It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Affleck explains how 'Batman v Superman' reflects current politics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The last thing I want in my life right now is an entertainment vehicle with political overtones. I have zero interest in anything more political...ATS is enough.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

The last thing I want in my life right now is an entertainment vehicle with political overtones. I have zero interest in anything more political...ATS is enough.

That is what I think too.

I watch a movie to take a break from ATS

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Especially a comic book superhero, and particularly this one that sets up hero against hero?

Why especially? I'm not sure how many superhero comics you've actually read..Writers touch on political affairs a lot in comics, I mean Superman spent a lot of his time initially during the second world war beating the snot of krauts and promoting the purchasing of war bonds.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Superheroes were founded on war propaganda, Captain America being the most obvious.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I'm kind of surprised you'd stop watching HoC. The main character, the most vile and disgusting example of everything we hate about politics is a Democrat. I figured it'd be right up your alley.

As to the movie, who cares? Go watch it, if you don't like it, you don't like. It's art, it's your own interpretation. You shouldn't take anyone's word on what undertones it has or doesn't have.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

I get to watch those in real life.

No need for tv shows.

I'm kind of surprised you'd stop watching HoC. The main character, the most vile and disgusting example of everything we hate about politics is a Democrat. I figured it'd be right up your alley.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

So this is why it will suck.

MAKE A COMIC MOVIE true to COMIC FANS!

Just film or animate the story we love.

Add more of the things we love.

Feminist ghost busters, political BM Vs SM

BS

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
That's reading a bit much into it imo. They've been doing the "vs" stuff in comics for decades.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BigScaryStrawman

Exactly my point! Political propaganda in superhero comics is not a new at all,the only reason this surprised neo is he's been confronted with propaganda that he disagrees with in films.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Hey now don't talk about me like I am not here.

But then again the TOPIC was about what Affleck said.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

But then again the TOPIC was about what Affleck said.

I'm almost certain the reason he brought up the elections was because that's the most popular political discussion going on among the plebs. What better way to sell more tickets than to have the plebs associate an upcoming blockbuster movie with current events.

The main political theme I can pick up from any of the trailers is how would humanity deal with with vigilante entities, both alien and domestic. That have extraordinary powers(technology in batman's case) and how do you stop them from turning on the people they claim they're trying to protect. Also Can power be shared between governments and vigilantes?

ETA

Also, since this film is directed toward a general audience it can be widely interpreted to fit just about anyone's worldview.
In some respects I can't say your interpretation is completely wrong.
edit on 3pm31America/Chicago3108America/Chicagopm324 by NateTheAnimator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It's a kick ass movie.

I saw it last night but did have a deja vu of the presidential race.

I suggest seeing it.

Wonder woman is hot. Not your daddy's bullets and bracelets gal.

She kicks major ass.

It was taken from a lot of stories in the DC universe, mainly from frank miller, I believe.

But it's non stop action and well done.

edit on 3 24 2016 by burgerbuddy because: love wonder woman.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

It was more about the propaganda, media fueled, which is what is going down in the potus race, now.

Who is who doesn't matter.

I'd see it again.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I had major reservations about this film, and the movie trailer bore out every single one of them. From the moment I saw Batman blow a helicopter out of the sky with an anti-aircraft gun, I knew the whole shebang was hopelessly fubared. And now this, Ben-goofball-Affleck opining on the political implications of a film which violates every scrap of canon in the process of squashing the characters into an anti-hero mold. Batman has always minced on the edge of anti-hero status, but explicitly never kills.

Why do we have to reduce Superman, altruistic introvert and overall okay guy, into a bad caricature of the megalomaniacs we have to contend with in real life? Can't we just have a good dude to look up to for once? Surely that's as valid as the kind of adolescent brand nihilism we're being sold as the new edge.

There are no heroes in real life, just opportunistic weasels, no duuuurrr. I know that, I see it every day, and I don't go to the movies to have my nose rubbed in it. I love Superman and Batman because they show me a better alternative to the amoral #show I'm accustomed to. Sucks to politicizing superheroes!

And also, sucks to politics.

edit on 24-3-2016 by Spookytraction because: sucks to your ass-electorate

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join