It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about Lasers shot into cockpits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
All,
Below is yet another article about lasers aimed at planes. Could someone please explain to me how this is at all possible? Think of the variables that would have to be just right:

1. You need a laser powerful enough to do some damage.
2. Cockpits of planes are not located at the bottom of the plane, but rather at the top. Therefore, when a plane is in the air, there is a lot of solid material blocking a line-of-sight device such as a laser.
3. Even if someone did manage to get into some kind of position to get a laser into the cockpit, how on earth would you be able to
a) Aim it into the pilot's eye.
b) See into the cockpit to be able to aim at the eye!

That chances of this happening while a plane is in flight are extremely low. Unless I am completely missing something, this doesn't even seem like a possibility. Yet the term "terrorism" is being assigned to it already. I'll let you read for yourself:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The only thing I can think of to be scared of this kind of thing is if there was some kind of laser guided weapon that was being aimed at these things. That seems MUCH more plausible.

-P

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
There was already a thread in which we discussed this. It's not possible. There aren't even shoulder launched, laser guided missiles because it's impossible to keep the laser trained on an aircraft. (Well, there are, but the laser is useless on aircraft)

Start on page 4 or 5. I illustrated why a pilot can't really be blinded by a laser pointer. I believe a pilot actually scoffed at this too.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Thanks Damned. Maybe a moderator can lock this thread?

-P

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
locked as requested,

Asala

top topics

join