It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did something pretty rude today. What would you have done?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

If that's what you call rude in Canada (on your end) than damn you are some polite people eh? :p you did everything right the guy is a wierdo and deserved to be treated like one, I would of given him a grossed out look at the thought of his earbuds and then told him that's retarded I'm not putting in your earbuds I may even asked if he had a problem. You are fine, you did nothing wrong.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

You did exactly what I would have done (and have done in the past): just take my ish and walk away without saying a word.

People like that are sad. You told him numerous times you were busy, and you were generous enough to share your table with him, but he still didn't get it.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Maybe I felt , initially, that I was being extremely rude, because I'm from an excessively small town and it's not something I would ever need to do at home.

But now, hearing from everyone here...next time I'm in the city, I'm going to test the limits of my rudeness even further.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input. Even the one person who thought I was, in fact, being a total b*^%h.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: ColeYounger

Save it for Starbucks.

Ouch, what a burn! What a blow to my pride.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Just be honest. Tell the 'encroacher' that you're busy and you don't have time to talk to them.
(Even if it's something as crucial as comparing Sonic Youth to V.U.)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I would have ordered another coffee so I would have two cups with my remaining one. Then I`d clean my nostrils in one cup and spit in the other and asked him to tell me which one is better. If he refused, I would insist just like he did

But seriously I think I would have just told him to # off in a polite way.
edit on 23-3-2016 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I`m really good at tuning people out so after he sat down I probably wouldn`t have heard %90 of what he said.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I always carry ear buds of some kind. I found that people won't bug you if they think you can't hear them. I lived in a few places were the street people would constantly bug you for change or a cig or well...anything really. Once I started wearing the ear buds regardless of whether I had music playing or not it stopped people from bugging me completely. Just a simple tip to avoid those situations completely.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Well, there comes a time when someone is just trying to make a bit of friendly talk (which is no big deal and can be a pleasant experience more times than not). But then there's those times where someone is not picking up on the signals that you're not interested in having a conversation with them at that particular time and instead insist on forcing themselves on you.

So when the latter happens (and they've ignored all of your polite signals), here's a favourite of mine:

Start acting all looney-like... they run like a bat out of hell within 2.4 minutes with this tactic.

When asked a question, respond to said person by talking to them through your nose making that nasal-y sound that makes you look like you were just recently released from the funny farm.

And when they give you that shocked weird look at the sound of your voice, that's when you jump up and start flailing your arms all over the place yelling at them "The submarine is not yellow ! The submarine is not yellow !"... then start dancing the soft shoe toe tap whilst singing "Mr. Bojangles".

Just be sure to make it the best Academy Award winning performance of a lifetime.

Then sit back and savour in the fruits of your labour as they run like the wind - up from their chair, out the door, and down the street... in absolute fear of their life.

It also makes for a great bedtime story to tell all your grandkiddies some day down the road.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Fart.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Sonic Youth is better and if anyone was rude, it was the jerk that kept annoying you.

Have a great evening.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

That's not being rude. you were being very nice. seems like to me he was trying to advance on you. just put on ur headphones and pretend u dont hear. that's what i usually do to people i dont want to talk to. even with no music playing lol.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Dont think you where being rude. You had something to do and wanted to do it. You explained that and he still continued. It was he that was rude.

Really would not worry about it

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
maybe he thought you were cute and wanted a date, but you werent rude infact you should have been ruder.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don't think you were rude or deserving of being called a name.
I understand the "dance" between men and women but,
why can't a person (assuming he could have been interested in you as a friend or romantically) just sit down and perhaps say...
"You look busy but, I wanted to tell you that _____(insert some cute little whatever) and I would like to buy you a cup of coffee"
That would give you the opportunity to say "yes and thank you" or "I'm not available for anything other than friendship" or "Today is really not good perhaps we could meet another time".
Sometimes people can't handle rejection well. So, be thankful that he revealed his "true self" straight away and you didn't become friends or lovers and find out later of his disrespect of women.

Just my opinion.
(that's a cup of coffee BTW)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I would have said no to both The Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth and said that I enjoy John Cage's 4'33". (of silence)

edit on 23-3-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You did the right thing, I especially know how hard it is to walk away from someone calling me a bitch and it haunts me for years for not saying something back, but I stayed out of trouble and sitting in jail can make a person wish they hadn't said anything sometimes. It does depend on the situation and surroundings, if I know I can get away with doing it, I will but in your situation and crowd I wouldn't have. It totally sounds like something that would happen to me , the guy sounds like a political activist.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

I would've told him to stfu, nobody gaf about those bands outside of a small niche, stop being a hipster douche and to get off my jock, but I'm a guy and he probably wouldn't have felt he could have done that form the start.

In all honesty he probably was hoping to hit on you, didnt work w his cheese-ball tactics, and he got a lil butt hurt. No loss on your end, there be countless emotionally unstable people out there aside from this guy.

This. I would've probably told him no, he couldn't sit at my table from the jump.

Hipsters are annoying AF. It's just not cool anymore, bro...

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I feel like I'm late to this party but I just wanted to let you know, OP, that I like you and I'm a fan of your writing here on ATS.

And that perhaps when you told this guy that he could share your table, he took that as an invite/sign/welcome to converse with you. And that's maybe what happened here. I have read some of the responses but I didn't see this yet so here it goes.

I know that sometimes smiling at people alone can lead to awkward social interactions, so welcoming someone to your table is like asking for awkward social interactions times ten. And if I welcomed someone at my table I would probably feel obligated to engage with them for a little while before politely departing. And it's like, not your fault at all. But sometimes... you give people an inch and they go for the mile (like when you smile at the opposite sex, they think you want sex- and it goes either way, girl smiles at boy or boy smiles at girl, everyone's imagination runs wild). And some people don't take hints that you don't want to give them any more inches after you've given them the initial inch.

Anyway so, that's what sounds like happened here a little, anyway. And you weren't too rude, but I don't think he was really rude, either. I think he was oblivious of your work-mode and instead hopeful of getting your attention... and he took your welcome as an invite to converse with you. And I think you were oblivious to his probably pretty obvious intentions of getting to know you a little better and I think you are maybe a little oblivious of the permission that you gave him(even if it was accidental) by accepting him at your table. So next time, just be aware of that exchange of permission/welcome/invite, if at all possible. Don't welcome strangers to your table if you don't want to be social, or if you do... lay down the law first. Tell them you're not interested in conversation, be firm.!

Also, I'm pretty paranoid about strangers (who are they, who do they know, are they connected to someone, do they know me? and will they try to hurt me if I'm unkind or turn into a crazy stalker at any point in my life even if I am kind to them?) so AT FIRST, I'm always pretty nice and engaging. Not overtly, but I give people chances. And if I get a creep vibe at any point, then I distance myself and I WILL start with the stink eye if the situation calls for it... but, yeah, so like I said before, if I said it was ok for him to sit at my table and he wanted to have a conversation with me? I would've had a conversation with him. If I didn't want to have a conversation with him? I would have literally gotten up and given the table to him, in a gesture of upmost kindness, and moved elsewhere/left.

K. ily. lol.
edit on 23-3-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Walking away in this instance wasn't rude it was prudent , you got up and walked away to finish your work and that's the focus right there your work!..if he had called me something i'd probably flip him the bird without looking back and kept walking..however under slightly different circumstances i'd have gotten into his face and what ever happens..happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join