It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This Something Interesting?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

A c130 has a different radar return and visible profile, not as easily hidden in civilian air traffic corridors.

Not that they need a full on mock up of navy seals trainers for any determinable reason parked in the open near an access road.

Just postulating which I am done doing now…

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

A C-130 on radar would look like just another aircraft, if it was picked up on a Primary radar. If they were pretending to be an airliner, they would file a fake flightplan, and no one would even think twice about it. Like any aircraft, they'd have to slow to jump speed for less than a minute while they went out the back, but other than that, it wouldn't appear different from any other passenger flight.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

This can be taken with a grain of salt considering the sources ability to ham things up a little. But Marcinko claimed he and his Red Cell guys trained and jumped out the back of 727s for a hit they successfully did in Libya during the 80's on some desert camp with the who's who of terrorists getting ready for some assassination plot.

Said he used the 727 because it would go unnoticed or unquestioned. Did the jump at night killed them all in their sleep.

again it's marcinko saying this so it could be totally authentic or some additional color and artistic liberty taken when describing a real mission they performed.

Not my best choice if I were to jump into combat, but he claims hes don it.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

A number of people jumping out the back of one said that it was one of the hardest shocks they experienced. It can be used as a jump platform, but there are far better ones out there that can and are used all the time.

As interesting as his stories are, I take everything from him with a huge grain of salt.
edit on 3/22/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Pretty hard to use for covert insertions from an aircraft with no engines.

'Correct observation, but it would be silent!

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

So could a C-130, which is a much better platform to jump from.

Hear, hear!

If SOCOM is going for a long distance jump they use HAHO, not HALO, and use an airfoil chute, not a wingsuit. They can stay airborne longer with that than with the suit. And the 727 is still a lousy platform to jump from.

And for very short jumps, they use LANO, but only once, and generally not by intention.

Get caught in an updraft, and a MC-4 can keep you up much longer than you'd otherwise want. I'm surprised there's no 'flying dutchman' tales of a team endlessly circling in thunderstorms, occasionally dropping notes to people on the ground.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Now that would be funny as hell. I could see it too.

And LANO would hurt like hell for a split second I would imagine.
edit on 3/22/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Now that would be funny as hell. I could see it too.

And LANO would hurt like hell for a split second I would imagine.

Also called "hop and plop" or "lawn dart mode".

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I wonder how deep you could dig on a HANO jump.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

There are almost none flying anymore and jumping from those stairs was extremely dangerous. In 2013 there were less than 200 flying worldwide, out of almost 1900 built.

Seems like I remember some kind of rule change or voluntary airline operations change that rendered those rear stairs inoperable in flight because of good ol DB.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

They weren't used at most airports because they used the jetway. What you're talking about is the Cooper Vane that kept it from being opened in flight. It was a simple paddle that the air rotated in flight so that it blocked the stairs from being deployed.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Ah, the fabled "Mr. Bean technique"

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

A C-130 on radar would look like just another aircraft, if it was picked up on a Primary radar. If they were pretending to be an airliner, they would file a fake flightplan, and no one would even think twice about it. Like any aircraft, they'd have to slow to jump speed for less than a minute while they went out the back, but other than that, it wouldn't appear different from any other passenger flight.

Except top speed for a C130 is nowhere near as fast as jet liners. They couldn't blend into airline traffic at altitude for that reason alone.

(portion redacted)
edit on 23-3-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Except they wouldn't be trying to pretend to be a jet. They'd file a false flight plan with it identified as a turboprop. It's not like you can just throw a plane up onto a jetway and the controllers are going to ignore it, without having information on it because it's on a jetway.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I wonder if it was one of the ones that I helped put the cargo door in. I worked on about 10 of them.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Here I got all excited over nothing. Bah.

Thanks to all for your posts. They were educational and funny.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

And for very short jumps, they use LANO, but only once, and generally not by intention.

Rumour has always said the Soviets brought LANO drops to Finland in the Great Patriotic War... Sounds like so much horse#, but it also sounds very Soviet, soo...

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I've been trying to get a good N-number but all the pictures of her in livery are too blurry or too far away.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Thanks but, I don't remember any of the N numbers anyway. 1988 was quite a while ago.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Yeah it was. I'm used to my memory. I can barely remember what I did last week sometimes but I remember tail numbers of aircraft from 20 years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join