It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Abovetopsecret.com needs some info from you"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
After two weeks of getting a box with the above request in it and having to click repeatedly to get to disappear and waiting for it to stop coming, I'm reduced to asking for help. --It even popped up as I attempted to open this forum, and about everytime I open a thread to read.

It started about the time of the changes ATS made and its denial of service problem. Perhaps I provoked the box in some fashion from ATS and perhaps Win 10 on my behalf captured it for all eternity? Whatever, I need it to be gone. I've tried capturing it with MS snipping tool, but it is elusive and won't allow it.

Plus, since the ATS upgrade, my format boxes of italicization, underlining, etc., won't work. I see the "duh" line does work, well, great!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i've not had that message pop up myself. all the italics etc options seem to be working for me

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

What kind of information is it requesting? Any screenshots you can post?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

What kind of information is it requesting? Any screenshots you can post?

It features a box to add text into but this request for text is not related to anything that I do. It will only go away if I click on the cancel button six times or put something into the text box and then click OK. Other than use the MS snipping tool I have no way I know of for doing a screen shot.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Since you are using Windows, the next time the message shows up try pressing your Print Screen button before clicking anything else. Then open a paint program or Word and hit Ctrl-V to past the image in. If you are in a graphics program, yo can crop the image a bit to get rid of anything you don't want us to see and then save the newly cropped image to a fiel for upload here.

If that doesn't work, try using the snip tool with the delay function. Open the snipping tool, set the delay to 1-2seconds and then leave the snipping tool open. When the problem shows up again, alt+Tab to your snipping tool and when it has focus click new... wait 1-2 seconds for the snip surface to show then go snip what you need. The delay lets you run the screen and pop up message boxes prior to the snip being active. Good for capturing tooltips and things that disappear when you mouse in/out of areas which may be happening when yo try to get to the snip after the fact.

Hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Hm. Does it say "www.abovetopsecret.com says:" at the top of the box?

If not, I'm thinking it might be an ad fishing for personal info.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It was an issue for people who were using the edge browser. What browser are you using? If it is the edge browser you might try deleting the cache and cookies, if you haven't already.

You can't really reset edge I don't think, it is weird that way, you need to uninstall it and do all kinds of wizardry.

In any case if it IS edge, I suggest using another browser.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm going with a fishing expedition too.

I wouldn't be tempted to actually fill in those details if i were you matey.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: evc1shop

Thanks for the details. I keep those in mind. I was going to attempt that procedure, but I tried at least ten different threads and each came up normally without the box asking for info!? While that problem is not evident at this time, I still can't use the format line above the reply box.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Why not try this, for a screen shot.

Click the 'PrtScrn' (printscreen) button on your keyboard

open up Microsoft Paintbrush

then click Paste.

Voila

if that's not what you needed forget i mentioned it.
edit on 3/24/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Ah! Yes, I'll bet the culprit is Edge. "They" came in and made some unannounced changes to my MS Outlook email system also.

Thank you!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

No problem, when this first happened I checked it out. What happened was that I got the text box, then by accident I clicked in the "prevent from running additional dialogues" or something. Result: I couldn't ever make an edit to a post again!

I don't use edge much anyway.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: Jonjonj

Ah! Yes, I'll bet the culprit is Edge. "They" came in and made some unannounced changes to my MS Outlook email system also.

Thank you!

Actually, it appears that it is a _javascript anomaly in the Edge browser. Although, I've not seen it anywhere else other than ATS. That would tend to indicate that there is something about the _javascripts used here.

This issue doesn't appear to affect other browsers.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I don't use Edge, and have no plans of ever doing so, but I've never seen that while using Chrome.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
We were discussing this here a few weeks ago. You aren't the only one with the problem. Clearing cache etc., doesn't really work.
The only thing I have found to kind of work is when it pops up, click ok, when it opens the second time, check the little box and that seems to stop it from having to do it 6 times before you get anywhere.

Of course if you plan on responding to any post, doing that does seem to knock everything out. So, if you are just reading browsing, try the box click, if you post a lot then pop out of the thread and come back in again.

For example it wont let me do this link properly to the first discussion about it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3/24/16 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Thanks, folks, for the various suggestions. The crazy thing is that I've been dealing with that bug for at least two weeks, right up to the minute that I made the thread about it. As soon as the first suggested fix came in, I went to try it out. And I've not had that damned box come up once since and I've tried at least 15 different attempts that had invoked it. Another mystery of the Universe...for me anyway.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Thanks, folks, for the various suggestions. The crazy thing is that I've been dealing with that bug for at least two weeks, right up to the minute that I made the thread about it. As soon as the first suggested fix came in, I went to try it out. And I've not had that damned box come up once since and I've tried at least 15 different attempts that had invoked it. Another mystery of the Universe...for me anyway.

I think the curse leapt out of your computer and made it's way to mine. That window pop-up is ridiculous. And I already logged on here to make a rant! GRRRRRRRR

It's GOTTA be a Windows 10 thing. My wife accidentally installed 10 this afternoon and this #$%$ straight up sucks.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

I think the curse leapt out of your computer and made it's way to mine. That window pop-up is ridiculous. And I already logged on here to make a rant! GRRRRRRRR

It's GOTTA be a Windows 10 thing. My wife accidentally installed 10 this afternoon and this #$%$ straight up sucks.

Goto your startup menu
Click on All Programs
Scroll to near bottom
Find Windows Accessories

There you will find IE just as it was before the upgrade...
You can "Pin" it to the start menu and a "tile" for it will appear in that area...

Windows 10 is a good operating system, though it has some things that probably don't belong in an OS, but technically they aren't a part of WindowsNT 10.0. And of course they moved everything around...

ETA: It's an Edge (new browser) thing.

edit on 24-3-2016 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tanka418

Hey, thanks for that info. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow afternoon.

Is there anything I can do to give the rest of windows the "appearance" of what it used to be before this "alleged" upgrade?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: tanka418

Thanks for this suggestion along with the others that I've received. While in my last post it seemed like the mysteriously appearing box had stopped, I find this morning as I move around the site that it has reappeared but not as frequently as earlier. And I did clear Edge last night. I'll try your fix shortly.

I must say, however, given that I've never, ever witnessed that box before I don't really see how it can be the fault of any aspect of my computer but lays with the ATS system to cause the problem. I note that no one from ATS has appeared to disavow ownership of the flaw or offer a solution.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join