It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrisy of the Federal Government

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

All rolled at exactly six inches, in rows, by color.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olbe66

My man, you did not disappoint.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I see what the OP is saying. You see this type of stuff in all markets where government regulations stifle development and growth. Many times, those who don't know the ins and outs of a particular business don't see the impact of said regulations and can't connect the dots back to the government.

I can't comment on the OPs knowledge of cars as I truly don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me that government regulations on emissions could hurt fuel efficiency in other ways. I have read that the emissions standards basically make it harder to produce usable horsepower, so cars are getting more powerful to compensate and it kind of cancels out any benefit of the regulations goals of increasing MPG.

Government bureaucrats who develop these regulations across industries typically have little first hand experience in the industries they regulate. They often have these grand illusions that are counter to real world experience. I work in residential finance and if consumers really knew how much government meddling has jacked up the price / cost of their mortgages, they'd revolt.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: network dude

You're a tech guy, you should have a better understanding of what's going on here. All model years of Honda CRX HF weighed less than 2000 lbs. Some of them were less than 1800 lbs. The OP seems to think that 's all about HP and it's not. The 1.5 liter in the HF's was what? 62 HP? It also had a 0-60 of 12 seconds.

No no no, let's just compare apples and oranges and then blame emissions standards for our ignorance.

SMFH

EDIT to add:

I'm going to go ahead and guess the shape had something to do with it too. I don't happen to know the drag coefficient but I'm sure it was pretty low.

I think you missed the point. I fully understand why that car had good mileage, and if I could buy a good one today, I would. Even knowing that it wasn't very fast, or roomy. It was a cool looking little car with a 5 speed that got really good mileage. How may people bought the first hybrids only to find that they couldn't get out of their own way?

SMFH indeed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join