It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump reveals when he thinks America was great

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Without touching the social or political realities of the period, my argument for there being some truth here is this;
Compare an average issue of Popular Mechanics/Science from the 1950s to an issue from the last few years. Post WWII, consumerism was really just starting to really take off, people were mostly used to fixing/building things themselves. They worked all week at their "day job," and on the weekends, or after dinner during the week, went out to the garage or shed and worked on personal projects for entertainment. Many businesses sprang from one person doing their own thing, DIY.
An average issue of Popular Mechanics/Science from the time was full of, "Build your own..." There was one issue I seen from about 1960ish: " How to build your own 4 cylinder inline engine. "
Compared to current publications that are basically sale pitches for gadgets most people don't actually need, I find the old issues a repository of almost lost knowledge. The DIY spirit does still live obviously, but it is not embraced by as many people as it used to be.
If anything, barring war, I think that in the long run the us could benefit from having the worst president ever. Someone to destroy the economy and send us back to 1929. Because the people who grew up during the depression and then survived WWII were some of the strongest, resilient and productive people to ever exist.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TaleDawn

You act like I don't know America is the reason the ME is so messed up right now. Well, at least Trump was against the Iraq War... maybe if we had him in office back then this #show wouldn't be happening right now.

Oh, and America isn't forcing Europe to open it's gates... You can thank the Liberal media along with the EU and Angela Merkel for that.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TaleDawn
a reply to: xuenchen

Sure he does like bush did in 2000.

No Nation building. Trump is right on thing his voters are stupid.

You read the whole thing that fast?

A couple of points are right up your alley.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Dude are you drunk?

link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

But what the real point is that we just want to go back to when we won a war right? Because that is all I am seeing it the thread, that is just no one pushing us around those days. All whole ignoring the social issues it. But hey if we can go back to the tax rate back then, let's do it.

link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: MystikMushroom

In my opinion women then held the families together knew where and what their children were doing now not so much, look at the big cities for examples.

Now women are more miserable trying to compete in the workplace.

Are there any studies or polls that support your opinion? I'd like to read them. I did some Google searches and couldn't find any.

Oh boy, you are so cute. Studies and polls. How adorable. I bet the girls can't keep their hands off of you.

Let me clue you in on something Mr. Mushroom....My Mom and her 3 sisters are all women of the 60s. My dad had two brothers who both also married women of the 60s. These 6 women could not be more different in their retrospective outlooks. Yet they all came from the same socio-economic backgrounds. They all married men of similar backgrounds. They all lived within 50 miles of the small Pennsylvania town that they we all originate from. If women from such similar backgrounds can have such a variable outlook on women in the workplace, child rearing, etc,, then how reliable are polls or studies that attempt to come to a conclusion from tens of millions of women from different backgrounds, using only a few hundred or a few thousand subjects? Really?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: thesaneone

In my opinion women then held the families together knew where and what their children were doing now not so much, look at the big cities for examples. Now women are more miserable trying to compete in the workplace.

In other words, back then, women knew their place and were happier and more content in those confinements!

LOL

Go watch some more "Father Knows Best" and "Ozzie and Harriet", believing that to be the reality of your average 1950's family!

More like.........

Try again sweetie, I'm saying women where the glue that held the family together.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

SJW, eh?

How 'bout you tell us where he's wrong?

White male, or black/hispanic male? which would you choose to be? Go ahead, tell me.

White male, or female of any ethnicity? Even white females were told, in essence, thanks for helping win a war, but go home now and get pregnant.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

All that white guilt must be weighing down hard. Don't worry Bernie and his BLM agitators will set things straight.

edit on 26-3-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

Those great years happened when America still had jobs and industry.

Trump isn't even in the oval office yet, and guess what? Remember How Trump Threatened Ford? Well Look at the HUGE Announcement They Just Made.

When America had jobs and industry...Your words, not mine.

And what does Trump love to do? Ship jobs over seas to increase profits. Look closely at where my tie was made:

Proving what?

If I started a company right now I'd outsource manufacturing, why wouldn't I? My company would die otherwise

I want a candidate who will rip up our trade deals. You used to be able to come out of HS and if you where willing to work you could support a family, either on the assembly line or any type of manufacturing. There's no reason for company's to keep jobs here and that's the point.

I graduated an electrical engineer, i could still be making 6 figures. I'm going back to school now for veterinary cause I want to do something I care about. I'm racking up more loans and wasting more time, so I'm not driven by being taxed more or money. Most people though can't even graduate college and get a job. The trade deals don't effect me personally, but if you give a # about the rest of the country which I do you'd see they've been sold out. I used to be a liberal and voted Obama. I would have been willing to give Bernie a shot but that's a fixed primary. The point is to stop making it suicidal for any company to stay here. A rising tide floats all ships. You don't wish people here where doing better?
edit on 26-3-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Sure, the late 40's and 50's were "great"...

If you were a white male.

And you would trade the marginal progress that has been made in areas like race and gender for the overall general downward spiral that is now threatening to enslave us all in an apathetic stupor as we slowly lose our rights while the bars and chains slowly but surely rise up around us?

Equally powerless is not exactly the kind of equality I'd be proud of.

And also, I think the civil rights movement was just fine, except that it was full of Marxist opportunists who just used it to get a microphone. Now when you think about it, since when does a Marxist have any room whatsoever to talk about human rights? Whether it's a black Marxist masquerading as a civil rights advocate or a feminist, many of them share a common fundamental dishonesty in that they just used the people they said they were helping to get people to listen to their real messages.
edit on 26-3-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: MystikMushroom

In my opinion women then held the families together knew where and what their children were doing now not so much, look at the big cities for examples.

Now women are more miserable trying to compete in the workplace.

Are there any studies or polls that support your opinion? I'd like to read them. I did some Google searches and couldn't find any.

I said it was my opinion so why would I have polls or studies so yea you won't find anything on Google.

link   

originally posted by: seagull

SJW, eh?

How 'bout you tell us where he's wrong?

White male, or black/hispanic male? which would you choose to be? Go ahead, tell me.

White male, or female of any ethnicity? Even white females were told, in essence, thanks for helping win a war, but go home now and get pregnant.

No thanks, it's not worth the effort. You have your agenda set and nothing I type will change that. Keep looking pal.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

The majority of women were much happier back then being fulltime mothers before feminists denigrated women for being fulltime mothers.

And do you have some kind of source for that claim? Any studies, polls or articles that prove that women were happier being homemakers in the happy 1950's? If so, I'd love to read them! I'm all ears!

Youve been shown studies that blacks were better of during the 50's but you didnt listen..You arent here to learn, only cry racism and hate President Trump. You SJW have been tuned out by those who make actually participate in society.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Personal anecdotes and stories don't make something true or factual.

Taking personal shots at me isn't going to help prove your point either.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

But what the real point is that we just want to go back to when we won a war right? Because that is all I am seeing it the thread, that is just no one pushing us around those days. All whole ignoring the social issues it. But hey if we can go back to the tax rate back then, let's do it.

Those are your words, not mine. I agree that a higher tax rate for corporations and capital gains over 1millon is probably warranted, and discrimination is wrong. But honestly, some of the programs that are the result of SJWs are just crap...and crap is putting it nicely.,

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Personal anecdotes and stories don't make something true or factual.

Taking personal shots at me isn't going to help prove your point either.

Typical....disregard any data because it isn't collected by somebody of whom you approve. Let me ask you Mr. Mushroom...have you ever labored in your life? Seriously

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Pointing out salient fact is "white guilt" on my part? Clearly you know nothing about me.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

wonder if Soviet Russia would admit that if it wasn't for the lend lease program and the continued war on the western front that they probably would have been overrun by Hitler and company? See how this works?

Except there wasn't a hope of this happening. Hitler's dreams of world conquest were doomed the instant he opened that second front with Russia.

To address the thread topic: what we see here is people reared on nostalgic television programmes made for white American audiences arguing with people who actually know history. More proof, as ever, that Trump, like all demagogues, appeals to the ignorant, the prejudiced and the angry to the same degree that he appalls the educated.

We who know our history can see where you who don't are heading.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Try again sweetie, I'm saying women where the glue that held the family together.

Kinda one sided there "darlin"..........

Didn't work then and won't work now. Dysfunctional families have always been with us, the 40's and 50's were no different. I know, i grew up in the "duck and cover" 1950's.

Ah......the GOOD 'OLE DAYS!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join