It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Acting Strange Need Help

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Hello all, Lately my computer is really acting odd, when I leave my computer for a few hours I have about a 50 50 chance that when I come back i move my mouse and the computer won't render to the monitor ( signal not found ) no mater how much I move the mouse it won't render and the hard drive will be working full blast. I tried 2 other monitors and a hard wired mouse to no avail.

Today it turned on when i moved the mouse, but then the hard drive was working full blast again, I had to restart the computer to stop it.
I would love a way to find out what program is accessing my hard drive.

Things I have so far tried.
1. Replaced CMOS battery. After reinstalled latest BIOS.
2. Ran CCleaner.
3. Checked event viewer for critical errors or errors.
4. Checked Programs list for items I didn't install.
5. Uninstalled Cyber Ghost 5 ( I did install this ).
6. Checked task manager for CPU usage and what program might be using it, no luck here.

Here is my computer stats.

Mother board is ASUS P5K Pro Turbo.
$ G ram Kingston.
Intel core 2 DUO
6 TB hard drive on 5 WD 4 caviar greens and 1 caviar Black hard drives. 5 of the drives are operated through a controller card.
Video card ASUS EAH5770 CU core 1GB GDDR5 ATI RADEON
Hard drive WIN 7 is on is the Caviar Black its a 2 TB drive less than a year old
Power supply is also less than a year old its a COOLMAX 850 w CUL series

I built this computer myself from the ground up, I use to fix computers as a hobby a little rusty now though.

Anything else you might need to help me just ask.

Anyone know what might be the problem, or could suggest things to try.

Please no messages unless you either have questions or advice.THANK YOU in advance.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: enament

Mine has LOCKED on me twice today. Just freezes and I can't move my mouse, control alt delete does nothing either. Do you use Avast? I just upgraded mine to the new version today and it was after that I experienced this problem.

All I can do is a reboot and it comes back fine.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Have you tried updating your graphics driver ?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Try running CCleaner free on it use the registry repair on it. I use Kaspersky as an antivirus on my comp.

Here is a link for CCleaner this program works awesome

Use the cleaner part as well tell it to remove old prefetch data its a check box you have to scroll down to.

www.piriform.com...

edit on 26-3-2016 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I had similar issues.

I believe it is caused by a host program running in background and gathering all ressources when the computer is idle, causing the computer to freeze since the other programs can't access the resources anymore. I remember having to turn off something called SVCHOST.exe to avoid this issue, but since now I'm on a different system.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yes I did last year but that install has been stable , I will also check that too right now actually.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Already have it. Thanks, gonna run it now and see how it goes. I just found it odd, that the OP was having a similar issue.

lol, Hell your the OP!

edit on 26-3-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Hmm interesting this COULD be the problem, can you tell me more what that SVCHOST.exe is , is it a registry key?
I will google it in a bit to learn more.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

If the problem is after the computer has been left alone for a while it may be because it's in sleep mode , try turning sleep off in the change power settings.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I am guessing that this is related to the operating system. Mine is a dual boot Win7/Linux system with each OS residing on its own hard drive. My Win 7 runs without issue. My Linux OS will do the same thing you are describing if it sits without input for too long. My hardware is much different, (Quad core Xeon workstation) but when running Linux (Fedora) it does the same damned thing as yours.

edit on 26-3-2016 by madmac5150 because: My cat made me

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

There are usually many versions of SVCHOST.exe running simultaneously in the system, each of them are hosting a particular aspect of the system. One is in charge of UI rendering, another is in charge of media playback, etc. Knowing which one to turn off is a bit tricky, because if you turn off the wrong one it can, for instance, make your computer blind to any user input (but the problem will be sorted out if you restart the computer, so nothing lethal). I recommend you do search the topic a bit before you try it out.

edit on 26-3-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

CCleaner fixes problems 90 % of the time from my experience. Speeds up internet too idf you tell it to get rid of old prefetch data.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Just checked video driver it is up to date.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Did you have this problem with a fresh install of Windows 7 or has it just materialized?. It could be a driver conflict with the controller card, I am guessing you have a raid card because you don't have enough sata connectors on the mobo for the 6 drives plus SATA dvd?

First I would try ruling out the controller card by removing it and just run your windows drive on mobo sata (disconnect any other hard-drives). If you still have the same prob, you know the controller card is not the issue and you can move on to something else. Let me know.
edit on 26-3-2016 by PickledOnion because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2016 by PickledOnion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Did you try using a sledge hammer? Seriously though, I purchased a New ASUS ROG 20 a year ago. There are times I found my drive running full blast. I remember doing a search about the drive running fast, and if I recall it said it was a glitch connected with my ASUS computer model. For some reason it hasn't done it for awhile now.

You sound like you know more about computers than me. I was also having a problem with the monitor display not turning on until I had a friend that I know in our IT department come over and look at it. I guess I had both a DVI input and a HDMI input connected to the monitor. He said it was causing the conflict with my display not turning on sometimes. I have an HDMI monitor so once he removed the DVI cable I was good to go.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

If the problem is after the computer has been left alone for a while it may be because it's in sleep mode , try turning sleep off in the change power settings.

Ok so sleep mode was activated which I didn't do, might have been from a microsoft update , sneaky bastards.

I never let my comp go to sleep. Reverted it back to sleep never and 1 h to screensaver.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

There are usually many versions of SVCHOST.exe running simultaneously in the system, each of them are hosting a particular aspect of the system. One is in charge of UI rendering, another is in charge of media playback, etc. Knowing which one to turn off is a bit tricky, because if you turn off the wrong one it can, for instance, make your computer blind to any user input (but the problem will be sorted out if you restart the computer, so nothing lethal). I recommend you do search the topic a bit before you try it out.

I will thank you.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: PickledOnion

No its not a fresh install I reinstalled it about 1 year ago after my power supply fried on me. The problem just materialized about 1 week ago.

And yes not enough SATA connectors on the mother board. Controller card is a year and a half old I replaced the other one thinking it was bad but it wound up being a bad drive replaced both. There is only 5 drives 4 on controller card C: is on the caviar Black connected direct to mother board.

I will try the controller card In a couple of days not ruling that out, will try several other things first. Is there a way to find out what is accesing my hard drive and what exactly it might be doing??

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: enament
a reply to: swanne

Hmm interesting this COULD be the problem, can you tell me more what that SVCHOST.exe is , is it a registry key?
I will google it in a bit to learn more.

Svchost is exactly that. A service host for processes. It's a Microsoft program integral to Windows. Right-click on the svchost that is using the most amount of resources, and left-click on "go to service" or something like that. I'm going from memory. If it is WSUS, and it is using up to a gig of ram, you will need to install Microsoft KB3102810 or KB3050265 to patch the memory leak. However, if it is using less than 500mb of RAM, that's normal.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Did you try using a sledge hammer? Seriously though, I purchased a New ASUS ROG 20 a year ago. There are times I found my drive running full blast. I remember doing a search about the drive running fast, and if I recall it said it was a glitch connected with my ASUS computer model. For some reason it hasn't done it for awhile now.

You sound like you know more about computers than me. I was also having a problem with the monitor display not turning on until I had a friend that I know in our IT department come over and look at it. I guess I had both a DVI input and a HDMI input connected to the monitor. He said it was causing the conflict with my display not turning on sometimes. I have an HDMI monitor so once he removed the DVI cable I was good to go.

You or the system must have updated it for problem to be resolved

I had a problem before with the monitor not rendering in the past tried a different monitor and it worked fine, took the faulty monitor apart found 3 bad capacitors replaced them now monitor is working fantastic cost me $10 bucks to fix and an hour of my time. I'm using a different monitor than those 2 now. Thank you YOUTUBE for that fix.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join