It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Babymetal Addiction Center and Support Group

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well, hi, My name is SaturnFX and I'm an addict.

I wanted to start out by first admitting it. I like Babymetal. No, like is something you do to some background music at a supermarket when it isn't terrible..I guess a better word is love...addicted to the sound and visual circus of babymetal.

I will start from the beginning.

It started long ago when I was watching some variety show. It was just a quick segment discussing strange japan (boy do they make them strange).
a clip was shown of what I later can identify as Ijime,Dame,Zettai.

As a older metalhead, I found the video absurd, what was this crazyness. these tiny japanese girls singing seemingly anime pop to the backing of some actual ripping metal beats...sillyness, yet the visuals were on point and by the end of the full video I found my foot tapping. Cringe came heavy at the fake guitar playing by one of the tiny ones, but it was also strangely adorable. Whatever..a one off experience, japan is weird, move on.

a couple years later, I forgot about them, then on a internet surfing session I stumbled across them again, this time they weren't singing about..nothing I could identify, this time it was about wanting more chocolate
hey, I can totally identify with that actually, but what I seen was..not the chocolate I was looking for

They appeared a bit older, but I recognized them immediately as those weird japanese girls from years earlier and that one song. My non-experience with japanese did identify that even in their language half the song was nonsense (atatatatatatatatata something..)..This song was initially less interesting to me until suddenly they showed the audience..and it was an actual audience..a concert..time to check out what this madness truely is.
Thats where it got me

Following this video, I remember it like yesterday, I went from curious to shocked that I was more into this band than I think I ever have been in any metal (or pop) band in the last 20+ years.
The song that changed it all for me was Megitsune

I finally understood..Babymetal isn't trying to become a metal or pop band, they are trying to become global rulers through cuteness.

How would I hide this..what would my friends and family think of one day they walked in and found me throwing the horns up to a babymetal song..my god, I even started calling the horns the fox sign..had I really fallen this deep over one song?
I felt I needed to break away from the studio crafted videos, the special effects, photoshopped and cg tricks of fake videos and just watch them in concert. People suck in concert compared to videos and surely that would break the spell of these baby demons

so I moved to Road to Resistance - Live in Japan. perfect..I too seek resistance from this cuteness overload that has awoken the metal beast in me not seen since metallica's and justice for all days.
and this is what I got

it was a trap! my god, their true power comes from stage, not video!!!
It was here when I realized I was done. how can that band be soo damn good! how can these girls have such control and stage presence?!! This was a studio creation, not some formed...no, nevermind. it didn't matter..all I wanted was to be there, shouting with the crowd at this amazing performance.

I was done, I knew there was no coming back. I thought it would help, but it solidified the addiction. From there, I went through a spiral of babymetal video consumption
Headbanger? sure

Iine? why not!

Doki Doki Morning? sure, give me a double!

and on and on it went. I was out of control, a crazy person. I was learning japanese lyrics, watching interviews, checking up on the kami bands previous works, it was madness..MADNESS

So thats where I was.
I tried to hide it whenever possible, but I became sloppy. I found my horns were turning into foxes, discussing japanese metal with friends, hinting..signalling.
And then just as I felt maybe I could start controlling it..they put out a new video..

Karate

How can one man stand against such cuteness and awesome?!!

Anyhow, that is my story.
I tried it initially because it was the cool kids were doing, sure. just wanted to see what it was like, then later it became I could quit anytime. Now, I lost all my oldschool elitist metal cred. If my story helps but a single person avoid babymetal introduction, then my story has done its job. Do not watch more than 1 video of babymetal ever.

the alias's you can identify in case you have a friend or family member experimenting with babymetal. keep an ear out for this:
Su-Metal: Vocals and dance
Moa-Metal: Scream and dance
Yui-Metal: Scream and dance
Koba-Metal: Fox God messenger (aka, the producer)
Kami-Band: Immortals with instruments

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I sense......pity.

Fortunately,some of those songs are GEMA restricted.😃

Since I'm now a fan of "Die Antwoord"(yes,because of Chappie)I can't really say anything about anyone's taste in music.

I'm a Slipknot and Amon Amarth man,too.

Still,if you like them,props to you.

Weirdo😉

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Ah Babymetal!

I used to just use occasionally on the weekends with friends. You know, "when in Rome..." and as G-n-R sang so long ago, "I used to do a little but the little wouldn't do it so the little got more and more."

I eventually had to go full cold turkey. I also stopped hanging with my friend who introduced me to the stuff. And I am glad I have my 2nd gen iPod with only 80's and 90's music on it (maxed out so I cannot add anything more). And if I can stop, so can you!

Move to Japan? Learning Japanese?! Good Lord man!

[ETA: You can always get a good Opeth habit going]
edit on 23-3-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: because it is Opeth

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter

I sense......pity.

Fortunately,some of those songs are GEMA restricted.😃

Since I'm now a fan of "Die Antwoord"(yes,because of Chappie)I can't really say anything about anyone's taste in music.

I'm a Slipknot and Amon Amarth man,too.

Still,if you like them,props to you.

Weirdo😉

Nobody who listens to Die Antwoord can ever call anyone else a weirdo!

Actually, I love Die Antwoord..they are kinda schmucks irl and make me feel kinda unclean after prolonged exposure, but I do like grooving to them. I went through a..thing

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Move to Japan? Learning Japanese?! Good Lord man!

Not specifically because of babymetal mind you, I always wanted to move there to help them defeat their clear tentacle infestation..seriously..why doesn't anyone do anything about that! I seen tons of animated documentrys on em..they must be stopped!

[ETA: You can always get a good Opeth habit going]

I like Opeth. They have a bit of a type-o negative feel to them, which I've always been hooked on. old addictions of the 90s never truly get kicked.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Great read. I love metal! m/

I havent watched any vids yet but ill get back to you on that, I'm on my mobile.

Check out "Tina Guo - Forbidden City" and endulge in the rest of her awesomeness!

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
LOL, global rulers through cuteness! The music is not bad. I love J pop and this mix with metal is great. Thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
damn it japan why are you so weird and kawaii at the same time

ill check them again in 2 years when they all are over 18...
edit on 23-3-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
LOL, global rulers through cuteness! The music is not bad. I love J pop and this mix with metal is great. Thanks for sharing

I think Road to Resistance (a dragonforce song actually) sold me on them most of all..that is a proper metal song and they nailed it flawlessly. seeing that and the concert sold me on them as one of the perhaps first metal or pop bands that will become mainstream accepted by both genres in the west. thats impressive even if it was just one or the other..but both genres, and the big names backing their cred (Metallica and Lady Gaga both had them open)

This could be historical in regards to A&E

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Dude good call on the Opeth.
This Baby Metal stuff seems cool. I dig the music. Would like it better if the Babys were the ones playing.
Probably not at risk of addiction, though.

Don't want to de rail but I'm just so glad you mentioned Opeth!

Much to my disgrace i never gave them much of a chance, until recently I heard Pale Communion. Now i understand that most fans do not dig that album, and I totally get that based on the difference in sound....but goshdarnit that album blew me away!

I have spent the last few months digging into the last 20 years of Opeth catalog and it has been such a treat.
It's really bled into my writing as well.
So far i'm familiar with Watershed, Deliverance & Damnation, Still Life and Pale Communion....So much music and I'v barely scratched the surface!

I'm sorry to derail the thread maybe someone or myself should start a progressive metal/music thread....

a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is more my speed..

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
I'm sorry to derail the thread maybe someone or myself should start a progressive metal/music thread....

No worries.
I am basically bored with straight metal. I have my all time favorites (metallica, manowar, maiden, etc) but otherwise am not seeking out new regular metal bands anymore...new things though, something that brings something untried gets me..love it. love it all.
Even weird crap like this gets me watching about 300 times just to understand what it is that I am seeing (still haven't figured it out)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The band is decent but I can't get my head around it.
Probably the weirdest thing I've heard today.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
The band is decent but I can't get my head around it.
Probably the weirdest thing I've heard today.

Thats how it started for me also. yep.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Damn you SaturnFX,

I briefly dabbled with watching a couple of BabyMetal vids a few years ago but managed to escape, oops forget all about them ... until now.

Thanks to you I will now be watching all of the above vids when I get home, as I had forgotten how weirdly interesting and unusual this group is.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
D@mmit! I got home, had a beer, and watched a couple vids 😮

With a couple days off... might end watching more!

Now I get the Dragonforce influence, so thanks for that! Nothing wrong with non US dominant music. Heck, don't get me started on Metalocolypse! (As in the Sweedish guitar players!)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

I love the E5/b5 chord (open 6, B on fifth, octave E, B flat, open B, open highE) they play! Zakk also plays that one and it is cool to have as a "go to" chord!

Carp, will probably go download more BM.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: SteamyJeans

I love the E5/b5 chord (open 6, B on fifth, octave E, B flat, open B, open highE) they play! Zakk also plays that one and it is cool to have as a "go to" chord!

Carp, will probably go download more BM.

Go for it.
also learn their dance moves..that way you will understand what happens with Metallica

Moa-Metal is making it her goal to teach Metallica how to dance like them
I cant tell you how joyful it fills me to even consider James Hetfield dancing around like babymetal..extra points if the whole band wears frilly loli costumes.

I jest a lot of course, babymetal is sickly sweet and adorable, but the music they are pumping out, especially lately, is right up there with any metal I ever heard, and with both heavy pop influence and traditional japanese overtones..once the cuteness fades, you are left with a worthy metal band, a outstanding singer (Su-metal's voice is fantastic) and new life metal has been desperately needing with a in for younger people to get introduced to metal

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Well, that is a swift kick in the behind. Wasn't really expecting it to be good but they have a good band.

Ok, so little girls in Japan are flashing horns and covering Dragonforce while the youth of America are growing up on Rap. Maybe I can move to Japan, where they actually rock. Possibly get Marty Friedman to rent me a room.

Thanks, SFX. Cool find. Since metal has become more than a bit staid over the years this was refreshing.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Lol, my husband has become a diehard fan, too. I was enlightened to Gimme Chocolate on one of the music threads here, and passed the vid on to him. That kind of snowballed into binge-watching their videos, and a new fan was born.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join