It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's interest in Cuba?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
In light of the thread about Google's reach into global politics, it makes you think about power, money, and what having a lot of both can do for you.

Look at this little nugget of news:

American companies, eager for opportunities in Cuba, were wasting no time. Obama announced that tech giant Google had struck a deal to expand Wi-Fi and broadband Internet on the island 90 miles south of Florida.

tucked away in this article:
hosted.ap.org...

So how much influence does Google have on world events? This tech company sure is big and has a huge chunk of the market in it's industry, but Google is relatively new. We have all imagined the group behind the scenes running the show, is it possible that "TPTB" is whomever has the most $ at the time?

It appears to be a conspiracy, but nobody is hiding anything. I'm not sure if that's good or bad?

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I firmly believe that money runs the show. Those with money make sure all the politicians enact laws to keep the money flowing.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer

I firmly believe that money runs the show. Those with money make sure all the politicians enact laws to keep the money flowing.

I do to, but thinking about how long the Cuba thing has been in the works and how big a deal it is, kind of amazes me that a driving factor could be Google's search for more sales and control? It's almost a bit to "in your face".

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Obligatory

"If the future of the internet is to be Google, that should be of serious concern to people all over the world—in Latin America, East and Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East, sub-Saharan Africa, the former Soviet Union, and even in Europe—for whom the internet embodies the promise of an alternative to US cultural, economic, and strategic hegemony."

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I do to, but thinking about how long the Cuba thing has been in the works and how big a deal it is, kind of amazes me that a driving factor could be Google's search for more sales and control? It's almost a bit to "in your face".

It's as plain as the nose on your face. Obama is doing Google's bidding.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

It's as plain as the nose on your face. Obama is doing Google's bidding.

Yea, but that seems too simple. I always thought the guy was supposed to be BEHIND the curtain.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Whoa, Whoa, hold up there please!
I missed the thread about Google's reach into global politics. Please post a link to that as I am very interested in following that topic!

Why am I so interested? Because I've been following:
dcinno.streetwise.co...

After following this self-driving car story and watching the testimony before Congress on CSPAN, its occurred to me that Google is setting itself up as the "one ring to rule them all". Google is inserting itself into every aspect of every persons life in one form or another. Its absolutely breathtaking! In fact, I've begun mentally modeling just how Google may actually one day replace the Government in terms of regulating everyone's lives and activities, including the political landscape.

With that last sentence in mind, its no surprise to me that Google is working hard to insert itself into Cuba......they'll basically take over where the Castro Brothers left off! Cuba presents them with the perfect test bed for full spectrum dominance of an entire country and society!

Thanks

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Google is in bed with the State Dept. and many "think tanks" that the State Department utilizes.

I don't have time to link, and quote -- but some of Google's CEO's are ex-State Dept. heads, and Assange from Wikileaks met with heads of Google along with a representative from State. There is a strong connection between Google and the State Dept.

Google, as a company and not a government entity can do/get away with things the US Gov. can't in its official capacity. Google essentially can act as a "back channel".
edit on 21-3-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Whoa, Whoa, hold up there please!
I missed the thread about Google's reach into global politics. Please post a link to that as I am very interested in following that topic!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

In the old days, a "back channel" was subservient to the controlling faction. In this case, it almost appears as if Google IS the controlling faction. That is a bit un-nerving to say the least.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Eh...

State basically send people over to Google when they're done working for the US government. Google is all about globalization, take a look into some of the think tanks it funds.

Take Google Ideas for example.

If you have the time, read this Newsweek article with Julian Assange about Google.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Cuba doesn't really have a functioning home internet service:
"Currently, roughly 5 percent of Cubans can access the Internet from home. The only way to get Internet access for most Cubans is to visit a government-run Internet location and pay $5 per hour -- prohibitively expensive for most in the island nation. Those who can afford it often wait for hours to gain access to one of the government-run sites. "

Imagine what the effect would be if the entire country were wired up with fibre-optics. The chance to find out what ordinary Cubans are thinking, help them gain knowledge and for businesses to get a online presence.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I can see the implications of this being huge for Cuba, but the way Google seems to be in all the headlines about foreign affairs lately made me take notice. And knowing how big Google has gotten in a relatively short period of time, their ability to be involved in things is a bit astonishing.

But I am still waiting for my fiber internet where I live. 20 meg is big here.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I bet it was thanks to eric schmidts cosy relationship with the white house that got google this gig. The government now can spy on cuba to their hearts content and google can make the cuban people become click bots to their ads.

join