It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you an atheist? Then you're probably a PSYCHOPATH!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Researchers studied connection between belief in God and critical thinking - It found atheists are more likely psychopaths and believers less clever
Study argues science vs religion has its origins in structure of brain - Research also suggests that religious people are less intelligent

If you don't believe in God or a universal spirit, you're more likely to be callous and manipulative, according to a controversial new study.
Atheists exhibit more traits commonly seen among psychopaths than people who consider themselves to be religious. However, believers aren't spared criticism - the study also found that religious people are less intelligent than their non-believing counterparts.

Religious people were found to be more caring towards their fellow humans and the researchers believe their findings may help explain why women - who tend to be more empathetic - are also likely to be more religious. Researchers at Cape Western Reserve University in Ohio and Babson College in Massachusetts, argue that the conflict between science and religion may have its origins in the structure of our brains. Brain scans, and experiments, demonstrate the brain has two 'networks' that are activated when we think - one analytical and critical, the other social and emotional.

To believe in a supernatural god or universal spirit, people appear to suppress the brain network used for analytical thinking and engage the empathetic network, the scientists said. In a series of eight experiments, each involving between 159 and 527 adults, the researchers examined the relationship between a belief in God or a spirit, with measures of analytic thinking and moral concern. In all eight, they consistently found the more religious the person, the more moral concern they showed.

LINK

Now before the mud slinging starts....... These are not my words........

Pretty strong words coming from researchers..... Is there something there?

An interesting article concerning the morals of an atheist versus a believer.....

My personal opinion.... a psychopath morals are not based upon one's belief's but I can see an atheist having less empathy than a believer.

Would you agree?

edit on 23-3-2016 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

hmmm......if I go out and clap my hands together,bark at the moon,and talk to a ghost,I'll be cured? Nahhh,I'd rather laugh at the others who do all that,stay home on sunday and watch NASCAR!

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Good ol' Daily Mail. Always good for a laugh.

I particularly enjoy this sentence:

However, believers aren't spared criticism - the study also found that religious people are less intelligent than their non-believing counterparts.

and

To believe in a supernatural god or universal spirit, people appear to suppress the brain network used for analytical thinking and engage the empathetic network, the scientists said.

I'll stick with intelligent psychopath

I can't seem to find the sourced paper anywhere in that article.... odd....

edit on 23/3/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
Good ol' Daily Mail. Always good for a laugh.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Well hell, I can be a researcher but who are these researchers? Let's focus on them first before the mud slings, and it will, you know it will.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Well hell, I can be a researcher but who are these researchers? Let's focus on them first before the mud slings, and it will, you know it will.

I'm looking into finding the sourced material which Daily Mail conveniently didn't provide.

link   
The world is just collectively going insane. Doesn't matter what beliefs you hold.

link   
I believe the conclusion of the article is pretty accurate. From the experience I gained in life, I could say it is mostly true. There are exceptions to the rule though, some people are in the religions just to increase their business and profit.

Most true sports fans are just living in a state of delusion just like voters in an election.

Is there anyone in this country that isn't nuts? Maybe our pets are sane.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Shocking.

Once I saw it was DM I didn't even bother looking for the researchers names because I knew it would probably be a waste of time.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have met some Christians that I would prefer not to ever interact with and a few non believers

Considering that there are more non believers than believers

Well, I think the issue with Christianity anyway, Christians tend to become more legalistic
That's just my simple observation

Hard to comment on the information provided, these things are often written to cause contention

Maybe its just a people are all broken thing

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Ghost147

Shocking.

Once I saw it was DM I didn't even bother looking for the researchers names because I knew it would probably be a waste of time.

Found it:

Here you are

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I agree with the researchers. I do not giv a living damn how people feel about their god. I also am not above stirring people into a delusional rage when they try and preach at me... so ya they're probly right.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
What if the person is atheist because the human religions are more or less flawed lies (idols) instead of a perfect spiritual truth and the soul of the one who is seeking the perfect non biased truth refuse to join something lesser than the real deal.

It is when both the right side and the left side work in unison that the subjective blindness stop and objective reasoning start.

Atheists are just one experience away to know true spirituality both logically and emotionally without any subjective human dogma attached to it. Give it enough time and soon we will have spiritual scientist who do quantify the mysterious. They will map the spiritual realm with the help of Quantum physics tools and know why the third eye sensor works as it does and exactly how it works. Their way of reaching energetic body states will be able to be replicated for anyone who wants to go that path instead of just giving hints on the path.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

You can be spiritual and still be an atheist.

The only thing that defines an Atheist is a person whom lacks belief in any gods. So be spiritual all you like, if you don't hold any beliefs in gods, you're still an atheist.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

My personal opinion.... a psychopath morals are not based upon one's belief's but I can see an atheist having less empathy than a believer. Would you agree?

This is the same argument recycled over and over again. If you're an atheist you must lack morality,as morality comes from a belief in a higher power. Absolute Rubbish.

If the only thing keeping you from murdering,raping and stealing from your fellow human beings is the belief in the supernatural you're #ing insane... I would argue that atheists have more empathy than their theist counterparts as they don't devote their good or bad deeds in the name of a sky-daddy.

Devoting said deeds to a deity pushes the responsibility of any actions on to the supernatural by saying "it was the will of the God(s) that this occurred". While an atheist or non-believer will essentially take responsibility for any action of either benevolent or ill intent as their is no supernatural entity or force to scapegoat.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
Researchers studied connection between belief in God and critical thinking - It found atheists are more likely psychopaths and believers less clever

"Doctors agree that new Swill is good for the Liver!"
What 'doctors', what is their affiliations, who is paying them, what methods used?
So far it sounds like the typical swill constantly oozing from religions based sites.
There are some who imagine such a thing as 'creation scientists'!

I say that it is all BS!
Wanna know why?
The sect of atheists who assert that "there is no God", are infected with the same 'belief infection' as their 'theist' counterparts!
Though, perhaps, a different strain, but the symptoms remain consistent!

And one things that 'believers' constantly need to do is to 'defend' and 'validate/feed' and propagate (spread) his strain of 'belief' infection.
Another symptom of a 'belief infection' is that it inhibits cognitive and intellectual function in the sufferer, especially in the area of his 'beliefs'.
A 'belief' is a pathologically symptomatic infection of the imagination, the ego!

So I would say that pound for pound, the "there is no God" atheist, and the "there is a God" theist, are really identical conjoined twins fighting over who's better looking!

Theists MUST lie, all logic and truth becomes fodder for validating and feeding that infection.
Hence the lack of importance of theist sites, or atheist sites to anyone other than atheists and theists, bickering off into the sunset, emotional issues as yet unresolved...

There is no dearth of atheist persecuting 'Xtians'!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss
I say that it is all BS!
Wanna know why?
The sect of atheists who assert that "there is no God", are infected with the same 'belief infection' as their 'theist' counterparts!

Are you saying that a lack of belief is a belief?

A 'belief' is a pathologically symptomatic infection of the imagination, the ego!

What universal belief do all atheists hold?

So I would say that pound for pound, the "there is no God" atheist, and the "there is a God" theist, are really identical conjoined twins fighting over who's better looking!

An atheist doesn't need to directly state "there is no god".

For instance, through observations I've come to the conclusion that nature begets nature. I don't see a need for any gods to exist, therefore it is irrational to believe one could exist. Thus, I'm an atheist, subject to change upon evidence.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I tend to identify as an agnostic-atheist with spiritualist tendencies.

basically I am a little bit stupid, and a little bit evil.

I am comfortable with that

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I say that it is all BS!
Wanna know why?

Are you saying that a lack of belief is a belief?

No, I am not.
To positively offer an assertion, such as that there is no God, in a philosophic discussion, requires positive philosophic, logical, scientific, evidentiary support!
That there is none, nor can there be, such positive assertion must be the symptom of a 'belief'.
The exact same 'belief infection' as the common theist positively asserting that there is a God!
Different strain is all, but symptoms are consistent!
A positive assertion does NOT = 'no belief'! Not necessarily.
But in this case it must, because the reason that one cannot 'prove' that something does not exist, is because everything exists! *__-

What universal belief do all atheists hold?
Again, I was careful to point out "The sect of atheists who assert that "there is no God"", just in case there is something of which I am unaware....
You are creating straw-men in your use of 'Universal' and 'all'.
To state there is no God is to state a 'belief', as there is no evidence.
Besides, beliefs are readily known by their symptoms.

An atheist doesn't need to directly state "there is no god".
Hence my "The sect of atheists who assert that "there is no God""!
If there is an 'atheist' who says; I have no idea, and if new info arrives, I will revise my position of ignorance (the only honest intellectual position), then he is, I thought, an agnostic!
Anyway, even if there are your magic elves, my point remains valid for the group that is being addressed.

For instance, through observations I've come to the conclusion that nature begets nature. I don't see a need for any gods to exist, therefore it is irrational to believe one could exist. Thus, I'm an atheist, subject to change upon evidence.

Existence = the complete Universe = Nature = Reality = Consciousness = Truth = Love = 'Self!' = God = Brahman = Tao = ... etc....
ALL INCLUSIVE!!
'One'!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

that would be a gnostic atheist..aka, a religious nut.
you can check them by demanding they prove their claim. they didn't say they dont believe...they are claiming a fact..facts are arrived by evidence, not lack of..
gnostics annoy everyone

"there is a God" theist, are really identical conjoined twins fighting over who's better looking!

Theists MUST lie, all logic and truth becomes fodder for validating and feeding that infection.

Not 100% correct, and it may sound like I am nitpicking, but it is a important distinction here
a gnostic must lie..a gnostic atheist claims there is no god. a gnostic theist claims there is a god
neither can back up their claim with proof
however
HOWEVER
of the two, the one who may have a shred of honesty is the theist..a theist may be screaming there is a god because (s)he recieved subjective proof: God whisked said person to heaven, but left to evidence when plopped back down into the ground...so the person claiming that god exists may be right..but since there is no evidence backing the claim up, then it must be seen as simply a unproven claim...but that person may not necessarily be lying.
I imagine if alien abductions is a real thing, this must be the most frustrating aspect of it all...a real experience that simply can't be objectively proven outside of wild claims.

Anyhow,
Agnostic atheists and agnostic theists are the honest ones typically..they see no hard proof of deities. one simply reserves belief until such proof is provided, the other will err on the side of loose belief because..why not..get extra holidays, or makes them feel better, whatever.
both are tolerable human beings.

Gnostics are a bag of anger. Agnostics are shiny and chrome.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join