It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home at Last

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
As I was sitting on my porch this morning, enjoying the first coffee and smoke of the day, I reflected and became lost in my thoughts. I thought of the forums I belonged to before coming here, why I left, and where I'm currently at. Bosco, my heterosexual canine lifemate snorted and changed positions, breaking my train of thought. It happens often now as a result of a minor stroke(TIA) I had last year, which is why I was absent for a while from ATS shortly after joining. It left me with a frustrating inability to form cohesive conversation, and took months to return to a high percentage of where I was. Fake practice posting was part of my re-hab(true story--my occupational therapist will be joining us soon!), re-learning how to organize thought and word. But I digress.

In thinking of prior forums I posted at, I never got comfortable, nor felt at ease discussing the structured and limited topics they offered. Others I tried were either echo chambers(think the apes gathered around the monolith in 2001), or places where abusive personal attacks and confrontation were the norm. I lurked for 5 years here, attracted at first by the UFO and political threads, but self-confidence and limited computer skills kept me at bay. But in that 5 years, I came away impressed with the debates, and critical thinking so prominent in many a thread. Seagull(thanks for my 1st Applause last year!), Buthcherguy, Snarl, Ketsuko, Don'ttreadonme(sorry for the extra work I've made for you!), and the XMan(xuenchen)--your posts are a huge part in me being here. The quality and context of many of your posts prodded me to want to join. To mOjOm, semmos80, and antedivian--you all may be opposite of my political leanings, but your posts made me take a step back and consider another point of view. To all, many not mentioned, my appreciation. To you lurkers: take the plunge, the water's fine. Sorry about the ramble, folks. I'll be done soon.

What I'm trying to say, is I finally found a home. I've got a place to go and discuss a myriad of topics, learn, and understand another's position by stepping outside my comfort zone. I can be fierce in my beliefs without yelling, and be expected to back my position with sourced material. No fanboy rave here, but the realization of finding a comfortable home and being thankful--that's all. This morning all this hit me at once, and I decided to share my thoughts when I got home from work.

So if you'll pardon me, I'm gonna go put on my lounge-wear, grab a soda, and spend the evening perusing the threads with Bosco sittin' next to me. As it should be.
edit on 2232016152016-03-25T23:21:15-05:0020165pm151121 by Boscowashisnamo because: none given.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Give old Bosco a scratch behind the ears for old Macenroe

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

The progress that you made is wonderful and it is so nice
that you have 'found a home' and somewhere that, from what I gather, you feel comfortable and enjoy.

My Mother suffered strokes her entire life and they were so hard for her to come back each time.

P.S. I really like your avatar! Adorable! Is h/she having to wear the cone due to a procedure?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

The progress that you made is wonderful and it is so nice
that you have 'found a home' and somewhere that, from what I gather, you feel comfortable and enjoy.

My Mother suffered strokes her entire life and they were so hard for her to come back each time.

P.S. I really like your avatar! Adorable! Is h/she having to wear the cone due to a procedure?

Bosco "does not like the cone of shame". He had to wear it for a brief time, and was a tail-waggin' pup when it came off. It was a long road back after 5 days in ICU and subsequent therapy. That make's one stop and take stock of their place on this Earth.

The op was my way of saying"thanks" for the welcome I received when I took the plunge, and hope other lurkers find this place a home like I have. Thanks for your kind words!

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Glad you're here. If only everybody that hadn't had a stroke would work on organizing cohesive thoughts as hard as you have the world would be a better place. You're creeping up on a year and you've had plenty of worthwhile posts.

I tend to lean on your side of the political spectrum, but I agree with you about some of those on the other side of things. Some of them are sharp and, in spite of disagreement, I admire their intelligence. There are definitely people here who can engage in discourse without getting bent out of shape and you mention a couple of them (I will note that you meant antediluvian, missed a couple letters).

to you and to all the wonderful members that make this place great. Hope you stay a while.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm glad you made it back. It looks like you're doing just fine.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe
Thanks for the kind words. After I stopped calling Bosco "Bisquit", and relearned things that we all take for grated, my speedometer will peg at 100 instead of 140. I'm breathing and still doing therapy, so lifes pretty freakin' good.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Welcome back!
While I can't imagine what it's like to be trapped in my own head, I was crushed as a coal miner and spent 2 years in the hospital getting put back together. I know what it's like not to be yourself and the frustration of wanting to do something and your body just won't co operate. Being a healthy, active, go everywhere/do everything person one day and the next, you're lying in a hospital bed, helpless and depending on others for everything.

join