It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koch Brothers Attempt to Kill Single-Payer Health Care in Colorado

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

It would be very generous to call that sentence literate. Colorado does have a fairly high percentage of college graduates: 36%. Are you intentionally fudging the numbers here, or are you attempting to say, "75% of the people in Colorado have attended some college."?

The way I worded it is fine because you understood it's the later. The reason it's relevant, is because even though they don't have the highest graduation rate, they have so many people attempting school overall. 75% of the people in Colorado attempt College and this is higher than most states. 36% doesn't explain what's happening that's different than other places. If you make it past highschool, you have a top10 shot for an advanced degree.

Still considering that that you quote 36%, is it generous of me to assume you don't even realize that's the second highest attainment rank anyway?

en.wikipedia.org...

Fudging the numbers, or bending excluded, are you disagreeing with my point?(That College could possibly make you a smarter person without finishing?) Compare the statistics that shows it takes people in Colorado 6 years to complete 4 year degrees more often, and again we meet a conclusion of dedication being more relevant than people that can complete 4 full years. People in Colorado quit school the most often also, but they actually GO BACK.

New Jersey has the 10th most people 'attempt college' at 65%,

West Virginia is the lowest at 45%.

Learning is part of the culture here. It's just something you do together as a community. People online find it odd I've gone to 10 years of college and only have 2 year degrees, in Colorado that's common. In other places I've gone, people seem to find some odd sense of pride in only educating themselves in one thing, and completely bypass logic that no one else can do the things they do better, because of this.

I start Chinese and Criminal Psychology next semester. Hope that will be useful with my Biology and Marketing Degrees, that are already SO useful together!

Btw College is cheap fam. You guys don't get around enough.
edit on 24-3-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

He doesn't live in Colorado. He is just riffing against his favorite boogeymen. We have a thing called Tabor which mandates that the government can only spend up to a certain amount of text revenues per fiscal year. It was written in the 90's and hasn't kept up well with expenses.

A lot of us would like to see Tabor modified. We don't want to refund pot taxes to pot smokers or taxpayers. We would like to use them on roads, schools and infrastructure, to an even greater extent than we already do.

Some of us would like to see pot taxes used to expand the Denver Care system to a true single payer option for all Coloradans.

Not everyone agrees, obviously, and that's ok. It's the dialog that is important. We are pretty good at letting each other speak here.
edit on 24-3-2016 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I have no problem with states experimenting with these policies. If they work, great.

The issue is always funding these great society ideas. If CO can use taxes on weed to fund it, more power to them.

The problem though is that politicians will always spend the money on other things just like the pissed away pension funds, lotto dollars, social security funds, etc by using the money for unrelated projects.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: schuyler
How would Colorado PAY for this "universal health care," or, probably more to the point, WHO would pay for it. I;d be interested in some details here.

The answer is simple.

Create a vat like European countries do.

Raise taxes on the evil one percent.

Create new taxes like medicare capital gains surtax.

When that doesn't pay for those champagne wishes, and caviar schemes.

Rinse and repeat.

Nope, pretty much all they have to do is tax weed, don't worry Neo, you sorry ass IRA is safe.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

He doesn't live in Colorado.

Pfft hahaha bro I'm Captain Colorado, officially the youngest most successful youth to come out of the state.
I started multi-million and billion dollar companies from the time I was 14 for marketing and the department of defense. "The richest man" in Colorado calls me on the daily trying to get me to sellout. That being said, I don't even want to sell, my family does so I don't bother with the details. It's been way more amusing keeping myself in a position of power above these adults that run the country. I started the first/last online TV station and I'm ROFL as conflict of interest hits all time highs in this country. In a nutshell I decide the price for the majority of effective campaign ads, and at first glace, it really feels like I pick the president. In the last election, Romney was not interested, and so I ROFL as I offered Obama 1/10th the price. At least in this election both parties are interested, but my interest in voting anymore has hit an all time low.

He is just riffing against his favorite boogeymen.

Oh #, you're right though
back to neutralville.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

He doesn't live in Colorado. He is just riffing against his favorite boogeymen. We have a thing called Tabor which mandates that the government can only spend up to a certain amount of text revenues per fiscal year. It was written in the 90's and hasn't kept up well with expenses.

A lot of us would like to see Tabor modified. We don't want to refund pot taxes to pot smokers or taxpayers. We would like to use them on roads, schools and infrastructure, to an even greater extent than we already do.

Some of us would like to see pot taxes used to expand the Denver Care system to a true single payer option for all Coloradans.

Not everyone agrees, obviously, and that's ok. It's the dialog that is important. We are pretty good at letting each other speak here.

I lived in CO for 16 years, loved it in the early days, mid 80's. Too many californicators in the state to make it the awesome place it once was.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What have the "Koch Brothers" ever accomplished in the world of politics? I hear the Democrat-oriented radio and TV media whine about these guys all the time, but I've never heard what they have actually done..Good or Bad. Just what they are plotting to do..which means nothing, as everyone is "plotting" something these days.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
What have the "Koch Brothers" ever accomplished in the world of politics? I hear the Democrat-oriented radio and TV media whine about these guys all the time, but I've never heard what they have actually done..Good or Bad. Just what they are plotting to do..which means nothing, as everyone is "plotting" something these days.

They pump millions of dollars into the Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh media engines. They are evil incarnate

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

They pump millions of dollars into the Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh media engines. They are evil incarnate

You mean the KOCH brothers pay money direct to Beck and Limbaugh to say what the Koch brothers want them to say?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

I wasn't talking about you, Jack. I was poking Neo.

Honestly, I'd love to *see* that guys smile at least once.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yet another reason Sanders and Trump are being targetted by the Koch bros. They are for a single payer system.

When will these guys pass on already. Jesus.

What scum bags.

Between them and Soros we have been screwed over.

We should kick them out of the country or jail them all here in the wonderful prison system they built for our people.

edit on 3 24 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

But then enter me: Genius(Clever at best) that made standard television airing as cheap as YouTube.

Again, I'm ROFL over the people that think Colorado's media influences will EVER extend passed me.

The last election was really mood ruining when I only first dealt with Obama because of my personal agendas, and huge resistance from conservatives, and it felt to have abnormally ridiculous success in his aide.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ Now I learn fair business practice I guess. My vote was sell the technology to Google when I was 17. Glad to see I'm still smarter than our board of directors. They would probably handle it better, even now. California isn't all bad.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I wasn't talking about you, Jack. I was poking Neo.

Honestly, I'd love to *see* that guys smile at least once.

ur cool m8. I like neo too. it wouldnt be the same without him right?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

They donate to cardiac and cancer research, fund the arts, and fund STEM outreach to kids.

Apparently they are still evil incarnate.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

They're in Denver,mostly in Boulder.
Manitou has a few.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

No #en doubt my friend.

Just take one look crested butte Colorado

edit on 25-3-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I have some questions for those of you who think this is awesome:

1.) Why is it fair to let people who smoke marijuana pay for the health care of everyone, including those who don't use?

2.) If marijuana is widely legalized and tax profits drop, what happens when your health care needs to make up the shortfall?

3.) If the taxes from marijuana aren't enough to pay, where will you make up the difference?

4.) Your state is in the hole some $54billion. Why aren't you using all that extra revenue to pay it off first?

5.) What are your state's unfunded pension liabilities? Shouldn't you be making those solvent and then seeing what revenue you might have left over?

Just thought I would ask ...

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

my favorite place in Colorado!

we're in golden now, which ain't bad, but someday would like to retire there. we go every year in july when the wildflowers are blooming, to do some hiking. this year we're gonna hike from crested butte over to aspen - can't wait!

anyway, i'd be all for using the pot tax for universal healthcare. we'd be considered contributors!

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I thought Hawaii did the same thing and it bankrupted the state.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I thought Hawaii did the same thing and it bankrupted the state.

I don't recall. I do know that this is what federalism is supposed to be for.

If Colorado really wants to do this, then they can try it, and if it crashes and burns, only Colorado suffers for it. The rest of us point and laugh and the "special" state.

If it does work out somehow, the rest of the states can try to figure out their own models for how to implement it if that's really what the people want. The problem will be that pot can be kept very high priced and highly taxed in Colorado right now precisely because Colorado is about the only state that has legal recreational marijuana. If their model works out and more states go that route, prices and tax revenues will drop off as it becomes more commonly available.

So that will land Colorado in revenue troubles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join