It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphics card question...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
So, I have a question that maybe someone here can help me with....
Is there any way to identify a graphics card without putting it into my pc? I suppose I could just plug it in and find out, but not really wanting to do that right now if I don't have to or before I know more about this particular card and/or if it's an improvement on what I have right now.

.....I took a chance and did a bit of trading with a guy and grabbed this card for some old parts I didn't need, so before anyone says "why did you just grab up a gpu"....don't worry, I've got absolutely nothing in it, really.

Thanks for any help in advance.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Post or PM me a pic of the card in question and i will try and help.

Most GFX cards have a small white label with a bar code/serial located on the PCB. You could try reading that or typing the serial in to Google.
edit on 23-3-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Misunderstood

edit on 23-3-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It's not in my pc...lol (stated that in the OP...musta missed it, aye?)
Just got the thing.

Andy, I'll send some pics as soon as I get my tablet to send them to my email...for some reason the danged thing is being a pain right now and won't send photos over to email.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Free star, since I was picking on you a bit there.

Thanks for attempting to help though.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Best I got right now. Tablet is being a nuisance.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Flip it over and see if there are any stickers on it... Take close up pics of the stickers.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Cant really make much out but judging by its size and the size of the fan i would say your not going to be able to play/run any modern type games at a decent frame rate.

Are there any serial numbers on the pcb or Nvidia/ATI logos?
edit on 23-3-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yeah, kinda figured that, but I'd imagine it's an upgrade from what I'm running now (Geforce 6200 TC)...
Some have told me I couldn't push a few games I'm pushing with that....I'm basically playing Stock Car Extreme (2013 edition...v 1.52) for the most part these day and am running about 35 to 40 fps consistently, even with that 6200...so, if it can't provide a bit more than that, that's really all I care about at this time.

I don't do a lot of modern gaming. I play a lot of COD 4 (yeap, I like the old stuff...lol) and run it (after a lot of tweaking the console) at around 50 or so fps, pretty much consistently, day in and day out.

Sorry about the crappy pics...will try to get some better ones soon. (My tablet is junk)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
CN-0P002P-74431-01R-0190-A00.

If anyone could find some information on that....that would be very very appreciated. Running into dead ends, it seems.
Maybe someone with more search fu could find something though.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I searched the number and all that came up were chinese sites lol.

PS. check your inbox

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Looks a lot like this one....

Not identical but close, could be another variation of your card. This ones a CN-0F343F ATI Radeon HD3450 256MB DDR2

edit on 23/3/2016 by longy9999 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/3/2016 by longy9999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Yeah, that's what I got. And then I did it again, and again, and again. Still didn't find anything.
Grrr....guess I'm just going to plug the damned thing in...but then I have to delete the drivers for my old card. I don't want to do that without knowing anything about this one.

Even if it's a small improvement, I'll do it...but if this thing isn't even as "powerful" (term used loosely given I'm running a nvidia geforce 6200 turbo cache atm) as what I have presently, I'm going to be pissed at myself for this. I've seen a lot of problems people have had after updating their drivers for that gpu.

,......damn it, I just wanna race man!

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Not to beat a dead horse but without knowing make or model number there is really no way of knowing if its going to be an improvement or not.

The two main GPUs are Nividia and ATI.

Whenever you figure whatever it is out make sure you check to see if the latest drivers will run the titles in question. The latest drivers are not always best for certain older titles though. There are gaming forums that could help in this regard. Oftentimes, a newer driver version or the latest will fix a whole host of unrelated issues but will destroy game play-ability and frame rates of older titles. May need to find an older driver to run your titles smoothy. Check [once the make and model is ascertained] on their website if they have older drivers available.

ETA : Good luck

edit on 23-3-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Deleting my old drivers to install this thing just to see what it is, and then killing my only ability to race right now would be......worse than tragic.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: longy9999

Indeed it does. I run across that one while inputting some numbers on this thing as well (not sure exactly which ones...forgot at this point...too...many....numbers)

Only difference, I see no VGA connect on that one.

Or the top is the VGA connection and there is no HDMI connection (which is on this one)
TY....

ETA: Saw the edit after posting.

Yeah, very similar. And like I said, something I ran across somehow earlier.

Again, thanks.

edit on 23-3-2016 by Jakal26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Go to nidivias site and just download and save the latest drivers for your present card then do the deal with the new/old card. Sad to say I've been there and done that.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet...
edit on 23-3-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Only problem is, the latest drivers for that old 6200 tc seem to cause a lot of problems for some. Read a lot of negative stuff.

Man, this is like that horse I fell off of and didn't immediately get back on. I'm gun shy. LOL

....yeah, think you're right, I'm just going to say f it, bite the bullet and do it.

Thanks for the motivation to just shut up with this bs and move on and go for it.

What's the worst that could happen? Oh, right. No more sim racing

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Live and learn.

Just learned.

Meh...back to the old 6200 for now. Working fine, nothing broken, so 1 plus I suppose

Not compatible.

Guess I could have saved everyone (self included) some time and just looked first.
More research necessary on my part.

Now, what to do with this thing that I just traded for .... *out the window it goes

Thanks for trying to help, everyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join