It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Won’t Let Nebraska, Oklahoma Ruin Colorado’s Marijuana High

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Supreme Court Won’t Let Nebraska, Oklahoma Ruin Colorado’s Marijuana High

The SCOTUS just shutdown Nebraska and Oklahoma's fun police attempt at ruining states legalizing marijuana. Particularly Colorado. In a big "Eff you" to those two states, the SCOTUS literally denied the claim without even a reason as to why.

The case challenged the legality of an amendment to the Colorado constitution that allowed for the substance’s manufacture and sale for recreational use, which the states said was unconstitutional because it frustrates the enforcement of federal drug laws.

In a one-line order that offered no explanation for the decision, the justices threw out the complaint by the two states, which had asked the Supreme Court to invoke its “original jurisdiction“ — a special kind of authority that allows the court to hear disputes involving two or more states directly.

Here's the text from the decision.

The motion for leave to file a bill of complaint is denied.

JUSTICE THOMAS, with whom JUSTICE ALITO joins, dissenting from the denial of motion for leave to file complaint. Federal law does not, on its face, give this Court discretion to decline to decide cases within its original jurisdiction. Yet the Court has long exercised such discretion, and does so again today in denying, without explanation, Nebraska and Oklahoma’s motion for leave to file a complaint against Colorado. I would not dispose of the complaint so hastily. Because our discretionary approach to exercising our original jurisdiction is questionable, and
because the plaintiff States have made a reasonable case that this dispute falls within our original and exclusive jurisdiction, I would grant the plaintiff States leave to file their complaint

As you can see, Justice Thomas and Justice Alito disagree and would have heard the case. To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of this. I kind of like that the case was dismissed, but on the other hand I feel like they should have heard the case. That way the court can officially knock these shenanigans that Oklahoma and Nebraska are attempting.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Nobody wants to talk to you

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Nobody wants to talk to you

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the existing thread.

Thread closed.

join