It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars the Force Awakens: Who is Rey?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ok just saw Star Wars The Force Awakens for the 2nd time.

Now Rey is definitely a Skywalker, as the series of movies centres around the Skywalker line. Anakin then Luke.

Although my first opinion from my first viewing I concluded (not 100%) that Rey was Lukes daughter, probably from Lukes wife Mara Jade Skywalker.
(having said that Disney have officially declared that all books with the Lucas Arts stamp is now not part of the Star Wars universe. Think they have 3 or 4 'official' books.)

This time round I consciously made myself view it that she was Leia and Hans daughter, meaning she is Kylar Rens sister.

I can understand the intentional elusiveness of her parentage given this is only the first film, but I think it can go either way.

How do we know Rey is her birth name?

It kinda seems that Han, Leia, Chewy and Kylar Ren knows who Rey is.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: coomba98

My guess, and the most popular guess, is that she's Luke's daughter.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I agree that is the most intelligent logical opinion and I agree this is top choice.

But in the end and given they want to surprise us she could very well be Han and Leia's daughter.

She is definitely a Skywalker that's for sure.

However I think its too obvious. Especially when Hollywood likes surprises/plot twists.

edit on 25-3-2016 by coomba98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Just an fyi it's Kylo Ren, not Kylar.

Now having only seen the movie once in theaters, and going in completely blind and avoiding any online speculation, I left with the strong feeling that Ray was Luke's daughter. Mostly because of the way Han and Leia react to her, like they might have known her as a child or known of her existence, but not like she is their daughter. They talk a lot about Kylo a lot ( referred to often as "our son" in their conversations) and never mention a daughter.
Most theories that I've seen that claim she is Han and leia's daughter, and sometimes even Kylos twin, involve either memory wipes for all involved, or just a collective "don't tell Ray" agreement.
edit on 25-3-2016 by Quantumgamer1776 because: Correction

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yeah im torn between who it is, logically my mind says Lukes daughter first up.

Never heard of the Kylo twin rumour (thanks for the spelling correction) but then I havnt really dug into the internet rumours that deep.

However her parentage is she is definitely a Skywalker.

Given the crazy plot twists I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to say she is from an unknown Skywalker line. Maybe Anakins mother gave birth to another child we don't know about. Remember this is Disney's take on things.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   

She might be no-ones daughter, just like anakin. He was manifested from the force. Same thing could have happened with Rey, but Luke created her instead of a sith Lord like anakin was.
Remember, luke went into exile monk mode for a while only interacting with his padawans. Then he went into sure hiding mode when they betrayed him. We will se soon enough.
edit on 25-3-2016 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

She might be no-ones daughter, just like anakin. He was manifested from the force. Same thing could have happened with Rey, but Luke created her instead of a sith Lord like anakin was.
Remember, luke went into exile monk mode for a while only interacting with his padawans. Then he went into sure hiding mode when they betrayed him. We will se soon enough.

The movie indicates he went into exile after Ben turned into Kylo Ren.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
My theory on this.

Ray is to Snoke as to what Harry potter was to Voldermort.

Let me explain.

I don't think Rays background will ever be fully explained, I think she was some kind of immensely powerful young force sensitive girl who was more powerful than anyone to come before. Snoke see's her as a threat and when he turns Ben Solo he commands him to kill of Lukes new jedi and capture the girl so that Snoke can turn her to the dark side and/or kill her as she is the only true force that can stand in his way.

So all the new Jedi die, but luke protects the girl, he now knows however that the New Order are hunting him down to find the girl so he drops her off in Jaku and orders Lor Son tekka to watch over her until he returns and finds a way to defeat snooke and so that the New Order continue hunting him wrongly believing he has "the girl" with him.

If you read TFA's book this actually starts to make more sense and it also starts to add up with the flash back that she had. There is also something in it where Kylo Ren says something like "its you" or there is something that is said that suggests he may know her in some way.

just my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

yes, Lucas said Star Wars was always about the Starkillers.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
OtherSideOfTheCoin,
Not a bad theory there. I have to read the new Disney books as they have definitely changed the Star Wars universe. They have even changed what force users can do such as freezing people and even a laser bolt.

Although a good theory im still banking on she being a Skywalker. But that's just a theory too.

Reddragon2015,
who are the Starkillers? Is this another term for Skywalker? Or Palpatine and co.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hello All.
I have a belief that this "mystery" can be resolved easily..wait for the next films(i know that hurts).. BUT throughout the Star Wars series the characters have musical themes associated with them.

From Wikipedia;

Star Wars often is credited as heralding the beginning of a revival of grand symphonic scores in the late 1970s. One technique in particular is an influence: Williams's revival of a technique called leitmotif, which is most famously associated with the operas of Richard Wagner and, in film scores, with Steiner. A leitmotif is a phrase or melodic cell that signifies a character, place, plot element, mood, idea, relationship or other specific part of the film. It is commonly used in modern film scoring as a device for mentally anchoring certain parts of a film to the soundtrack. Of chief importance for a leitmotif is that it must be strong enough for a listener to latch onto while being flexible enough to undergo variation and development.

Also this site
Who's who in the 'Star Wars' scores: Your guide to John Williams's musical motifs

So in following in this line of thinking, in the final light saber battle between Kylo Ren and Rey, at the point where the battle leads to a precipice and they have their blades locked Kylo Says to Ren "You need a teacher, I can show you the ways of the Force"... Rey bewildered replies softly "the Force(?)" as if remembering something with eyes closed.. AND what/who's theme is played???

Youtube link
Star Wars: Skywalker Theme
A.K.A. Binary Sunset

Force Theme or Ben Kenobi's theme or Jedi Knights and the Old Republic theme (all episodes). This theme represents Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Jedi and most importantly the Force from which they draw their power. It also often represents the twin themes of destiny and fate that are important in all the films. It is the most commonly heard and prominent theme over the six films as a whole, and undergoes substantial development especially in the prequel trilogy.
from starwars.wikia.com...

So even though this clouds the exact relationship because Rey is obviously a Force user at this point, and the use of the theme could be only due to the Force being realized by Rey and nothing more. This theme has mostly (at least to me) been associated to Luke(A big fan of original trilogy). But at the same time this seems to tie in the possibility that she is instead related to Obi-Wan somehow(through the use of the theme in the prequels). Then again they are all Force users so could be nothing relevant to Rey's lineage.

Then again there is this to consider.

Kylo Ren's Theme. A cousin of the Imperial March designed feel slightly more hesitant, in lieu with the character. In the context of the new trilogy it is most closely related to Rey's theme; in fact, the two themes are almost precisely the retrograde inversion of one another, which at the very least represents that the two characters are similar but opposed to one another.
from starwars.wikia.com...

And

"Rey's Theme" (Episode VII). A mysterious theme led by strings and woodwinds with a core leitmotif of quickly alternating notes played by various instruments such as solo flute. It first appears during Rey's dialogue-free introduction to the film's audience. The theme can be split into multiple parts, especially in the concert suite. The first part represents her mystery and loneliness, it is played in 12 notes that are repeated. The second part is 7 notes and represents her job as a scavenger. The third part is also 12 notes and is her main theme. Part three usually plays with scene with her and Finn. The fourth part foreshadows her role as a hero, it also plays in the scene when Chewbacca saves her and Finn. Finally, the fifth represents her destiny which is played in 7 notes. In the film’s credits, Rey’s Theme is played alongside The Force Theme. Williams has stated that Rey’s Theme is inspired by that theme.
From en.wikipedia.org...

Which then seems to imply that there is a greater possibility to Kylo and Rey being related. And the retrograde aspect of the two themes reflect Dark vs. light, "good and evil" etc. Also clouding the mystery even further..

So. I conclude Rey has the greatest chance she is a Skywalker. Either as Luke's daughter, or as Han and Leia's daughter and sister to Ben Solo/Kylo Ren. Though she very well could be of Obi-Wan's lineage somehow.

Thanks for tolerating my longest post to date. Although I may not have not made anything clearer, i believe the themes have a piece of the mystery. Apologies for any posting or format errors. I'm still new to this

P.S. I was leaning towards the Luke/Rey relationship but in making this post I am mostly confused.. And May The Force Be With You

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I think a good twist would be if she was Palpatines daughter. But more likely Lukes.

I dont see any way she could be han and leias daughter. Not the way they interacted with her.
edit on 26-3-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
umm. it's really quite difficult to be no one's daughter, egg has to come from somewhere.

Also Anakin had a mother, no (known) father. Anakin might have happened to conceive spontaneously, yet was birthed by Shmi Skywalker the namesake of this whole saga. He certainly didn't manifest purely from the Force.(Force raped!?!? lets not go here)

And why in the world would Luke create her(Rey)? or would he even be able to create any being either Sith or Jedi? I have not heard of a Force user that can create life....yet

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

We cant be sure that Rey is her birth name.
When she is sitting outside by her ATAT eating she plays around with an x wing helmet... She also made an xwing doll. So she's pretty fascinated by them...

On that helmet something is written that indicates that it belongs to Dosmita RAE... A former xwing pilot.

Could be coincidence...

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I have only just watched this for the first time at the weekend as no one would come to the cinema with me, as I was waiting for a mate of mine to come with me, but never got round to it.

I will watch it again without my 9 year old side kick wittering on next to me, as he saw it before me.

I will ponder all theories and get back...

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Just watched it 3 times in the past 2 days, the first time I was a little put off to tell the truth. It seemed better than the last three movies under Lucas, but the fact at how quickly Rey learned the force seemed against canon. The next two times I watched it I tried looking for reasoning for her catching on to the force so quick, easter eggs, or other hints I may have missed, as well I found I actually warmed to it a bit more.

As to who Rey is, it almost did seem like Han and Leia had an idea who she was, or maybe I read a bit too much into some scenes and may be wrong. I don't believe she is their daughter(or twin of Kylo Ren), I find myself lead to believe she is Luke's daughter but another part of me says that's just too obvious ! I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's somehow Obi Wan's grand daughter...hehe... her being Luke's daughter is too easy

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think Rey is Lukes daughter. (sure, it's the easy connection, but SW hasn't exactly been subtle in this kind of thing)....

I also think Rey's mom is the main character in the upcoming "Rogue Squadron" movie.

Certainly would make sense to introduce us to mom before the big reveal.
Otherwise, mom would just be some gal Luke hooked up with....nah, they'll build it up first.

I also think by the time Rey grows up more, her mom has died (likely when Luke went into seclusion, and he likely believed Rey to have died as well, otherwise, he'd likely tear apart the galaxy looking for her).

I think this is why there is SOME recognition on Han and Leia's part (and Chewie's), but since they believe she's dead, and they saw her only when much younger, they hadn't quite connected the dots yet.

edit on 15-4-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Could also be some interesting connections between Rogue One and Star Wars Rebels.... rumors going around that Rebels will end just before Rogue One premieres and since Ezra and his gang are catching up to New Hope, it would be quite a nice and natural tie in between all three time lines.

I don't see Jyn Erso as being Rey's mother. I mean, I would really struggle with her not being in episode 4, 5 and 6, then "appear" in a flashback about the time between 6 and 7 to explain who Luke was shagging and woop, there's Jyn again.

I think Jyn will die.

The Obi grandaughter idea is interesting because it rhymes, which is something we found out SW producers love (just look at the comparisons between the old and newer movies).

Darth vs. Obi
(grandson) Kylo vs. (granddaugher) Rey.

Only issue being... how will they explain Obis fooling around? I recall him leaving a beautiful woman hanging because of his devotion to jedi-hood. That he wouldn't betray the force by letting himself fall in love.

Maybe that will see the light of day during episode 10,11 and 12 (which were pretty much not-not-confirmed)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I've just watched the film for the first time and, generally speaking, subtleties tend to go over my head, but:

I think there is a clue as to some sort of relationship between Rey and Luke.

When Kylo Ren was interrogating Rey he saw in her mind an ocean with an island in it. That pretty much described the place she eventually found Luke.

Also, and I was getting tired at this point, I wondered if Luke used the Force to activate R2D2 because he was ready to be found? Or he sensed that the circumstances were right for him to be found?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Or R2-D2 went into shutdown until one with the right DNA (i.e. of Luke's offspring) was nearby.

I don't see Jyn Erso as being Rey's mother. I mean, I would really struggle with her not being in episode 4, 5 and 6, then "appear" in a flashback about the time between 6 and 7 to explain who Luke was shagging and woop, there's Jyn again.

Of course she was "around" then (during Episodes IV-VI), just that she likely didn't meet Luke until after the events in Jedi.....

Jyn seems to fit the "spy" role in the film, which is a pretty good mirror of Mara Jade (Luke's wife in the books). I could certainly see them going this route eventually. The two of them on some mission (after Jedi) and hooking up.
edit on 2-5-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join