does the Sun set below the horizon"
So -- no. People may be providing an explanation that covers specific observations and providing a flat earth explanation for those observations, but nobody has created an explanation that covers all of the evidence that we can see for a Spherical Earth.

edit on 3/28/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It's not flat. I had to research because we're having trojan horse event with inflooding ME, so checked on Islam and flat earth and found out its a match.

Now people say christians but, the bible isn't entrenched in theocracy, and many Christians are Scientists, they see the bible more metaphorically.

ISLAM AND THE FLAT EARTH, THIS VIDEO EXPLAINS THE TRUTH

Top Islamic Scholar Says The World Was Created Flat

There is usually propaganda and an agenda behind movements and this one is absolute dribble.

The Solar System is like a cell and our cells are 3D.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

It shouldn't matter what people (Christians, Muslims, NASA, or whomever) say in those videos.

Ignore those videos and just go out and make your own observations, use your own critical thinking skills, and draw your own conclusions. Why blindly go by what a person says in a video when that video does not match observations you can make yourself about the world around you?

These videos offer up nothing meaningful.

edit on 3/28/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The south pole is the outer rim of the flat earth.

So the south pole is a giant border fence keeping out aliens?

Not in my mind, I would say that the powers that be couldn't possibly allow a flat earth to be proved true to all mankind, such a result would utterly change the face of the earth.

Why? Why did we (your claim) go from believing the Earth was flat, to believing it is round when it is (your claim) flat? Why not stick with the status quo? What possible benefit is there for this huge lie?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rkingpin

?? the earth is a sphere?
why do people still believe the earth is flat? that maxes absolutely no sense.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rkingpin
Never mind. I scrubbed my original reply, because I think other members have said enough. No sense repeating it.

All I'd like to know is why anybody is even bothering to post flat-earth or anti-flat-earth topics at all. The debate was resolved an awfully long time ago. If some people still don't want to believe that this planet is (almost) spherical, just leave them to their ignorance and instead try to sell them bridges you don't actually own.

edit on 28/3/16 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

The south pole is the outer rim of the flat earth.

So the south pole is a giant border fence keeping out aliens?

Not in my mind, I would say that the powers that be couldn't possibly allow a flat earth to be proved true to all mankind, such a result would utterly change the face of the earth.

Why? Why did we (your claim) go from believing the Earth was flat, to believing it is round when it is (your claim) flat? Why not stick with the status quo? What possible benefit is there for this huge lie?

Heliocentrism was invented 1500 -1600 by Mikołaj Kopernik at a time when sun worship was the modern vogue of the day.
His theory at base was this question ; why wouldn't anybody put a lamp in the center of a dark room ?
Heliocentrism today is the backbone of Darwins' theory of evolution = spinning gravitational masses amassing globed forms.
IMO

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Heliocentrism today is the backbone of Darwins' theory of evolution = spinning gravitational masses amassing globed forms.
IMO

You don't want the earth to be a globe because it doesn't fit with (I'm guessing) religious views?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join