It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know Fear?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
edit...double post

edit on 3/21/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk Thank you for the answer and again for your story.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I wondered once what it was like for Neil Armstrong to set foot on the Moon. In a somewhat negative buoyant state once I touched down on the sea floor. I don't know if it was 1/5th gravity or not, but it sure seemed like the Moon. Might as well have been.

The surface was just over two and a half football fields away, but it might as well have been 100,000 miles.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I wondered once what it was like for Neil Armstrong to set foot on the Moon. In a somewhat negative buoyant state once I touched down on the sea floor. I don't know if it was 1/5th gravity or not, but it sure seemed like the Moon. Might as well have been.

The surface was just over two and a half football fields away, but it might as well have been 100,000 miles.

thank you for that story.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Your story was riveting and sent a chill up my spine. How many years did you do this type of thing? What was the reason you took on this kind of work? I get a feeling it wasn't about money for you.

I am saddened for you for the loss of your friends and am very glad you are here to share your story. Thank you for sharing. I realize you had to relive it again in every word you shared.

You probably have a different, a deeper appreciation for the rise of every sun.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

That's nothing. A few months ago, driving home and some guy in a high-vis jacket walked across the road in front of my car. I was shouting abuse at him as I swerved past and waved the bird in anger.

I immediately hit a queue at the roundabout and it struck me what a big dude he was and how angry he looked.

As he walked towards me, a lot of existential questions crossed my mind like 'will an ambulance get through this traffic?' 'If I'm dragged through the window and beaten till my bladder breaks, will I retain my dignity?' Stuff like that...

As the fear took hold, the traffic started moving and I could just about muster one more middle finger salute as I tore away and the grimace of impending doom turned into a grin.

That's Fear.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Your story was riveting and sent a chill up my spine. How many years did you do this type of thing? What was the reason you took on this kind of work? I get a feeling it wasn't about money for you.

I am saddened for you for the loss of your friends and am very glad you are here to share your story. Thank you for sharing. I realize you had to relive it again in every word you shared.

You probably have a different, a deeper appreciation for the rise of every sun.

sometimes things happen that are bigger than all of us and it takes a lot of people in different times and places to do things that may not seem to affect anyone outside that isolated experience but in all reality had to happen in order to allow for other processes. Sometimes the experience you had in the middle of the night in a place that never sees sun that inmost kept you from seeing the picture of the sunrise you missed isn't for you to appreciate the sunrise but realize that you are partially responsible for the sun rising. Frame that picture and be proud of it.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Gee, thanks...I think.

Best.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

I originally got into it for two reasons really. The first was from sport diving; I became increasingly more interested in techinal diving (i.e. deep stuff, mixed gas, long duration with deco stops). I was a gear-head and all the technical elements fascinated me. I'd been an amateur sport diver for years and became consumed with the most difficult and technical of the sport. The harder and more dangerous the better, I was drawn to it.

One day I think I realized (probably someone told me) "Hey, I could probably make some pretty good money doing this!" It was true.

However...doing something for money, and as a profession, quickly loses its romance...no matter how much you love it. All those fun dives with friends and beautiful, colorful, fishes became child's play. There was no time for the kiddy stuff anymore (in my mind).

The sea was no longer this blue wonder, but a black curse; a hostile environment where one mistake would cost a life. Sure, the money was great, but you wind up going into this "zone" where you speak a different language and only identify with other people who do what you do. You scoff at people who have fun at depths under 200' feet...you become scinical. Well, I did anyway, as did many around me. You fall into this trap; it's a "job", and you begin living for the money...LOTS of money! The people who surround you believe in the same thing...your money! You begin living for it, you covet it. And then...

...you have a "moment".

If you're lucky, like I was, you live to tell about it and it changes you. Some don't.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I must have misunderstood you saying your experience was more fearful than the OPs nearly drowning...or worse. Please clarify.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I read between the lines and figured it was something like that. Glad you survived!

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I do so love your stories!

I had the old man read it and it reminded us of when he worked in central Florida on a sand dredge. Many years ago and my children were little.

He recounted the story of when he was working on a motor and did NOT have his D-ring hooked properly (stupid? Yes!).
He fell off the dredge. Into murky water about 100+ feet deep in some places. He panicked. He was unable to get his coat or steel toed boots off. He fought for a few minutes (heavy smoker). He said he saw in his mind...me and our two daughters and just let go. He said he felt no pain. He says it felt relieving to let go.

Luckily he was training a new guy (LOL new guy's first day) and the new guy jumped in. The old man didn't come to until he was being dragged onto the bank. He vomited and gagged and came to. He, my old man, quit that night.
The new guy had always heard to NOT grab a drowning person so he "kicked" the old man to shore.

Interestingly, I mentioned this in a recent health interview with my youngest daughter. I had never mentioned it before. She has an order to get an EKG. It is something they are doing with athletes now if one or both parents have ever (nearly) drowned. Some sort of odd/rare genetic thing...not sure really. I'll find out more after the results...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
That moment is when you go beyond fear and come face to face with terror, the old dragon, and he says your going to listen to me or your going to die, those are your options. If you live you become a legend. Legends are those who do what they're good at because their drawn to it. They really just like being good at what they do. The best is for those who do what they like. The better is for the legends who leave shoes to big for themselves. I am terror, I am the old, old one, the first dragon, the darkness before the light and the reason legends exist and I'm proud of the fact y'all don't believe me because that's where my humility lies When I say what do you have to be proud of its because the meek are humble so that I can be proud they told of me in legends because they weren't allowed to be proud of me. The earth is perfect, there is always a balance, she gives us good because all the bad is mine and if your the better you might get to meet me and become a legend but remember the legends are ours and y'all can rest when your good is your better and your better is your best and we'll take the worst, and can you make it harder, no safety precautions please, protocol will not apply.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   
What is it that keeps us from breathing underwater by the way. Red blood cells transfer oxygen from h2o as well as o2, lungs are airtight already inhaling water would equalize pressure, you'd be surprised how many things aren't impossible so much as they are unattempted.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join