It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, enough of this praying nonsense.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I don't know man I think we as atheists need to stick to more important battles. I honestly don't care at all if someone thinks they have magical thought powers. We can't just attack people all the time. We need to have good discussions with religious people that elevate understanding. It makes us seem like curmudgeons. Let's stick to stuff like when they are blocking peoples rights and keeping a secular state.

PS I say this out of respect because you are quite a thinker.
edit on 25-3-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

Prayer is actually no different than meditation. ..

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I didn't know I was attacking anyone. Or that this was a battle of some kind.

I don't care if someone prays. They can pray all damn day if they want. They can even imagine it doing all kinds of wonderful things if they want to.

But if they ask me about it I'm going to be honest and say it may be nice for them but it's not doing anything for anyone else. But even if it makes them feel better I guess that is a good thing too. I'm not saying they should feel bad about it. Just be realistic about it.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

I don't know man I think we as atheists need to stick to more important battles. I honestly don't care at all if someone thinks they have magical thought powers. We can't just attack people all the time. We need to have good discussions with religious people that elevate understanding. It makes us seem like curmudgeons. Let's stick to stuff like blocking peoples rights and keeping a secular state.

I'm finding it extremely difficult understanding your tone throughout this entire post. I can't tell if you're insulting him or actually believe that "we as atheists should block peoples rights and keep a secular state", which I don't know of any atheists whom feel that way.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I just saw I missed the when they are...

My tone is I just hate the attacks over trivial stuff when the bigots of faith are winning battles like in NC.

I think there are good religious people that could help change the bigot part of their own society. By picking on every aspect of their beliefs I think it just makes enemies. IMO

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I don't know man I think we as atheists need to stick to more important battles. I honestly don't care at all if someone thinks they have magical thought powers. We can't just attack people all the time. We need to have good discussions with religious people that elevate understanding. It makes us seem like curmudgeons. Let's stick to stuff like when they are blocking peoples rights and keeping a secular state.

You are totally right, it's just this whole week no joke every single day there is a new city being prayed for because religious terrorists have gone on a killing spree. The total lack of action and just pray and then go about your business just blows my mind.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

What I find funny as hell about this whole thread?

No one has thought that maybe this whole hashtag nonsense on social media and those saying hashtag pray for even pray?

Maybe it is the "trendy" thing to do?

LOL, anyhow, if someone wants to pray for me, I need all the help I can get!

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'll even go so far as to say prayer might help the person praying in some way. Like if you pray before playing a sport or something. Taking that moment to yourself may actually improve your game because you took that moment to focus and visualize what to do.

Do I think it's some magical thing or that God has heard them and gifted them or changed reality to favor them, NO. Do I think they can change the world around them or the actions of another because they prayed really hard for something to happen, NO. But they might help themselves out the same way all of us can by taking a minute to collect our thoughts about something.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I don't know man I think we as atheists need to stick to more important battles. I honestly don't care at all if someone thinks they have magical thought powers. We can't just attack people all the time. We need to have good discussions with religious people that elevate understanding. It makes us seem like curmudgeons. Let's stick to stuff like blocking peoples rights and keeping a secular state.

I'm finding it extremely difficult understanding your tone throughout this entire post. I can't tell if you're insulting him or actually believe that "we as atheists should block peoples rights and keep a secular state", which I don't know of any atheists whom feel that way.

I think he meant fight against blocking rights of people.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

You don't have to be an atheist to actually do something, but you do have to realize that praying does nothing. 

If a person prays and it gives them a look inside themselves, and what they see changes how they approach their lives and makes them a better person, how do you see any harm in that?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

No man I know. I think I came off a bit harsh. I just think some of the decent religious people have reasonable thought and can help change the real nutters. I don't know its worth picking on peoples beliefs if they are harmless.

Take for instance churches that marry gay people. They are helping progress liberty for people.

This is also just my opinion. I value both you and ghost's opinions quite a bit.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Seriously

You think people whispering in low voices cause bombings is different country's
You believe whispering in little voices is the reason people are dying

You don't believe in God? yet you think prayer is causing the worlds strife

I obviously don't understand how and where you are imagining this stuff from but it does sound a little kooky in my opinion

By all means blame religious fundamentalists, zealots, greed, arrogance, and the assortment of reasons, but blaming prayer

Surely there must be an ulterior motive to your premise

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
I'll even go so far as to say prayer might help the person praying in some way. Like if you pray before playing a sport or something. Taking that moment to yourself may actually improve your game because you took that moment to focus and visualize what to do.

Do I think it's some magical thing or that God has heard them and gifted them or changed reality to favor them, NO. Do I think they can change the world around them or the actions of another because they prayed really hard for something to happen, NO. But they might help themselves out the same way all of us can by taking a minute to collect our thoughts about something.

See that type of praying isn't bad, like someone posted above it would be like meditation.

But if you and I sit at a table and there is a pepsi in front of us and our goal is to drink the pepsi. I grab it and open the pepsi and drink it, the other guy sits there and prays for the pepsi to be opened and brought to his mouth so he can drink it. They will never have pepsi..

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Seriously

You think people whispering in low voices cause bombings is different country's
You believe whispering in little voices is the reason people are dying

You don't believe in God? yet you think prayer is causing the worlds strife

I obviously don't understand how and where you are imagining this stuff from but it does sound a little kooky in my opinion

By all means blame religious fundamentalists, zealots, greed, arrogance, and the assortment of reasons, but blaming prayer

Surely there must be an ulterior motive to your premise

I'm not attacking prayer necessarily. I would just rather see more doing and less praying on the part of putting an end to this terrorism garbage. Wouldn't you?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

No man I know. I think I came off a bit harsh. I just think some of the decent religious people have reasonable thought and can help change the real nutters. I don't know its worth picking on peoples beliefs if they are harmless.

Take for instance churches that marry gay people. They are helping progress liberty for people.

This is also just my opinion. I value both you and ghost's opinions quite a bit.

I think those churches should be the focus for people as well. The problem is that they aren't though. Except when someone wants to talk sh*t about them for marrying gay people that is.

The one's that get the attention are the ones yelling persecution and yelling at everyone what big sinners they are and how everyone's actions are abominations. That's too bad too, because the cool churches who are helping to progress things like equal rights for Gays don't get the air time. Only the trash talkers get that time.

So I'm with ya on that. I have friends and family that are religious and we get along fine. They think I'm confused and I think they're confused. Aside from some carefully crafted but painless digs now and then we get by just fine.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I understand completely. I should probably have just let it go you put it in the right place under rant. I do have these kind of feelings (I live in the south). I am just so worried about the direction of the US. I want to build some coalitions and discussions with rational people before it's too late. Including the "rational" religious folks. The superstions can be a serious problem when they infringe on others.

Anyhow I should prob just bow out. You have every right to vent frustration.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Of course he'll never get that pepsi. But that's his problem not mine. He can figure out where he went wrong in his thinking while I'm enjoying my pepsi.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I'm not in a battle with anyone on here I just like to challenge atheists perspectives and make them think and vise versa to religious people.

results = very similar

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yes, you're the only one who sees a problem here.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Not everyone can do, some people want to help, care and prayer is there only option. The elderly for example

Your point is valid though, prayer on its own is not acceptable.
James the brother of Christ said that Christians should undertake prayer and actions, prayer on its own showed no faith

In my opinion you have over reated a little bit,

Your point is valid, I just don't see how we can put an end to this terrorist garbage in the natural world
Maybe we should consider it a spiritual problem?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join