It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pets in a survival situation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Back when we were hunters and gatherers was when canines were first domesticated, they were exceedingly useful in such a lifestyle, back when there were rival tribes, megafauna, and other dangers. They were domesticated for their usefulness in a time most comparable to the SHTF scenario, and you all want me to think that canines are a liability worth nothing more than food?
edit on 3/27/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

In all of my reading I have noticed that by and large people say dump your pets, they are unnecessary baggage. I am curious to see what folks here think, or if they even considered it... I have to think some of these authors I've read never considered it. Personally every plan I have made includes my pets...

I'm pretty much right there with you.

In a way though too, my pets and animals are PART of my preps. You may ask what the difference is, but really, any farmer can tell you.

After all: (Pets)

The dogs - Are great alarms, and the big dog, can even be a combatant. (not to mention, a deterrent)

The cats - Keep down the mice population in the barn

The bird - Early warning of any airborne toxins

Horses - Transportation post SHTF

(Animals)

Chickens - Eggs, of course (and once non-laying, meat)

The Bunnies - Post SHTF, meat makers (at least their offspring, I mean, at some point you just have to)

Bugging out though, would likely just be the big dog and the horses.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As long as you aren't down to the level of eating mice, you can set traps and feed the mice to your pets. Taxoplasmosis is a threat, but unless you have a pregnant human in your party, you probably wouldn't be personally threatened.

Some "outdoor cats" require little or no food unless its cold outside. I had a cat that preferred grasshoppers to his dried food. I thought they were disgusting. The grasshoppers tasted terrible, even grilled.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Great SHTF dog

The Dogo Argentino also known as the Argentine Mastiff is a large, white, muscular dog that was developed in Argentina primarily for the purpose of big-game hunting, including wild boar; the breeder, Antonio Nores Martínez, also wanted a dog that would exhibit steadfast bravery and willingly protect its human companion to the death. It was first bred in 1928, from the Cordoba Fighting Dog along with a wide array of other breeds including the Great Dane

You can read up on the economic collapse of argentina and this particular breed had a reputation for protection and loyalty that was second to none...

Worth every ounce of extra trouble to plan for feeding them in your GOTH plan.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Some good points though...post SHTF, what do pets eat?

I'm sure our cats would quickly all become outside cats. They should really have plenty to eat, but like the dogs, they'd also get table scraps, as would the bunnies, at least the produce scraps.

We'd probably have to semi-free range the chickens.

For the horses, we started planting some specific grasses in the pastures, that in a pinch, would suffice to support them. We'd also be growing apples and carrots by then, so they'd like that.

We try not to let ANY food items go to waste. SOMETHING there will eat it, if it's edible. Eventually, we'll have goats, so they will be the final level of food waste disposal.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I hear guinea pigs are tasty. They're a common meat served in various places in South America.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
My cat is my BFF.
In a post shtf situation, he stays with me.
He is THE guard cat. Has warned me of prowlers before, and will even alert me if neighbors are coming home 4:30- 5am. Wasn't real fond of that at the time, but I was pregnant and husband was away. He walks guard duty around the entire house at night and nips the back of my hand to wake and alert me anytime he's not happy about something. Walks on a leash, comes when called, fetches. Has hearing and a sense of smell far superior to my own. Has chased large dogs away and is a pretty good judge of human character. Has alerted me to untrustworthy people in the past. People I thought were just fine he showed an immediate dislike to, and I was like wtf? They ended up being "wrong" in some way.

Post shtf, you even look at him funny or hungrily, you may not be waking up in AM. He's family, you are not. Family always comes first. Kill one of my family members and I'll die to return the favor.

Protein, that would be why we have moringas. (Not to mention the water purification value and wood. Damn things grow 12' a year, and are drought resistant.)

Fido feeds you once, and then you have to live with the memory that you ate him while you sit and wonder where that next meal is coming from.

We have iguanas all over, cut off the tail, let it go, tail regrows. Heard from a friend, tastes like chicken. Not to mention chickens run wild in many places here, and we are getting hens soon as our coop area is ready
If I can't feed myself w/o resorting to petricide, perhaps I deserve to die.
There really is no bugging out on an island, it's hunker down, maybe go dark and survive or die.
Or load everybody into the kayaks and paddle off into the sunset.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

We try not to let ANY food items go to waste. SOMETHING there will eat it, if it's edible. Eventually, we'll have goats, so they will be the final level of food waste disposal.

I wanted to emphasize this one. We do this with leftovers too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join