It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the future there will be those that own the machines and those that don't

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm putting this in the global meltdown section because in my opinion these machines are being designed to replace us not aid us.

www.cnbc.com...

Humanlike robots may seem creepy, but some roboticists are betting they are the key to unlocking a future in which humans and superintelligent computers coexist, work alongside each other and even develop relationships.

Starting to get very Irobot like. Pretty soon I'm expecting Will Smoth to bust out of a fast moving car in front of me shooting lasers at zombies.

Oops that's an almagamation of different movies but not to far from the truth is it? Let's replace the zombies with poor people but keep the mix of the two plot lines. Anyway.....

So here's the clip from the link. You'll see a what could be seen as an attractive female robot talkin robotically.

I can't imagine the future of my life in the next twenty years as Googles deep mind technology is combined with this robot to complete ordinary tasks like mentioned in the article. Forget jobs in the future.

So when are we going to realize that capitalism is officially on its way out and that cultural evolution is on its way in? We must accept that the old paradigm is dead and move forward or die with it.

edit on 3/20/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Bear with my thread making ability I'm using an iPhone my laptop is down.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Well, there are already very human dolls for 'adults', cough cough... but this robot is amazingly realistic. But having a relationship with one? Nothing surprises me w/technology today. Her eyes were so life like!

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
"Okay! I will destroy humans!"
Didn't take much convincing.

BSOD that thing, while you still can.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
In the future Maybe there will be machines that own humans and machines that don't??

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
In the future Maybe there will be machines that own humans and machines that don't??

Personally I believe that the machine is the next stage of evolution.

I believe that our job is to create the next phase where the body is no longer necessary and that our animal instincts are no longer a determining factor in our actions.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
"Okay! I will destroy humans!"
Didn't take much convincing.

BSOD that thing, while you still can.

Hmmm... Well that's the programming responding not the machine.

Well see what happens when it gains sentience.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
''Personally I believe that the machine is the next stage of evolution. ''

Personally i believe your grave should be next to George Soros.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bojay
''Personally I believe that the machine is the next stage of evolution. ''

Personally i believe your grave should be next to George Soros.

Try going for a walk outside and experiencing nature some.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bojay

Being buried in the rich part of the cemetery doesn't sound that bad, how thoughtful of you of wishing him a long and fruitful life to get there

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Being buried in the rich part of the cemetery doesn't sound that bad, how thoughtful of you of wishing him a long and fruitful life to get there

Id spend my money in a less fascist manner

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I wouldn't mind getting a pyramid or mausoleum new Orleans style when my time comes, I guess as ill be dead i wouldn't mind a Styrofoam box either

Anyways, that robot really remind me of the taxi in total recall

edit on 20-3-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

me: 6 posts

you: 10.964

i think you should go out for a walk and never again come inside, so much waisted time ohh man.....and hows that transcending going for you???

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

So when are we going to realize that capitalism is officially on its way out and that cultural evolution is on its way in? We must accept that the old paradigm is dead and move forward or die with it.

I don't understand the leap here. I thought we were talking about robots and how "lifelike" they will appear in a few years. Capitalism won't be going away. It will be producing these things for a profit. Where else will sufficient "capital" be generated to produce these things?

In terms of robots replacing us, I'm sure they will on the assembly line, where they have made great strides already. They'll be able to perform most minimum wage jobs, and the faster people demand a "living wage" for menial tasks, the faster the robots will intercede. In fact, in many areas we are already there. Robots can work 24x7 with no whining. When the capital cost and maintenance cost of a robot is less than the cost of an over-paid human, they will take over those jobs. Every dollar rise in the minimum wage puts more people out of work and will cause robotics to advance faster. Where those two curves cross each other I could not say.

The real issue with that is our ability to train and school humans for jobs that are worth paying living wages to. Someone will have to be skilled enough to maintain those machines and oversee their activities. So the question becomes: Can people who now inhabit the "minimum wage sphere" be trained to take on more productive work? It's a serious question. The average IQ is 100. 50% of people are there or below 100. Is it just a matter of training and opportunity. i.e.: IQ is a culturally biased environmental issue? OR are half the people actually stupid and incapable of learning advanced skills that would be necessary in such an environment? Obviously most English Majors working at McDonalds could probably be trained, but could everyone? If the first case they will be contributors. If the second, they will be a burden to society as a whole.

In terms of robots walking among us as companions, it's just a matter of time. Put some soft plastic in strategic areas and some skillful programming and Sophia could become your willing lover, and you would like it. There's an old Star Trek episode to this effect that played in the late sixties. Of course, their conclusion was that the robots weren't really human, but my guess is a lot of people wouldn't care one way or another.

And at a certain point our debate will become, are androids deserving of citizenship? Do they dream of electric sheep? Do they have souls?

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

body is no longer necessary and that our animal instincts are no longer a determining factor in our actions.

So you would program a machine/robot to be completely humanlike and then start subtracting unwanted human characteristics - should be fun

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

me: 6 posts you: 10.964

Me: I smell a sock puppet or Troll

You: It does not compute

Me: Go away

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

body is no longer necessary and that our animal instincts are no longer a determining factor in our actions.

So you would program a machine/robot to be completely humanlike and then start subtracting unwanted human characteristics - should be fun

It's going to program itself.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: onequestion

I don't understand the leap here. I thought we were talking about robots and how "lifelike" they will appear in a few years. Capitalism won't be going away. It will be producing these things for a profit. Where else will sufficient "capital" be generated to produce these things?

How can a company "manned" by robots make a profit unless people buy the goods and services? The logical conclusion of the progression of robot technology is that the vast majority of people will no longer work so where will the demand for the products come from if they are not earning a wage? Where will the money for welfare come from if there are not enough people paying taxes ? Capitalism cannot work in these circumstances, the model has to change.

Now the model exists, it has been trailed and works but it is way way too "lefty" for many people to stomach in the US.

Any country that does not change the tax and benefits model before robots start to replace people en-mass will spiral down into social chaos whilst the original owners of the first fully robotised companies sit offshore away from the mess.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

I agree. A fully automated society is the final outcome and that's a beautiful thing. For the first time in known history, human civilization would be able to completely survive without having to "work". We need to start with automating all of our needs, and then go from there. Mining & refining, agriculture and food processing, etc. Individuals can still work towards goals, dreams, community projects, and even still have businesses and organizations. But starvation, homelessness, and the such would become a relic of the past (3D printed neighborhoods ftw).

People should be embracing this. It's ridiculous to me how many people are still stuck in the primitive, backwards mindset of "compete over crumbs then die off when you're too old to compete anymore". I simply can't imagine meeting an advanced species of extraterrestrials that require 70-90% of its members do menial labor just to survive. That wouldn't be "advanced" at all.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: yorkshirelad

I agree. A fully automated society is the final outcome and that's a beautiful thing. For the first time in known history, human civilization would be able to completely survive without having to "work". We need to start with automating all of our needs, and then go from there. Mining & refining, agriculture and food processing, etc. Individuals can still work towards goals, dreams, community projects, and even still have businesses and organizations. But starvation, homelessness, and the such would become a relic of the past (3D printed neighborhoods ftw).

People should be embracing this. It's ridiculous to me how many people are still stuck in the primitive, backwards mindset of "compete over crumbs then die off when you're too old to compete anymore". I simply can't imagine meeting an advanced species of extraterrestrials that require 70-90% of its members do menial labor just to survive. That wouldn't be "advanced" at all.

Exactly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join