It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The curious case of Ancient Celtic mechanical looking propellers - forgotten technology?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Synopsis
Unbeknownst to many, archeologists have dug up mechanical looking marine propellers made back ancient times when such technological things should not have existed.

Some history
The first early developments of marine propellers where Archimedes about 200 AD and the Chineese in 300 CE, in the dark ages marine propellers were forgotten and then reinvented in the 18th century.

Mainstream theory
Archeologists name these discoveries "Propellers" but claim they were used as currency rather than them being actual propellers.

Pictures
Here are some briefs found online for your visual consumption. Bon apetite !...

Celtic propeller 500-200 BC Source

Celtic bronze propeller 600-200 BC Source

Celtic bronze propeller S ource

These are just a couple of example, there are many more pictures online. Could these be actual mechanical propellers - even traces of long since forgotten technology?

-MM

edit on 20-3-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Archeologists name these discoveries "Propellers" but claim they were used as currency rather than them being actual propellers.

If archaeologists say they're currency, it has to be true. Next...

Interesting discovery. I'm wondering if they were used to stir or mix. Ooparts?

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Cannot see the point of having such technology back then when it would have been easier and quicker to simple walk into a monolithic stone circle, sound a frequency and literally walk through the portal (stargate), prior to picking your destination in only a few seconds.

Thats what all the Ley Lines and triangular grid matrix were for.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well they are tiny, perhaps a facsimile of something that was bigger. That there is a twist in each blade is more than likely deliberate as a pushing force in air or water, or maybe a plaything or ornament, like the plastic windmills children play with today in the breeze.
Anyway, I see they are for sale, $150

As kids, we used to watch the Sycamore seeds spiralling down with their slightly curved fan, of course we called them helicopters, and always had to throw them up again to see them fall once more. I'm sure children have done that for millennia, and the idea utlised in some way.
edit on 20-3-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Fishing lures perhaps. It's totally possible they figured out the tri bladed shape spins when pulled through the water.
edit on 20-3-2016 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

They could be propellors, but only for tiny wee mini-boats. The ones in your pictures are about 4-6cm long (that's just a guess based off the ones I've seen before).

They were maybe triskeles, a well known motif of the Celts:

That or propellors for fairy planes, it's hard to be certain....
If you see any at a good price, make a bid - they're cute little things.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Bronze age weapons would be more like it

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Now wait a sec...

The only links are to a site that purports to be about ancient artifacts and to an Ebay site.

How do we know that these are real? What age are they supposed to be? Where were they found? What museum has similar items?

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I couldn't see them being props of any sort,they don't seem to have much pitch....or fishing lures,your line would get tangle pretty quick I would think. Could be some sort of wind chime or spurs for horse riding?

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Has anyone informed Erich Von Danaken about this find it could be the next book of his

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It's quite possible

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Haha... If only the ancient Celts had something like cracked.com, they'd have a good laugh.

www.cracked.com...

Those things are interesting though. Maybe they used them to mix things like paints and dyes.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

It is a tri head axe. Used for fighting during the bronze age. Hardwood handle and that at the end. You would not have to really aim just swing and smash it into your enemies skull, arm, leg, torso etc etc etc Didn't work well so they used them for trade

edit on 20-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher

originally posted by: Klassified

Haha... If only the ancient Celts had something like cracked.com, they'd have a good laugh.

www.cracked.com...

Those things are interesting though. Maybe they used them to mix things like paints and dyes.

Now that was funny, and probably just about right. Touche!

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The pitch is all wrong to be propellers, however, they may have been made for stirring something.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
An ancient Bronze Age artefact selling for 99p? Must be legit.

As for their purpose who knows. Does look propeller esque, but that doesn't mean it was used that way. Perhaps it just was propped up on a stick and spun round.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Probably to mix milk to make butter or curd or something. Powered by a the same bow and string they used to shoot arrows. Fire starting uses that approach in some antiquities.

See how the edges are all worn, they were mixing something that was rougher than just water is my guess. The bronze survives, the wooden shaft having long eroded away.
edit on 20-3-2016 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Depending on the size, they used to use props like that to move air through the forge. I saw a picture of one somewhere along in my surfer that was found at an ancient blacksmith site. That was the interpretation but actually, it could have been something they were making or repairing too.

It would be hard to know who's interpretation is right. I bet everyone thinks their interpretation is correct.

These appear to be very small though. the one I saw a picture of was about ten or eleven inches around.
edit on 20-3-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
The pitch is all wrong to be propellers, however, they may have been made for stirring something.

It might just have been the case as you say, but there is still the differentiation that enables thrust, much as you would paddle a boat..something that the needs be predates much of all formal technology, horses for courses you might say, and in that respect, nature beats us by God knows how long...Like the Samara seed, and heaps of trees use that method.
As for us? here's the first helicopter flight circa 1936, using a single main Rotor, it's not Sikorsky, however it flew or something like it, with a vertical assist rotor.

So nowadays, we have back to the future guys doing stuff like this, and no tail rotor

And more guys doing this,

www.newscientist.com...
Thing is, it's not just about forward thrust and speed, which is just a different dimension.

edit on 20-3-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

When stuff like this comes up, I always wonder if it's simply a matter of the culture or person originally credited with "developing" / "inventing" the technology in question getting hurt feelings...

OR is it the historians clinging desperately to their theories/refusing to be proven wrong.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join