It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam a religion of peace?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
But when a Christian gets nastalgic and chooses to go back to their roots they get the hippidy dippidy teachings of Jesus...

I don't know about that. I was raised Baptist... and the fear of the vengeful Lord was a constant topic.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
originally posted by: TechniXcality

TechniXality: But when a Christian gets nastalgic and chooses to go back to their roots they get the hippidy dippidy teachings of Jesus...

SkepticOverlord: I don't know about that. I was raised Baptist... and the fear of the vengeful Lord was a constant topic.

I am not sure each statement cancel each other perfectly; so cannot push the 'restart' button to change the entire shape/form/intent of the Universe. I have to be exact in determination (you are SO CLOSE) by a kittens whisker

edit on 28-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
To be honest, the whole discussion about the comparison between christianity and islam is a mere derailment of this thread.

I believe the question was whether islam is a religion of peace like it is proclamed to be, not if christianity is better or not.

In my view, even if islam spreads and becomes the sole religion on earth, there will be no question of ummah, we need only to look at the heart of islam to see how that future will look like.

-slavery
-oppression
-dictatorship
-discrimination
-terrorism
-inhumanity

The most true religion is that which isn't written and won't be written because every spiritual journey is personal and bound in time.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

Just another instance of Western Masochism, a brilliant phrase coined by Pascal Bruckner in his work The Tyranny of Guilt. Westerners have so much remorse towards the history of western culture that their guilt obscures reality, where they no longer care for the good of western culture, where apparently we now need to bring up the Old Testament, need to quote the bible, and refer to the Canaanites to further a discussion on Islam, so that we may self-flagellate ourselves and grovel as if we had the monopoly on all things evil. It's pure vanity.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Geez, I wish I could give you more than one star for that. That was very well-written, and a good argument.

I actually had a thread last year that quoted an article from Dinesh D'Souza about the death toll comparisons of religions vs Atheist ideologies.

Thread Link

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Very true, indeed.

Can the cycle be broken, though? The future looks bleak, but only time will tell...

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
...where they no longer care for the good of western culture, where apparently we now need to bring up the Old Testament, need to quote the bible, and refer to the Canaanites to further a discussion on Islam...

Within the context of calling out a religion as violent, it's necessary to compare the histories of the other related religions, Christianity being one, albeit, the more evolved one.

My point has been that we need to get past the pointing of fingers at the religions as causation; all religions inspire radical hate in those predisposed to find a reason to hate. With ISIS, al-Qaeda, and the Taliban, we have an artificial belief system carefully fabricated to become a weapon: Weaponized Islam. And it's the West who created the artificial belief system in the Pakistani schools they created and funded to churn out Weaponized Islam for the Mudjahideen. Zbigniew Brzezinski said, at the time, "If we teach them to hate with a rage, they will be our weapons."

Now that the Weaponized Islam that the West has created is going rogue, the only viable response so as to avoid discussion of its origins, is to demonize Islam. While also creating nice conflicts that require lots and lots of weapons and military industrial profits.

This isn't a religious problem, it's a geopolitical problem wrapped in faux radical ideology.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Very true, indeed.Can the cycle be broken, though? The future looks bleak, but only time will tell...

Any negative thought form (cycle as you call it) can be disarmed/way laid/banana peel slipped with (thoughtfully) well placed humor. Ice skater's get roller wheels, Roller Blade'rs get Ice Skates. Different surfaces meet with the wrong footwear by those wearing. It could be a problem of ones inattentiveness to a situation ill prepared for. Sounds suspiciously like *LIFE EXPERIENCE*.
edit on 28-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Now that the Weaponized Islam that the West has created is going rogue, the only viable response so as to avoid discussion of its origins, is to demonize Islam. While also creating nice conflicts that require lots and lots of weapons and military industrial profits.

Of course the West has some responsibility in the matter, but shouldn't terrorists themselves also be held accountable for committing acts that harm innocent civilians?

If you start a controlled fire in a small section of a forest when camping, go for a walk and come back to find that somebody else has poured gasoline all around your site to make the fire spread, are you solely responsible for the forest eventually burning down?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
ugly thoughts need not be repeated
edit on 29-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
originally posted by: vethumanbeing
originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Of course the West has some responsibility in the matter, but shouldn't terrorists themselves also be held accountable for committing acts that harm innocent civilians?

Islam was born 650 years after Christianity; was this INSERT overlay supposed to be a check or a 'correction' to an already existing Christ Consciousness Awareness? If so, WHY? The armaments left in Iraq were taken by rogue Army officials of rank (Iraqi soldiers); and whatever rank they now are; will do what they wish as became the Fun Factory of terror: ISIS.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I fully agree that the causes are more nuanced than we might expect or assume. But then again, there is only one thing that connects the members of ISIS, and it's neither race, class, nation, or blood.

If there is a principle that any criticism of religion can show, it's that people can be motivated by the content of their beliefs, and these beliefs can be held simultaneously by disparate people's from disparate lands, regardless of territorial, economic, or educational upbringing.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
In your so saying; we are SUNK: NO HOPE FOR THE LIVING or OUR progeny (think happy thoughts and may survive).

(post by Outlier13 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

You are one of a set of many 'base line' averages polled (you are the first to do so by admission yourself admitting to an experiment) you voluntarily participated in a test of the *tards*. Who would respond first in recognition; you did/you won. NO PRIZE.

edit on Tue Mar 29 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Nuance is certainly needed, however, Afghanistan was invaded by Russia who didn't want to lose its influential power.
Of course, the west had everything to gain with a weaker Soviet Union, so the US trained Afghans in order to fight against Russia and with success.
The big difference is however, in contrast to the 80s, now it is not a defending army against an invasion but an army that invades and enslave people, brutally murders in masses, establish and expand an islamic caliphate in which the Saudi version of islam is practised, 'pure islam'.

A version of islam which Saudi Arabia has exported to the west for many years, their branch of islam has led to the formation of extremist groups all over the world.
Especially in Europe where they had every opportunity to radicalize with the help of left wing politics who did prefer pampering instead of acting against growing radicalism, the result is quite clear.
So i disagree with you about this not being a religious problem, it is.
But to say, 'it is islam' simply does not do justice to islam, it is a reinterpretation of islam that is known as wahhabism and salafism.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

"If we teach them to hate with a rage, they will be our weapons."

Happens everywhere - doesn't it? No surprise to some of us watching things unfold here in the good old US of A

Seems like some people (even in this thread) miss your point entirely. Which - lets face it - you would pretty much have to miss it on purpose :-)

Weaponized Christianity has been fomented in many places here in the enlightened west - including our 24 hour news cycle

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Gosh, you have changed your tune from earlier

It's interesting to note as we move away from easter the fact that it was the Romans who put an end to religios death sentences in Israel.
Yes them nasty pagan Romans ended the brutality of the Jewish law.
Yes those same Romans who conquered the Mediterranean and surrounds, held mock battles in sports arenas, to the death, deaths of maybe thousands, maybe many more

Those nasty Romans who didn't condemn Christ, who left the religious leaders, the pious, holy, godly men of the time to condemn and crucify Christ

Yes religion is not peaceful, neither are the non religious

There are none who can claim

Maybe we need to sacrifice a few gays, that should make everyone happy, shouldn't it?
Hate is our nature
Let's learn to love, yes even gays, let's be better
Let's not pretend anymore, pretend we are better

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Gosh, you have changed your tune from earlier

That's been my "tune" the entire time.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

4th post from the op's
Didn't sound like the one you are playing right now

Meh, whatever

Edit

You are skeptic overLORD, ATS OWNER

me, broken servant,
you decide
edit on 29-3-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join