It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paintable solar cells that harness Sun's IR rays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This is simply amazing to me. I never would have guessed that this would have even been possible. These Canadian scientists believe that they can make the manufacturing process even more efficient over the next 10 years, making wireless products trult wireless and giving conventional energy fields a true run for their money.

Paintable plastic IR absorbing solar cells:

"The one thing that's not wireless about all the wireless devices we have, is the way we power them; solar energy is literally wireless power," said Josh Wolfe, a managing partner at the venture capital firm Lux Capital, in New York. "Everything you can think of will be different; from batteries to electricity bills, to the way devices themselves are manufactured."

Devices from PDAs and iPods to cellphones coated with the solar cell plastic would automatically recharge themselves, eliminating electrical chords and battery packs.

The material dissolves into a liquid without losing any of its performance, and may be painted onto walls or windows, sprayed on clothing, or printed onto rolls of paper.

The best part about this, is that it should be more efficient and cheaper than conventional PV cells and their installation won't be nearly as limited. Basically anything that can be painted or have a sheet of plastic attached to it will be a potential energy source.

And since it absorbs the invisible infrared spectrum, their efficiency won't be effected as much due to the weather. Unfortunately, I don't really see much coming out of this development, due to the conventional energy industry's monopoly over up and coming alternative energy inventors/companies. But we can always hope.

join