It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American College of Pediatricians Says Teaching Children Transgenderism Is Child Abuse

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Also to clarify Yes it is a bit far fetched to assume your kid is transgender just because they may be a tomboy or like feminine things. There IS a distinction though they don't go hand in hand. Sally can like girl things and be comfortable in her body while Brittany may feel she was a guy but that is something for the individual to figure out on their own it really isn't something anyone can force on you period.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Hilanha

Hi Hilanha. That was a pretty dang powerful first post and I am moved by the pain of your simple existence and struggle with these things. I sense a whole lot of anger and frustration and genuinely do empathize with your situation and hope you can find the help and support to get you through. Have you seen a therapist? Is your mom approachable at all? You do know this is likely never to go away, right? That doesn't mean things are as hopeless as they seem.

Please check out Gender Spectrum and join The Lounge. They have groups for trans and non-binary teens, young adults, trans in college and groups for parents and families and educators and support providers. Good people doing good and I'm sure you'll find someone to talk to and share your feelings with. I wish there was something I could do to help make things better for you. When you have enough posts (20) please feel to private message me to talk, rant or cry.

Hang in there young friend. Like they say, it gets better.

edit on 3/26/2016 by Freija because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Luckily it hasn't gone so far as to bother me as much, as say the parts I have to constantly see. I don't really view my genitals as a part of my body in the same way as say my arm, leg, ear, or any other part. It's like the mental body map doesn't pick it up. Same goes for my frame, while my chest size isn't huge, 38", for a 5'9" person, but my shoulders bothered me when I see them, despite everyone around me saying it's not telling, or never being misgendered after a certain point into hormones, I still felt it was off. I always feel like my frame as a whole is larger than what my brain thinks is there, I Imagine it's similar to phantom limb syndrome in someways, and it could be similar to body dysmorphia, Idk how that works maybe the brain has a rough map based on the ranges of structures that exist. As for the shoulders, I knew I couldn't do anything about them, and as seeing how they were the biggest issue for me, I had to do something. So I thought if I couldn't make them smaller, I could make them look smaller compared to the surrounding area, so breast implants it was, I went from a small B which is what the hormones has done, to a large C and it made a massive amount of difference, I can honestly say that it solved that issue.

I know a lot of the discomfort comes from my bias towards what I see in the mirror, I was just use to seeing pre-hormone me so despite the high levels of changes I still pick out those features that can't change like the nose or shoulder width and then fill in the rest, still seeing my old self and feeling like nothing has changed. However as time has gone on my mind's bias is changing. So I'm starting to see the changes and feel comfortable. Right now not much bothers me, occasionally my nose does but that is about it, but that didn't start until after the shoulders, I guess I'll always find some masculine feature that'll remind me. Idk where or if it'll ever end, I doubt it, in the future I may go under the knife for facial aspects or SRS, but as of right now I can say I'm pretty content with how far I've come.

In terms of intensity variations, it's all over the place. Just like people in general, so some, simply being on hormones without social transition is enough, some people, both are enough, some, small amounts of surgery is plenty like breast implants or facial feminization, others go all the way. I've met people across the spectrum, some of the all the way people can be pretty elitist and think of others as less trans or not trans at all if they don't go all the way, I guess with all groups of people there are assholes.

I don't mind answering questions for the most part. It all depends on the situation, I can say honestly you are no where near any line, so you are fine. I just love knowing that people out there genuinely care about it, and want to learn as much as they can. As I said in my first post, I'm studying to eventually earn a PhD, from there, research and teach. I love helping others try to understand something, no matter how difficult that maybe, like this instance, getting someone to fully understand my this experience is nigh impossible given its nature.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Believe me when I say, people piss me off when it comes to societies views of transgenderism, but it's best not to let it get you down, you are already have enough on you plate. People will never be able to empathize because for them they don't realize how ingrained something like this is, most people live their lives never giving their gender identity a moments thought. When a guy hears that some other person who they take to be a guy wants to remove their genitals that think "you must be crazy." They project their own experience and assume everyone is like them.

Punishment for hate crimes against trans people should be a year on hormones, that would sure in heck make them understand. /sarcasm

As far as dealing with your personal situation, it can be very helpful to have someone who has gone through it to talk to, heck anyone that you can be open with helps. That being said as soon as I'm able to message people and you are able to, I can always provide advice or just listen.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Wow to you and SpaceFauna that means so much, I had actually been on and off visiting this site for awhile because it genuinely interests me and for the most part I had seen only open-minded people here....but when I saw this thread and read the first page I immediately made an account and had to say something. For sure being trans is something that is taking me awhile to be comfortable it's an Interesting journey to say the least (albeit a very early journey). I do go to a therapist, not a gender therapist yet, and talking to people really does help. Thank you so much you both for understanding, You'll definitely see me around this site more and other places too for that matter. It's obvious some people aren't as educated as they like to believe all it takes is an open mind and ear.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Yeah people have a hard time even remembering to be as objective as possible. It could be ego, laziness, or other aspects about the human condition but people don't like being wrong. I imagine this is what leads to the unwillingness to adapt their mind and admit they are wrong. For me, I enjoy being wrong and always question my of knowledge of things no matter how well I feel I understand things. The only people that really bug me are the ones who refuse to change their view of something in the face of hard overwhelming evidence. I'll never get angry about someones ignorant statements if they are willing to learn, it's not their fault they are ignorant.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaccceee
I feel as though if this child had a mother like me, there would be no drama. I'd let him have slightly effeminate clothes, normalish haircut, keep the nickname and whatever toys of his choosing and a dress up box. Problems should be handled with a do no harm approach.

You sound like a great mom, jaccceee. So many parents are hell bent on enforcing strict rules of gendered behavior and it is nice to see someone basically say so what. I do think parents have some obligation to help steer their children in a certain direction so they are at least aware of societal expectations but not to beat them over the head with it. Atypical behavior and cross gendered role playing and toy preferences are quite normal and a young boy wanting to be a girl so he can wear sparkly princess dresses and have tea parties not uncommon. Most often, this does turn out to just be a phase that is healthy and natural.

The situation with transgender children is much the same but there important distinctions. One of the main ones is rather than saying I want to be a girl or wishing is to say that I am a girl and this is expressed insistently, consistently and persistently over a period of years. These kids also usually exhibit a degree of sadness or depression or anxiety or become withdrawn, argumentative and obstinate. When will I turn into a girl or when my penis will fall off are commonly heard. Many mothers report finding their child with scissors or knives preparing to do surgery on themselves or hear their 5 or 6 year old wishing they could be dead or never to have been born because they aren't the girl or boy they know themselves to be and this is when things become deadly serious. Professional help is absolutely required at this point because your kid is probably transgender/

If you are interested in learning more, you can read a collection of articles at Gender Spectrum's Parenting & Family Resources

Thanks for your comments in this thread and for wanting to raise healthy and happy kids.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join