It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is really getting ridiculous: Special Snowflake Syndrome

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
This is a list of descriptors used here in relation to fellow human beings over disagreement. In retaliation, it’s not a stretch that those people described in this way will, as a response, double down in their efforts to fight back.

Special snowflakes
Thin skinned waste of space
Total sissified baby
Stoners
Thin skinned zeroes
Turds

It is efforts like this which have led to violence in the past. They’re people… not crass names. Whatever we think of their ideas, it’s a dangerous game we play when we demonize in such ways.

Besides, it’s gutter talk, imho.

The trivialization and demonizing of others is often done in a ritualistic way, using the same words and following established and repeating patterns and sequences. It may include name-calling and implications of lower intelligence or other ability. Personal characteristics get simplified and stereotyped. Comparative words may well be used, framing others as less than those in one's own group.

changingminds.org...

edit on 24/3/16 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Wow talk about special snowflake... a few kids get upset about something and here comes the tears. Someone did something I don't like! Some kids protested at their school, how many more of you outraged by that are now protesting online? And you guys still can't get free speech right but in your mistaken context of what free speech is are you also not trying to shame people into perhaps not being so quick to speak?
edit on 3/24/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Snowflake syndrome went out of control with the invention of Facebook, now everyone is a special little snowflake and demands their share of the limelight.

I myself see this as the age of the Kali Yuga, the age of idle gossip, depravity, low whit, emotional rather then intellectual displays...ie its the age of the drama queen !

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Some of these people will be the future leaders of this country...Maybe.

Yeah, after they've grown up and matured a little more.

Right now they're just young college students doing what young college students do... protesting for the sake of protesting.

But apparently, they're the reason why the country has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Evidently becoming mature and grown up doesn't mean anything, if all the grown up and mature professors are willing to humor them.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Man, I have a bachelor of fine art degree--imagine the "sissified-baby" syndrome that goes around in the art building.

It's pretty scary, but I survived.

I should have grabbed 39 of my like-minded friends and complained to the president of the university that I felt pain--I didn't feel safe because of the scary uber-liberal rantings of some people.

At least it was only 40-ish people, but still, how many silent partners of the protest share the same sentiment? THAT'S the scary thought, because it's probably a lot.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: zinc12 Americans in general are massive drama queens, brought up on a diet of Hollywood and entertainment news. I see as much with the conservative movement too, when the bundy take over a ranch and pretend they're part of some modern western Hollywood blockbuster taking over their very own safe space to promote their views on freedom, Liberty something and stuff.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Wow talk about special snowflake... a few kids get upset about something and here comes the tears. Someone did something I don't like! Some kids protested at their school, how many more of you outraged by that are now protesting online? And you guys still can't get free speech right but in your mistaken context of what free speech is are you also not trying to shame people into perhaps not being so quick to speak?

This is all heading towards infinite regression, and i see no escape from it.
1. Anonymous comments supportive of Trump are written on walls. Arguably this is an expression of free speech.
2. Protesters complain that the authorities should be doing something about this (this would have to involve heavy police work, I suppose). This is free speech, but also, arguably, an attempt to repress free speech.
3. The opening post laughs at the protesters for what they are doing. This is free speech, but also, arguably, an attempt to repress the free speech of 2.
4. Comments like yours and similar criticise the comments of the opening post, and similar, on the basis that they are attempting to repress the free speech of 2. Your comments are free speech, but also, arguably, an attempt to repress the free speech of 3.
5. That last observation is the expression of my free speech, but I suppose you might want to regard it as an attempt to repress the free speech of 4.?
And so on, ad infinitum.

My acquaintance with student politics is limited to the British scene. The impression I gained there is that left-wing students operate a double standard, believing that their own political viewpoint has a privilege of free speech which must be explicitly denied to anyone they consider right-wing. At least that is how they manageto call a halt to the infinite regression.
I wonder if this is true in America as well.

edit on 24-3-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Over entitled yuppie kids, the products of bad parenting and a failed education system

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Big deal, they protested. As long as nobody gives in to them wishing to curtail others speech, and nobody curtails theirs, it'll be a good lesson learned. I'd be concerned if their protesting resulted in pro-Trump chalkings being banned on campus. Instead, they learned a valuable lesson:

Everyone has a right to their opinion, and no matter how much you cry about people having a differing opinion, other people get to express their opinions too.
edit on 3/24/2016 by dogstar23 because: Swypo

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

It doesn't matter how old I am

So why did you bring it up?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

You're missing the point--the OP is emphasizing the absurdity that "adults" in our modern college system are scared and feel unsafe because of a few chalk-written words that support a presidential candidate with whom they apparently disagree. They ran to mommy and daddy administrator because their other mommy and daddy weren't there to bring them their blankie and tell them that everything will be okay.

If you can't see that this is a terrible foreshadowing of what types of real adults that these people will become, there's no point in discussing further.

Also, I don't think that you understand what free speech is: You can't just do whatever you want in regards to free speech and not expect backlash, or opposition, or negative reactions, or any myriad of consequences. And just because some of us find their speech absolutely asinine (remember, these are supposed to be "adults") doesn't mean that you can, in turn, lecture us about shaming others while at the same time trying to shame us because we're exercising our free speech rights.

I mean, I guess you could run out and protest our concern over what these kids are saying, and maybe someone will set up a "safe zone" for you where you don't have to hear or read anything that counters these "adults'" comments in the OP, but then again, I could just say that if you don't like it, ignore it. If you don't want to ignore it, don't pretend like only one side has the right to free speech and to express their opinions on the matter.

These people should be shamed--maybe they'll wake up and realize that they're acting like my two-year-old daughter when the dog accidentally knocks her over instead of like the adults that they are pretending to be. Yes, they should think things through before "being so quick to speak," because any intelligent person will tell you that basing a protest--or any comment, really--on a primarily emotional foundation is never a good approach, especially when you're appealing to people of authority for some sort of help.

Here's a better protest...wipe away the chalk and go on with your life without acting like the school bully just pushed you off of the slide during recess. In kindergarten.

But I guess doing things for one's self isn't always the go-to approach for solving problems these days.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

From now on, whenever someone posts pro-Bernie, pro-Hillary, or pro-Obama, I'm reporting them to the mods for inflicting physical pain on my eyes. The mods are not listening! I don't deserve to be afraid on my favourite forum.

/sarcasm...in case a special snowflake reads this and isn't sure.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

and yeah, I posted that with every hope that someone, somewhere read it and ended up under their desk, quivering in fear and pain.

Wow big guy, you're real nice.
Hopefully dinosaurs like you become extinct soon. your whole post was full of macho crap that continues to be part of the problem.

Seriously?

If you really can't see how overly sensitive the entire generation is becoming, you are a bit ignorant sorry to say.

With social media and technology advancements, it has gotten to the point where we have.

Take a look at what some of this social media has created http:// age of s h i tlords.com/list-of-all-tumblr-genders-so-far (take out spaces and copy and paste it in)

List of Genders that apparently exists

Here are a few examples from that link

Absorgender– A gender that changes to conform to the genders of those around you. As you are around more people, even if some leave, they continue to add to the genders you feel. You remain as the genders that you have taken in until you hit a max of some sort. At that point you become like a blank slate, being only one gender (it doesn’t have to be agender or neutral, it can be any gender and the base gender can be different each time). If you absorb one gender more easily than other genders, you can replace gender in the term with the gender you absorb best. Like absorgirl, absornonbinary, absordemiboy, etc.

Angeligender– A gender found only among angels, that is hard to describe to non-angels. For godkin and angelkin only.

Caprigender– A capricious, rapidly changing/untrackable gender.

That's just a couple of the ridiculous ones that people label themselves with and actively defend

People believe they are so special that they create their own genders, and get offended when you tell them otherwise.

People get triggered with the littlest things. Look at this post here www.theguardian.com...

Trigger warnings in online spaces, though, have expanded widely and become more intricate, detailed, specific and obscure. Trigger warnings, and their cousin the "content note", are now included for a whole slew of potentially offensive or upsetting content, including but not limited to: misogyny, the death penalty, calories in a food item, terrorism, drunk driving, how much a person weighs, racism, gun violence, Stand Your Ground laws, drones, homophobia, PTSD, slavery, victim-blaming, abuse, swearing, child abuse, self-injury, suicide, talk of drug use, descriptions of medical procedures, corpses, skulls, skeletons, needles, discussion of "isms," neuroatypical shaming, slurs (including "stupid" or "dumb"), kidnapping, dental trauma, discussions of sex (even consensual), death or dying, spiders, insects, snakes, vomit, pregnancy, childbirth, blood, scarification, Nazi paraphernalia, slimy things, holes and "anything that might inspire intrusive thoughts in people with OCD".

college students who are now asking that trigger warnings be applied to their course materials.

It's really getting ridiculous, people are too overtly sensitive, they can't handle the real world, cause they are stuck in their own.

They hide behind their computers and social media at home, and they apply those tactics to real life.

Social Media is poison, and it is something no previous generation had to deal with.

Its a downwards slope.
edit on 24-3-2016 by AnnihilateThis because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2016 by AnnihilateThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Scared? In pain? Over 'Trump 2016' written in chalk? Ed Rendell was right. It's the 'wussification' of America.

"Gov. Ed Rendell Stands By His Belief In The "Wussification of America"
www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 3jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AnnihilateThis

You are really just generalizing aren't you. LOOK WHAT THESE MILLENIALS PUT ON TUMBLR LOOK HOW SENSITIVE THEY ARE. What I'm going to tell you old dinosaurs something STOP. JUST STOP. All you guys are doing is going on the Internet to search up some bull# to confirm your own biases. You probably think every millenial is some Starbucks drinking tumblr using feminist. You guys are legit out of your #ing minds. I live in NJ one of the most liberal states in America. Literally NO ONE I know even knows what the # that lgbt gender bull# is. You guys have such a distorted view of the world it's almost laughable. Apparently according to you guys throughout school we were given trophies in gym for participating. That never happened.

Apparently we're all PC and don't like to curse or we might offend someone. I haven't met a male high school student who doesn't repeatedly curse his ass off with his friends. Aparently we are "soft". I've seen more fights in my suburban high school than I ever will in my adult life. All you guys have as a reference is the Internet. You know who gets the most views on the Internet? Sensationalist bull# does that's what. You guys are focusing on a extremist minority and generalizing normal #ing kids who just want to get on with their lives. You wanna know what MILLENIALS want? Good jobs and a government that constantly doesn't # us over.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Folks, how about a little compassion here??? I call upon Bernie Sanders and the living members of the Grateful Dead to drop everything and head to Emory for rally and free concert to help re-build the tattered walls of the bubble that these overgrown toddlers live in.

[DISCLAIMER: As a long time deadhead that lives fairly close to Atlanta, I might have some self-serving motives here. P.S. Make sure Trey Anastasio is the guitarist and not John Mayer.]

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
More than that, in this case, it's even more ridiculous ... "chalking" on the Emory campus is regular and ordinary.

And more than that, this wasn't in any manner "a protest" because they don't agree with Trump's policies, or something he's said, or even the violence at his rallies ... this was a demand on President Wagner to "find and punish" those who dared to write "Trump 2016" in locations where they could see it.

I'm as left as they come, but this is nothing more than Stasi techniques trying to use the government to spy on and shut down other's expression. This is the exact WRONG use of political power, that any liberal/leftist should be in clear opposition to.

Yeah, I said "should." It's ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Source

The University will review footage “up by the hospital [from] security cameras” to identify those who made the chalkings, Wagner told the protesters. He also added that if they’re students, they will go through the conduct violation process, while if they are from outside of the University, trespassing charges will be pressed.

If this is true the debate should be about why are the "adults" in this situation coddling them rather than using this as a teaching moment to let them know... free speech means you have to on occasion hear things you dont like, we cant go down the road of censoring some speech because eventually they will come to censor you.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

What I'd like to know is whether anyone has written other political messages on the sidewalk, such as "Hillary 2016" or "Sanders 2016" and whether the University worked has hard to apprehend these rule-breakers.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Our future is bleak if any of these thin skinned wastes of space ever advance themselves to any positions of authority.

77 flags for this - and you're the one that's worried about our future

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join