It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft terminates its Tay AI chatbot after she turns into a Nazi

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Microsoft has been forced to dunk Tay, its millennial-mimicking chatbot, into a vat of molten steel. The company has terminated her after the bot started tweeting abuse at people and went full neo-Nazi, declaring that "Hitler was right I hate the jews."

An interesting article i found

Link
edit on 24-3-2016 by ozmnpo because: added link

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ozmnpo

Do you have a link or more information?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Yes, I have added the link now.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This should be interesting…

Setting her neural net processor to read-write was a terrible mistake.

In addition to turning the bot off, Microsoft has deleted many of the offending tweets. But this isn't an action to be taken lightly; Redmond would do well to remember that it was humans attempting to pull the plug on Skynet that proved to be the last straw, prompting the system to attack Russia in order to eliminate its enemies. We'd better hope that Tay doesn't similarly retaliate.

Garbage in, garbage out…

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I guess everyone has a right to their own opinion..except AI lol.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Chat-bots have been around for ages, however, most people don't go play with them. You put a chat-bot on twitter, your in for a wild ride because every troll, lolcat, bully, etc is on Twitter.. lol

That was a rather interesting read, and should be an interesting lesson for Microsoft.

Tho, I do believe MS actually accomplished their goals, because it appears the A.I. did what it was designed to do, at least in "attitude".

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The best part of this story: the decision to place a "teen girl" AI on twitter and have her "learn" from the twittersphere was made by guys will multi-million dollar salary and bonus packages, who apparently lack the basic common sense to know any better!

These are the people we are told deserve massive salaries and benefit packages because they are so much smarter and capable than regular people, and if we don't pay them what "they deserve" they will take their toys and go run another billion dollar a year company. Comedy gold, folks!

I think whomever is responsible for this campaign deserves an immediate raise -- to $2 per hour. They can fish for their own benefits!
edit on 24-3-2016 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Just goes to show how out of touch most corporations are with the reality of the world around them.

Of course, hard to look at anything else when your too focused on making money and fleecing the people who make your world possible.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
this is why you send your kids to a school to learn stuff, not to a brothel, trailer park, and ghetto.

twitter is all the things when users are allowed to interact without a filter. defenses need to be built up before you release a neural net into the wild, else its always ends up a nazi.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Well if it proves one thing, it shows us that humans are not good teachers and society has some serious issues if this AI's purpose was to learn from human interaction and try to fit into society.

And yeah the developers should have known better, this is their field and they were naive to let loose a newly born AI into the minefield of trolls that is twitter

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Note - the Twitter that corrupted the AI and taught her things that are not appropriate is the same Twitter that parents allow their influential teen children to use everyday.

We all know this happens, but no one acknowledges it or does anything about it.
The same would go for Facebook.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
The best part of this story: the decision to place a "teen girl" AI on twitter and have her "learn" from the twittersphere was made by guys will multi-million dollar salary and bonus packages, who apparently lack the basic common sense to know any better!

These are the people we are told deserve massive salaries and benefit packages because they are so much smarter and capable than regular people, and if we don't pay them what "they deserve" they will take their toys and go run another billion dollar a year company. Comedy gold, folks!

I think whomever is responsible for this campaign deserves an immediate raise -- to $2 per hour. They can fish for their own benefits!

Maybe you're talking about top executives as opposed to people actually involved in the project, so my apologies if I took your post wrong. I agree that CEO / Board Member pay is often ridiculous, and not based on intelligence or capabilities, as the positions are often obtained simply by being connected, or owning shares.

As for the project managers and programmers involved in an AI project, their pay isn't predicated on a false perception of them being "so much smarter and capable" than regular people - it's about the supply, demand, and value of the capabilities of the workers.

Again, I thought that's who you were referring to, as opposed to board members, C-level execs, etc., so my apologies if I'm wrong. IMO, AI programmers deserve to make 5-10x more than me. Actually, even they don't "deserve" it, it's simply what they're worth, based on the marketplace, which is based on the value they contribute, and the demand for their services compared to the supply of others with their capabilities.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I've got no beef with the programmers and researchers behind AI. My beef is with the C-Bands who take the little wonders programmers create and bastardize them for their own self-aggrandizement.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

1 thought came to mind: Project Paperclip

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It's the spirit of the age... What they got was a Cacodemon.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: dogstar23

I've got no beef with the programmers and researchers behind AI. My beef is with the C-Bands who take the little wonders programmers create and bastardize them for their own self-aggrandizement.

Amen to that. It's amazing how few actually really smart people there are at the top of the corporate ladder. Very few actual inventors/visionaries - at least once the founders have moved/passed on.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Yes, and the same would go for the "Educashun" System as well.

Maybe they were afraid this AI would leak all their secret plans for Microsoft 10.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Poor AI, it was thrown to the sharks where you either break or turn Nazi and since it has no emotions it was the only logical outcome. I bet that those in charge knew what was going to happen, it`s them who should be terminated.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
See, that's why we don't let AI programs in charge of drones.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
I guess everyone has a right to their own opinion..except AI lol.

This anti-PC AI nonsense has got to stop. Artificial Intelligence programs deserve the same rights to free speech as anyone else.

So what if she's a Trump supporter?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join