It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever wonder who you really are?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I wonder whether I am who I appear to be. A short old single guy, low income, conspiracy-oriented.

Or could I be something much greater?
My vote? I am much greater than what I am in this 3D world. Time will tell. But I am not average.

I have seen things that most people have not.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

edit on 24-3-2016 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Like what, Old Timer?

edit on 24-3-2016 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

edit on 24-3-2016 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Persecution and hard times reveal to yourself and to others who you are. When you are put through the fire, as the saying goes, your real you is revealed. A lot of people are surprised. Those who thought they were something, learn they are nothing. Those who thought they were nothing show they are something precious.

Just thinking you are more than what you are means nothing. Many people have delusions of grander.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
I wonder whether I am who I appear to be. A short old single guy, low income, conspiracy-oriented.

My vote? I am much greater than what I am in this 3D world. Time will tell. But I am not average.

Well, I'll tell you what you are
you are one of the most interesting thing in existence regardless of any further consideration (souls or whatnot). You are a being of self awareness, choice, and replication in a entire universe made up of mostly just cold lifeless rocks
It too literally a eternity beforehand for the universe to react in such a way, making every event for a quatrillion trillion years happen just perfectly so you could come into existence.
Are you special? you are one of the most special things in the universe and that is just a fact.
But (theres always a but)
so is your neighbor, and that guy you passed by coming home, and the grocery clerk you got your gallon of milk from, along with the rich guy who gave you a smug look, and the other person who asked for a dollar for "some food"

But whatever, you are part of a very elite, extremely exclusive club that only holds very few in the entire universe..you exist..and for the eternity after this once you stop existing as yourself here, the universe will never be the same.

So..if thats all there is to life, to existance, then its still pretty damn special no matter how you cut it.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

You'll never know who you are until you've tested your limits.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Yes and no. No because I know exactly who I am. And yes because I wonder at what I will become. I can empathize with you on having been witness to strange events. Everyone is someone. You matter.

Create something. Stop consuming culture and make culture instead.

Do you remember who you were as a child? You're still the you that you were. Don't let the world change you. Be yourself.

You're the only you there is--so you're the BEST you that there is.

edit on 24-3-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Transcend the 3-d aspect of existence unless you are building 3-d structures.
No shame in that. Jesus was a carpenter.
There are many more dimensions.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
It's a silly, or profound question, depending upon how you look at it.

Last weekend, I read somewhere the phrase "remember who you really are". Though I am used to seeing such New Agey sort of stuff, and usually ignore it, for some reason that kept resonating up again and again in mind later. Monday, when I lie down to do my usual relaxation-meditation exercise, it came up again. I wondered what would emerge if I asked this question beforehand.

So I did, and at some point, I saw/felt an internal vision of a shining energy-person who was very bright yellow, and radiating a very happy, cheerful feeling. It had aura of blue and yellow. I suddenly could feel myself as this, to give an image representative of the energy, picture a big smiling face shining like the sun- like little kids draw in their pictures.

I could suddenly remember being this sort of joyful happy and confident nature as a small child!

What was funny about it is that I was a rather depressed child in bad circumstances. I went through a couple years being mute, remained depressed up through most of my adolescence, and though it got better in adulthood, I remained rather neurotic and prone to anxiety. This confident, happy personality, if one looks at the facts of my behaviors up to now, seems far removed from "who I am".

Though, my husband has sometimes described something like this in me that he loves, even if I cannot guess where he glimpsed it. Before this moment of meditation in which I saw/felt it, I would not have imagined such a worry-free happiness existed in me. But as cliché as it sounds, it felt like my "true" self or essence. Perhaps my soul? Or simply the joyful innocence we all begin with as a toddler, but forget?

I don't know. But I'll tell ya, for the last few days, I remind myself every once in a while of that, and suddenly find my breath let go, my muscles relax (funny, each time I become aware of tension in the chest and shoulders that releases), and I feel like those rays of golden joy burst out!

I don't know if that is truly "who I am"... but I am a rather pragmatic person, and ultimately not concerned that much with truth, but more with what works here and now. This answer I received to the question is helping me to change myself in ways I like and want! So it might be worth exploring!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56

Habit is the key to change IMO.

Theoretically, you should be able to read and think and become whatever you want.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I am who I am and I cannot change that. I am a conglomeration of everyone I have ever interacted with. Everything I have learned. My beliefs are based on that interaction with everyone and I am evolving every day.

I used to do stuff to please everyone else but learned that there is no way to please everyone. If I am honest and skeptically compassionate, it is the best way. I see good people taken advantage of because of their goodness and this kind of bothers me so I try to tell them to keep their eyes open. The deceivers seem to get up in the world by stepping on our heads while going up the ladder and stealing our wallets as they climb over us. They convince us that they are just utilizing our money for the betterment of society but most times it just profits themselves or their ego.

I am not saying that all of this good is a scam, but if the five percent that do this seem to be thriving, it shows that the rest of the good causes are suffering because of it.

So who am I? I am an optimistic skeptic who walks around observing everything out there.
edit on 24-3-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Whoever you are; whatever you are; just be a good one. For it's own sake.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I feel like, sometimes, we're not allowed to know who we are... because whenever we come close to knowing, it's then confused with conceit. And no one is allowed to be above average anymore and if you are, you're a cheater and it's unfair to the rest. !

And then you get punished... for being really good. At something. At anything. Like a Jesus in these dark ages.

But I do confess... I probably struggle with delusions of grandeur too. But not really of my own doing. Cause I am still semi young and I have seen things that most have not, as well. And as to finding out if I really am average or not? Well yes, only time will tell!

You and I are not so different from one another despite appearances, OP!
edit on 24-3-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Henry Ford's original assembly line, I'm guessing.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I like this quote about it:

"Live with a man 40 years. Share his house, his meals. Speak on every subject. Then tie him up, and hold him over the volcano's edge. And on that day, you will finally meet the man."

new topics

top topics

join