It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is really getting ridiculous: Special Snowflake Syndrome

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have one of these. He's getting his masters in a liberal arts program, and is voting for Bernie. But he's rational enough that he and I talk about it, and he concedes points (as do I), with each of us being enriched by our conversations in the end.

Imagine that. People actually talking, while respecting each other, and coming out better than they went into the conversation. If we could only bottle and sell that to the masses.

Anyway, i have one of those. He's not much of a snowflake, though. He turns down money I try to give to him, actually. Wish the younger one had that kind of character. But in hearing him talk about his peers, I see less and less value in a college degree.

You don't need a degree to succeed in life. You just need a work ethic. You can't learn that in college.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
You don't need a degree to succeed in life. You just need a work ethic. You can't learn that in college.

You used to be able to, back when scholarships required certain degrees of merit and had strict GPA requirements and student loans were actually difficult to obtain. College kids either had to be bright enough to keep their free ride or work their ass off while going to school to pay for school. Lot fewer liberal arts majors outside of community colleges and JuCos back then...

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

You used to be able to, back when scholarships required certain degrees of merit and had strict GPA requirements and student loans were actually difficult to obtain. College kids either had to be bright enough to keep their free ride or work their ass off while going to school to pay for school. Lot fewer liberal arts majors outside of community colleges and JuCos back then...

When my mom was young, it mattered.

not completely on topic, but sort of....but it all goes back to universities feeling a need to constantly pay for upgrades/additions. You can't get more loan money until you have enough income to qualify it. How does a university solve this? Increase the number of admissions and raise the price tag, like any company would.

So we have monetized education. Its a product. Its not scholarship any more. Hell, even high school diploma's are becoming only a perceived value. In our school district they will do everything short of letting you graduate for sleeping at home. They don't have drop outs any more. All their drop outs are "homeschooled". And you don't even have to attend. You just have to make a deal with the guidance counselor to do some halfass work online once you are a senior. Mostly because about 15% of all seniors never complete their senior year here.

this chip on my shoulder is so big its making my voice echo.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It's getting to be that you get what you pay for in primary school which means we have public school and private school, and if you don't pay for private school, then you aren't getting much of value. The problem, of course, is that the world perceives the diploma of the public and private much the same and runs you through the same college grinder unless you are talking elite private institution which costs as much as a good college.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's already here. I've recently started to describe our son's private school as an addiction. He and his classmates (at just the Pre-K level) are so far beyond where other kids are (let alone the kids that never attended school yet) that there is NO WAY we could send him to a public school for kindergarten. I expect this trend until his graduates high school. Hopefully by then I'll have saved enough to not put him in debt to continue his education.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015 and not eating dirt like its a food group... Oh the childhood memories we older peeps have...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I have always found these special snowflakes to be about as hilariously pathetic a group of people as I've ever run across. That said, it's getting out of hand and I'm seriously beginning to doubt America's future

Seriously ?!

That's what you think is flushing your country down the toilet ?!

Not the:

- too big to fail banksters ?
- corporate-bought self-interest politicians ?
- budget deficits ?
- failing public education system ?
- jobs shipping overseas ?
- government overspending ?

Think again.

- special too big to fail snowflakes
- special corporate-bought self-interest politician-snowflakes
- special budget deficit-snowflakes
- etc. pp.

You'll get the drift, very special snowflakes everywhere! And they all demand specific laws to keep their ado comfortable, otherwise the consequences would be devastating for the market/ governance/ whatever. Of course...

Another way to look at it, just saying.

This isn't about America at all. Welcome to the western oligarchy in general and more specific, to the amount of bigotry involved legitimizing special snowflake crap.

Late to the party, but I like this thread. Thought something similar recently.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This is ridiculous. I hate Trump, don't get me wrong. But people have a right to their political opinions and to advertise them. Is a college campus really the best place to do that? Probably not. But these people need to grow a pair because you shouldn't feel "afraid" or "unsafe" just because some people don't agree with your political views.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
my 15 year old daughter is in the NJROTC at her school and completed mini boot camp at West Point with a very painful infected spider bite she told nobody about

lease don't assume all kids are soft

that's silly

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

And I hoped for a moment (never really thought) that this thread would mention something about Lawrence Krauss and all his snowflake fans. The situation is a lot worse than you just described, and seeing that you're a Trump fan tirading against those who might not vote for Trump, well....I think I'll give up on trying to get through to anyone (for a while at least, I'll probably try again at some point in the future).

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Bwahahaha! The truth, never better said!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Perhaps these special snowflakes will mature with age as they realize that life is not all about them.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

"If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain"

(The quote is attributed to everyone from Churchill to Disraeli)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Trump is by far the most polarizing presidential candidate I have ever witnessed in my 27 years of existence.

I apologize in advance because I'm probably going to sound like a prick.... but.... in your whole TWENTY SEVEN years of existence. So that means ten years ago you were 17? So basically you've been old enough to pay attention to Obama and perhaps a little Bush (with their associated opponents). I'm sorry but I laughed when I read that.

I'm actually not THAT MUCH older than you but I just found that funny. It's like "Out of the TWO things I've seen, this third one is just insane."

I'm not trying to sound like a hater or be condescending but I literally laughed out loud.

Me too.

Anyone remember Pat Buchanan's run for office?

Harte

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Whaler

I can't be sure, but I think a message like that has to come with a "Trigger Warning" these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join