It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matthew 22:30: Like Angels in Heaven

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Matthew 22:30: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

I once was talking to another and he stated: Many Christians have taken this to mean that people aren't gendered after the resurrection.

Is it possible when Matthew 22:30 says, “But are like angels in heaven”, could it mean strictly the role (tasks, get comfort from God, no need for partner, etc)? Marriage on Earth is to keep supplying humans. When we cross over, we do not die and do not need to marry to keep the race going. Therefore, there is no marriage between angels or those whom have crossed over.

What is your interpretation of that verse?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: jhill76

Not necessarily. It just may mean marriage is no longer necessary. Nowhere do I see angels are celibate, in fact I have read much to the contrary.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Not necessarily. It just may mean marriage is no longer necessary. Nowhere do I see angels are celibate, in fact I have read much to the contrary.

Are you stating that angels above engage in sex?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
People who are resurrected on earth will still be human, man and woman and will still marry and have children.

Jesus here is referring, as far as I know to those who are resurrected to heavenly spirit life, they are given spirit bodies like the angels.

And no angels do not marry nor do they have sex with each other. There is no need for them to procreate like humans do.

There are angels who materialized human bodies and had sex with humans, and were thrown out of the celestial family they were in with God. And to this day they maintain their perverted sexual desires toward humankind. They have been reserved in bonds under dense darkness for the day of judgement upon them.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

The Sons of God mated with the sons of Adam and created the Nephilim. But the Sons of God where not, at that time, considered angels. Judaism was not monotheistic at that point and the Sons of God or Elohim were the guardians or watchers, closer to demi gods than angels. Cherubim and Seraphim(shining serpents) are the most known classes of angels. Archangels are the closest to God and act in accordance with his will.

Angelology is fascinating.

The Seraphim have to be related to the Egyptian serpent God Serapis.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I think the traditional view is correct; "no marriage" also = "no gendering of childen".
For the Biblical God, marriage and children are very closely connected, and I doubt that he would want children to be produced in the absence of marriage.
Also bear in mind that "we shall all be changed" involves having a different kind of body (1 Corinthians ch15 vv42-54).

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Genesis 5:2
"Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Man when they were created."

The angels and man were male and female when they were created. We have an account of Adam being seperate into Male and Female but nowhere are we told the angels suffered the same division.

The angels are both male and female, they are complete and have no need for marriage. The 2 become 1 flesh as it was in the beginning.
edit on 24-3-2016 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I think the traditional view is correct; "no marriage" also = "no gendering of childen".
For the Biblical God, marriage and children are very closely connected, and I doubt that he would want children to be produced in the absence of marriage.
Also bear in mind that "we shall all be changed" involves having a different kind of body (1 Corinthians ch15 vv42-54).

When Jesus died, he was resurrected and kept his body. It may be argued that it was different, but we see in (John 20:25,27) that Jesus kept his scars. (Philippians 3:21) tells us that our body will be like his above. Scripture tells us they recognized Jesus, they recognized Moses, and they recognized Samuel. Does this suggest that our identities are kept in tact?
edit on 24-3-2016 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

Genesis 5:2
"Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Man when they were created."

The angels and man were male and female when they were created. We have an account of Adam being seperate into Male and Female but nowhere are we told the angels suffered the same division.

The angels are both male and female, they are complete and have no need for marriage. The 2 become 1 flesh as it was in the beginning.

I do not follow. We have the account of mankind, but not the account of the creation of angels. How do they both equate as far as gender roles?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonbet

The Sons of God mated with the sons of Adam and created the Nephilim. But the Sons of God where not, at that time, considered angels. Judaism was not monotheistic at that point and the Sons of God or Elohim were the guardians or watchers, closer to demi gods than angels. Cherubim and Seraphim(shining serpents) are the most known classes of angels. Archangels are the closest to God and act in accordance with his will.

Angelology is fascinating.

The Seraphim have to be related to the Egyptian serpent God Serapis.

Can you expand on the demi gods portion?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhill76

When Jesus died, he was resurrected and kept his body. It may be argued that it was different, but we see in (John 20:25,27) that Jesus kept his scars. (Philippians 3:21) tells us that our body will be like his above. Scripture tells us they recognized Jesus, they recognized Moses, and they recognized Samuel. Does this suggest that our identities are kept in tact.

No, his physical body was disintegrated by his Father Jehovah. And he was resurrected in a spirit body, like the one he had prior to coming to earth. But the spirit body he was given was superior to the one that he had before. Because he was granted the gift of immortality in his new spiritual body, and was elevated to the divine plane of existence. Angels live in the heavenly plane, below the divine plane, and Jesus, before coming to earth resided in the heavenly plane of existence as a might spirit creature.

But no, he was not raised in a physical body. He was able to materialize human form after his resurrection and appear to his followers in the middle of locked rooms, and give the appearance of holes in his hands/wrists. But that was just that, a materialization into human form form his spirit form.

And it is correct, angels have both male/female characteristics in perfection. They do not have different sexes. In that way those who are resurrected to spirit life are like the angels of heaven. They are granted immortal spirit bodies like that of Jesus

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
They did not always recognise the risen Jesus with their physical eyes.
Two disciples were walking with him and talking to him on the road to Emmaus, and failed to recognise him until the moment of breaking of bread.
In the last chapter of John, the disciples knew that it was the Lord "but did not dare to ask" (ch21 v12). If they could have recognised him with their physical eyes, the question of asking who he was would not have arisen. It must have been a spiritual recognition (in both cases) rather than a physical one.
This fits in with what Paul says, that we have bodies in the resurrection, but not quite the same kind of bodies.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

They didn't recognize him because he materialized to them the way he saw fit, and it was in an appearance they were not familiar with. He was a spirit, and could materialize human form any way he wished.

They did recognize him, by his personality, when God's spirit let them so do so.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeisGrand
I think I would prefer to say that he had a "transformed" body, as Paul predicts for ourselves (when we "bear the image of the man of heaven"), not necessarily being recognisable to physical eyes being one aspect of the transformation.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The more spiritually advanced a being is the more alone it will be on earth since it will have a hard time finding a soul mate that is divine that it can feel true complete oneness with.

Think how much easier it is to be with an conscious empath that can connect to the other one and feel both the experience knowing the reality of the love both souls feel for each other. The emotional unity being reinforced/validated not by belief but by knowing.

At least the spiritually advanced can feel the loving caress from home in for instance the energetic body states causing bliss. If the source is the own soul energizing you or an blessed one (angel) directing the flows do not really matter in this level of awareness.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I don't know if demigods is the proper term but Watchers or Igrigori is what they came to be called.

If you want the whole story, sacredtexts has the Book of Enoch.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Any human attempts to explain the afterlife are destined to miss the mark.

Many mansions is my favorite description. We will be higher than angels if we do make it to heaven.

An angel is nothing compared to a human in heaven.

Enoch was made prince of the angels Metatron.

Elijah was also transferred to heaven without death.

Beware of the teachers of the false doctrine of the rapture.

That is a rare occurrence for prophets who are extraordinary.
edit on 24-3-2016 by Jonbet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I wouldn't think it goes as far as to say that we wont be gendered in the resurrection. Angels are often referred to with gendered pronouns. For instance the angel that comes down from heaven in Rev. 20 to bind Satan is referred to as he. I think Jesus is saying the relationships (specifically in this case marriage) in this life wont carry the same significance in the next.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Who is Paul? I don't recognize anybody of that name having any knowledge that Jesus didn't already teach before ascending.

Useless part of the New Testament.

The only true books of the New Testament are the Gospels and John's writings. Actually, everyone but Paul.

A close examination of scripture reveals Paul as an enemy of the church and an agent of Rome.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

a reply to: LifeisGrand
I think I would prefer to say that he had a "transformed" body, as Paul predicts for ourselves (when we "bear the image of the man of heaven"), not necessarily being recognisable to physical eyes being one aspect of the transformation.

I don't quite understand your definition of what this "transformed body" is.

I do understand what Paul said about it. He details it quite thoroughly, as I discern you know, from your own Bible study, in 1 Corinthians 15. For example in v 35 he addresses the question of just what sort of bodies they will be raised in:

v35: Nevertheless, someone will say: “How are the dead to be raised up? Yes, with what sort of body are they coming?”

So obviously there were people in the first century congregation who were wondering about this. But Paul calls them fools. I believe he was referring to a sect that had formed in the congregation at that time who were known as sophists. In fact the first part of that chapter he was reprimanding the sophists for their false understanding of the resurrection. (They taught that there was not going to be one.)

In the next few verses (37-41) Paul explains that there are different types of bodies. Some are of plants, others are of animals, some are fleshly and human, and then their are spiritual heavenly bodies. And each has its own glory, just as the sun and moon and stars differ in glory from each other. One is higher than the other. Of course the spiritual body, the heavenly one of which angels are made is superior in glory to that of the fleshly human body, which is superior to the animal, which is superior to the plant, etc.

Then he shows in vs 44 that what the spirit-anointed Christian is given at his resurrection is a spiritual body, a heavenly body like that of the heavenly ones (the angels and God):

vs 44: It is sown a physical body; it is raised up a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one.

The physical body is what we are while alive as humans on earth. But just as their is the physical body there is the heavenly, spiritual body.

And just as Adam was a human of flesh and blood, the last Adam, Jesus Christ became a life-giving spirit:

v 45: So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living person.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

So when Jesus was raised up to heavenly life he was given a spiritual body, just as the heavnly angels, and God possess.

So, just as Adam is made of dust, and all his offspring, so too the second Adam is from heaven and is heavenly, possessing an immortal spirit body:

vs 47-49: The first man is from the earth and made of dust; the second man is from heaven. Like the one made of dust, so too are those made of dust; and like the heavenly one, so too are those who are heavenly. And just as we have borne the image of the one made of dust, we will bear also the image of the heavenly one.

So just as those of us who will be raised to heavenly spirit life, while on earth we bore the image of our forefather Adam, as flesh and blood, during the heavenly resurrection we put on spiritual heavenly bodies like that of God and Jesus.

And we are shown that flesh and blood, the human body, cannot inherit the kingdom. For no mortal being made of flesh can enter into the kingdom of God:

vs 50: But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption.

The mortal body is corruptible, it can perish. Even if you can live forever, which all humans will attain after the 1,000 year rule, they can still die, for example if they stopped drinking, or eating, or if they jumped off a high mountain, or went into outer-space without protection. That fleshly body will die.

But upon the resurrection of Jesus and his followers who are going with him, they receive incorruptible bodies which can never ever be destroyed ever again. They are given immortality. Thus they cannot be earthly in nature:

vs 52, 53: For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we will be changed. 53 For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality.

That Jesus' body is spiritual we know. For no physical body can live in outer-space. Much less return to the heaves where Jehovah God resides with the angels. No human can enter into the heavenly realm. Only spirit.

That is why Jesus told Nicodemus:

John 3:3: In response Jesus said to him: “Most truly I say to you, unless anyone is born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God.”

If you are not born of the spirit, and thus are not resurrected as a spirit body, you cannot enter into the kingdom of God in the heavens above the physical heavens where the great Spirit God, who is invisible, resides:

1 Tim 1:17: Now to the King of eternity, incorruptible, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

Does that make sense?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join