It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans scared they can't bring guns to GOP convention

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

A private property owner can discriminate all they like

They retain ownership and rights to the property and business, but cannot discriminate, regardless of their beliefs without consequence.

You lost me.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

Well lets just call it a breach of good faith then since the venue owner would have had foreknowledge of the importance of exercising our God given rights.

The GOP should intervene on the peoples behalf or is their support of the 2nd amendment just window dressing for their platform.

#opencarrycleveland

K~

If the GOP intervened on the people's behalf it would be an infringement upon the rights of the property owner.

Also, as stated before, the Secret Service would not allow it even if the GOP and the property owner agreed. They squashed that in 2012, I believe. It presents too much of a risk and they would not be able to stop any assassination attempt because there would be firearms everywhere.

At any moment someone could pop-off a few rounds before any of the others would realize what was happening and respond.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

A private property owner can discriminate all they like

They retain ownership and rights to the property and business, but cannot discriminate, regardless of their beliefs without consequence.

You lost me.

A private property owner, such as a home owner, can deny access to his home to anyone he chooses. If they want black people to stay out of his home, he can do that legally.

A private property owner that runs a retail shop cannot. He has rights to property and the business itself, but discrimination opens themselves up to legal action because they are open for business to the general public.

There is a huge difference.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

What huge difference? If it was part of my religion to open carry would that be acceptable to you?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

What huge difference? If it was part of my religion to open carry would that be acceptable to you?

Yes, but if I do not want firearms on my property I can have you ejected or deny you access to my property.

Overall, I think you are misunderstanding the difference between the rights of private property owners of residential and retail/business.

That is where the difference comes in.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Republicans concerned they can't carry their legally owned guns in Cleveland.

fixed that for ya

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Yes, but if I do not want firearms on my property I can have you ejected or deny you access to my property

So by that logic any business should be able to discriminate for any reason including race, religion etc..

Thanks for clarifying.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Republicans concerned they can't carry their legally owned guns in Cleveland.

fixed that for ya

As long as they meet the requirements to carry in the state, why would they be concerned about carrying in Ohio?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Yes, but if I do not want firearms on my property I can have you ejected or deny you access to my property

So by that logic any business should be able to discriminate for any reason including race, religion etc..

Thanks for clarifying.

That is not what I said. In fact, I made a specific distinction. You have to separate private (residential) from business. There are laws that protect people from discrimination in the business sector.

Edit:

By the way, you asked that question in a personal manner, not what is legally acceptable.
edit on 26-3-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

It presents too much of a risk and they would not be able to stop any assassination attempt because there would be firearms everywhere.

Oh please that just sounds like some libbylefty fear propaganda, "oh guns be afraid".
No assassin could get near before being cut down by all the good guys with guns, or are you only good if your SS & on the government payroll.

#opencarrycleveland

Support our Constitutional Rights add your voice.
www.change.org...

Remember guns today God tomorrow, that's right today they tell us where we can have our guns, tomorrow they tell us where we can & cant pray to God Almighty himself.
#opencarrycleveland

K~

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

It presents too much of a risk and they would not be able to stop any assassination attempt because there would be firearms everywhere.

Oh please that just sounds like some libbylefty fear propaganda, "oh guns be afraid".
No assassin could get near before being cut down by all the good guys with guns, or are you only good if your SS & on the government payroll.

#opencarrycleveland

Support our Constitutional Rights add your voice.
www.change.org...

Remember guns today God tomorrow, that's right today they tell us where we can have our guns, tomorrow they tell us where we can & cant pray to God Almighty himself.
#opencarrycleveland

K~

You assume too much. I may be a Lefty, but I carry myself.

The problem is you believe just because so many people in the room have firearms that they could stop someone before they complete their objective.

That is the "Rambo-like" attitude that gives us 2nd amendment supporters a bad name.

Being a bit of a drama queen, aren't we?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I don't see anywhere in the law where property ownership is separated into different categories.

I agreed that a property owner should be able to choose who enters their property.

But in some instances they shouldn't?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I don't see anywhere in the law where property ownership is separated into different categories.

Read your local and state laws. It's in there. There are plenty of anti-discrimination laws on the books that apply to businesses open to the general public, and rightfully so.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: CB328

It is my understanding that the arena is a privately-owned venue. The operators of the arena have a policy that no firearms are allowed.

Have to respect their property rights, no matter how many get butthurt.

Well my wallet is 'private property' still doesn't stop some people using the STATE to take as much as they want out of it.

Interesting that 'property rights' suddenly matter to 'right wing' haters.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

The roots are in the interstate commerce act.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Fair enough.

So we go back to my first question. If open carry was part of someones religion would a business have the right to refuse service?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: CB328

It is my understanding that the arena is a privately-owned venue. The operators of the arena have a policy that no firearms are allowed.

Have to respect their property rights, no matter how many get butthurt.

Well my wallet is 'private property' still doesn't stop some people using the STATE to take as much as they want out of it.

Interesting that 'property rights' suddenly matter to 'right wing' haters.

You have the option to go live somewhere else, if you don't want to pay taxes and receive services in return. Your "private property" rights are only violated if you let them do it.

The Founders themselves justified taxation for specific reasons. Why you no like the Founders?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

A private property owner can discriminate all they like,

That is about the most ridiculous comment I have ever heard anyone ever make.

That means it's perfectly acceptable for Trump to be a 'racist'.

That means bakers get to tell gay couples they don't have to bake wedding cakes.

That means the evil rich don't have to 'pay their fair share'.

LOL

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

To state the obvious there is no where to run to avoid gun laws or tax laws.

BOTH are PRIVATE PROPERTY.

The Founders themselves justified taxation for specific reasons. Why you no like the Founders?
'

To the founders there is no place that was a 'gun free zone'.

Ya know them guys that wrote the RIGHT to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

The problem is you believe just because so many people in the room have firearms that they could stop someone before they complete their objective.

It's called "deterrence" "mutually assured destruction" worked for over half a century with the Godless communists & it's still working today.

An assassin wouldn't dare knowing he'd be gunned down in a heart beat.

Deterrence, it's what made America strong.

#opencarrycleveland
K~
edit on 26-3-2016 by aethertek because: hashtag

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join