It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English Music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
We have strong tribal identities here.

. . . a map showing tribes of Britain in 600AD is almost identical to a new chart showing genetic variability throughout the UK, suggesting that local communities have stayed put for the past 1415 years.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

We play tribal games.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

We sing.

And we like cheese.
Chris, seen in this video, used to practise on his own in the middle of the night. Sometimes he knocked himself out and lay there till morning. He learned the technique, if the others could stay on their feet they would. Look at the way he recovers himself at 2:45.
edit on 23 3 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   
What is the point of this thread?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Music. One listens.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
You've also spawned one of the greatest bands of all time (And my personal favorite at least tied with The Doors)

Youtube inpost feature not working.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 24-3-2016 by AnnihilateThis because: (no reason given)

edit on 3.25.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
England is rolling in all sorts of traditions and oddities. If you sit in a major urban area, or have only moved to the UK, then you may not fully appreciate the diversity out in the sticks.

Morris dancers and a nice modern song. Interestingly, Morris dancers are different, with different costumes and dances depending on origin.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
What is the point of this thread?

Something about England... and cheese?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I like the Troubadour "galloping" sound, it's kind of ancient, but here is revived.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AnnihilateThis

Much enjoyed.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I'm lost for words.

I'll quote a YouTube comment.

Best video I've seen for years, and a damn fine song too.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Thanks.

Galloping sound.

I bought a donkey with pack saddles and set off on a trek. We walked out of the field, down the track, and onto the hard road. After about eighty yards I thought "Ah! This is where music comes from!" The sound of hooves rhythmically striking hard ground. Suddenly the first instruments, made out of hooves, bone, skin and wood made sense to me. The origin of music is in the rhythm of migration and travel.
edit on 25 3 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 25 3 2016 by Kester because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Wow, right on the mark. In the time, history and knowledge was passed down with a musical meme, and indeed those that told the tales did spend their time on the road. It's a mnemonic memory device.

www.bbc.com...

Music and personal taste as well as their expectations are very different from person to person. I do like to see an "epic" trait to an album, they style, sound and even artwork that mesh, and are definitive.

This brings be back to New Order and the song Singularity along with it's video. I wasn't clear in my post that it was a new track, actually just dropping and promoting now. The 12" purple vinyl single just came out, and they just played on it Colbert Late Night. These guys are pushing 60 and are still peaking.

The video it's set to (or vise-versa) is compelling and very retro, so is the sound of the track, that's why it needs to be said that is is very current. Not many bands are producing "epic" style music these days. Also, New Order is able to set down a tone and style that is enduring. They are in a league of their own.

The subject is English Music, so yeah. Tomorrow is 30 years ago. I just saw the tour in NY and Philadelphia, it was surreal.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Years ago I saw an enormous landscape painting in a museum in Cheltenham. After studying it for a while I realised the Old Straight Tracks were clearly visible between the church steeples and other landmarks. Seeing a splash of colour I looked closer and saw the artist had painted a line of Morris Dancers dancing down one of the tracks. The rich traditions of the past, carrying knowledge we can only hope to recover.

This video has a soundtrack by The Traditional Music of Cambridgeshire Collective.

top topics

join