It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive fish kill in Central Florida's intercoastal waterways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The Indian and Banana River lagoons are facing a massive fish kill as a result of a brown algae bloom. Residents are seeking state and federal aid in hopes of cleaning up the lagoon. Many local counties have banned fertilizing lawns durring the rainy(summer) season. This ban is difficult to enforce as lawn fertilizer is available at local stores. The reasoning is water run off from nutrient rich lawns aides algae blooms.

Many residents my self included believe opening an.inlet will help flush out the bad stuff and bring oxygen into the lagoon. This area of the ICW is not near an inlet so the water is mostly stagnant and currentvis wind driven. An inlet would allow daily ebbs and floods with the ocean tides.

news.brevardtimes.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod
Acid would neutralize the alkaloids that promote algae growth but again it can also kill the fish.

Catch 22.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Doesn't look good...And it's crazy that a large part of the problem is lawn fertilizers. In my neighborhood almost everyone adds fertilizer to their lawn (then bags the clippings when they mow.) I give it a layer of pete moss in the spring and let the clippings mulch into the lawn for fertilizer. I've got a greener, more lush lawn than most of my neighbors, and mine doesn't grow freakishly fast like theirs does. Who the heck wants to mow the lawn 3x/week?!

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Chuck in some bales of straw, as that'll help. Then sort out the cause by banning fetrilizer use.
edit on 21/3/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

It's a strange thing with human greed and ignorance. Many want green grass to raise their property value, however the fertilizer used can destroy the intercoastal ecosystem which will cause property values to plummet.

Lawn fertilizer is just one of the problems, though it appears to be a major contributor to the algae blooms.

Right now the waterways need some serious help, and we know we can't count on Florida's anti-science anti-environment 'leaders' for help.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Really?.

I lived in Oak Hill Florida for a decade and always wondered how it was that people were polluting the waterway with their lawn fertilizers and such a long time ago, looking for someone to blame other than themselves for the mess.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Brevard County's Sheriff's office as well as several other organizations within the county are teaming up to clean up all the dead fish. While this fish kill is tragic, it is good to see the county take matters to attempt to clean up the mess.

I'm replying via cell phone so it is difficult for me to save, upload, and embed pictures. The I'm sharing has many pictures that give a glimse of how bad this fish kill is.

news.brevardtimes.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here is another article. It's not just Central Florida that is experiencing problems.

jacquithurlowlippisch.com...

Also Alex Grayson State Rep? has deleted comments off his facebook from upset citizens asking for help.

edit on 23-3-2016 by jrod because: info

new topics

top topics

join