It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

good and evil is a thing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

i suppose it could be physical although i would say not only

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
dont you have to be religious to beleive in evil?
i think even in biblical terms its a pretty riddiculous concept.

No, not at all. The concept of Evil isn't something taught or exclusive to the bible or Religion.

Anyone that can grasp the concept of Good and Evil in logical terms is fully capable of understanding the concept and believing that concept to be true.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

i suppose it could be physical although i would say not only

What would physical evil be though???

I can't think of any way to make either Good or Evil into something physical. Both are descriptive labels we place on things, but the things themselves I don't think can be defined as either Good or Evil. They simply are. It is us as the observers who then give meaning to them as a way to understand them. But without some entity giving meaning to them they are essentially meaningless in and of themselves.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

that dude that made lampshades out of people he is a physical being, then we can always get into cursed items but that is very hard to prove

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

You mean Ed Gein. If you read about him you'll find he's much more mentally damaged than evil though. Depending upon how you look at it I mean.

The mental abuse from his mother and her method of raising him stunted him mentally which made him the way he was. Most of his "decorations" made of human parts also came from digging up freshly buried bodies in the graveyard also. He did kill two women though. The bodies he'd take from the ground he said reminded him of his mother which is also why he was building a skin suit to look like her so he could crawl inside her skin. I'm guessing as a way to try and be her or understand reality from her perspective.

You could call that evil I suppose since, like I said earlier, we personally give these things meaning. But I'm not sure if that is evil so much as it is just the actions of a seriously mentally damaged person. When you're sitting around in your favorite chair made of human bones and sewing together a skin suit that looks like your dead mother so you can wear it and become her, I'm not sure if you're really capable of understanding the world in the same way as a sane person does.

That certainly doesn't excuse what he did by any means. But whether or not he was even capable of understanding good and bad behavior in the same way normal people do is anyone's guess.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

and you know this how? whom is to say what really caused him to do what he did. its all speculation mixed with a bunch of pseudoscience.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Well, he confessed to why he did it in court. He was also sent to an institution and studied. I suppose he could have just made it all up, but there's no reason to believe he did. It all fits pretty well and explains a lot too. Plus, it's not like it helped him out any by using that as his fake story.

If you're implying that he's lying because my version makes him seem less evil that's no reason to assume it's not true. What he did he still did and it's certainly not something allowed in civil society. It makes no difference if you murder someone in cold blood because you think they would look better as an umbrella stand, or if you did it because you're simply an evil person. Either way we still have to cage that person.

The difference is only in the intent at that point but not the action. The intent might change how we understand why he did it, but it doesn't change the fact that he did it. The details about whether or not the person is "Evil" or not is really only important on an emotional level or intellectual and philosophical level at that point anyway.

I mean you're allowed to view what he did as evil to whatever degree even if I don't. It makes little difference in a practical sense. Although I would also have to say that a little difference here and there eventually do produce a much better understanding of things.

For example, long ago if you got sick it was thought that you were cursed by evil spirits and that was how they dealt with it. Now we know about germs and viruses and the other invisible things that actually do make people sick and how to cure them. So in that sense, knowing the difference between something just being "Evil" and it being something more complex can and does change major things in how we go through life.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

a reply to: namelesss

just used a favorite movie of mine to give a little color to the thread never said anything about the bible, i consider your immediate un -justified slight the most childish thing in the thread please rethink you meaningless comment. or not, it seems you have already formulated an opinion that will not change due to your "heroic resolve"

I'm sorry, did you say something?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

just used a favorite movie of mine to give a little color to the thread never said anything about the bible, i consider your immediate un -justified slight the most childish thing in the thread please rethink you meaningless comment. or not, it seems you have already formulated an opinion that will not change due to your "heroic resolve"

I stand by my response, especially as you have not said anything to refute, other than you 'don't like my answer'!
Very philosophical of you.
If you have nothing to say, just say nothing.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

if u knew how to comprehend, you see in the first sentence i reply to u, I state i never said anything about the bible , but since your busy trying climb up on your high horse i guess comprehension is an un needed skill. Please stop bothering unless u have something to contribute.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join