It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘The Simpsons’ predicted a Trump presidency 16 years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

in an episode titled “Bart to the Future,” the show predicted a Donald Trump presidency. In the 2000 episode, Lisa becomes the nation’s first “straight female” president, while brother Bart has slacked away his life. And from the Oval Office, she says, “As you know, we’ve inherited quite a budget crunch from President Trump.”

www.washingtonpost.com...

Its not secret I am a Simpsons fan, got threads about Simpsons math and all, but the Simpsons predictions deserve a conspiracy forum of their own

But how did the series arrive at a President Trump? Greaney explains that the real-estate mogul was just the right comedic fit at the time, and notes that they needed a celebrity name that would sound slyly absurdist.

Besides, Greaney says, “He seems like a ‘Simpsons’-esque figure — he fits right in there, in an over-the-top way.

So they dint really had magic powers, they just picked the most ridiculous celebrity to be president at the time, hahaha... whoops

“I blame us — I blame the culture of comedy,” he tells Comic Riffs. Greaney posits that the movie “Animal House,” which “mocked the norms of decent behavior,” helped counterculture viewpoints launch into the American comedic mainstream, thus fostering such establishment-mocking shows as “The Simpsons.” Perhaps all this mockery, he says, somehow gave rise to an “anti-political establishment” candidate like Trump.

Another fun Simpson coincidence to the annals of history

America is broke by president trump at 2:20 on that video

edit on 20-3-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I have been watching this presidental campaign more than I have watched any other.

I have had some good laugh's. I've also been doing alot of shaking my head and saying to myself, WTH.

God help us all if Trump becomes the POTUS.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Actually no.

They sort of anti-predicted it - it was supposed to be absurd; to be something that DEFINITELY would not happen.

Still amusing though. :-)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

its possible they are in on it, if you believe in a nwo its not so absurd to think they would put hints of what their doing in shows to brag about it right in front of our face.

just a theory.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Actually no.

They sort of anti-predicted it - it was supposed to be absurd; to be something that DEFINITELY would not happen.

Still amusing though. :-)

Or, of course, President Trump invented time travel and retroactively inserted himself into an episode of The Simpsons.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

I thought it may be insider knowledge too, i don't remember who joked Bruce Jenner wanted to be a women or something like that way before it happened because some people close to him knew it, perhaps trump had the ambition for very long time and some writer knew about it?

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

The Bruce Jenner thing was Family Guy. It goes something like this:

Brian: Brody Jenner is such a douche
Stewie: Yeah, I can't believe that came out of Bruce Jenner
Brian: Bruce Jenner is a man
Stewie: No Brian, Bruce Jenner is a woman; a beautiful elegant woman.

People that give credence to the idea that this type of thing is presented due to inside information call the phenomenon "Predictive Programming" done to the end that people will be less likely to react in a negative way and more readily accept their new reality if they are spoon fed changes in a palatable manner over an extended period of time.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I always hated that show. But then again, I hate most TV shows. But yeah. The Trump "thing" was probably written by the same people who wrote the Simpsons script. Reality is a show. Or didn't you know?

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Hate to be the killjoy, but it's not a "prediction". Trump actually ran for President in 2000 with the Reform Party, winning its Michigan and California primaries. So the Simpsons were just running with that idea. (Here's more about his 2000 campaign.)

Ironically, he was proposing to put Oprah, John McCain, and Colin Powell in his Cabinet if he won the Presidency lol (according to that article). Wonder how he feels about that now.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

but still the episode aired in march and it takes 8 month to make it so so so....

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   

But the article says he dropped out in February of 2000. And knowing how political cycles are, he was probably posturing for the nomination as far back as the summer before the primaries (kind of like when the candidates declared last summer). So the times can still match up.

(Notices the frowns and glares in the room) Of course, they could've easily come up with the storyline long before any candidates declared, heh heh. Then again, it also says he almost ran as a Republican in 1988, so they could've gotten the idea from that, too. Ok, I'll show myself the door...

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

i reject your reality and substitute my own

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Did t we talk about this here?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

its always good for older posts to be brought out again because it can bring a fresh perspective to it like enlightenedservant's response and some people don't want to bump up a old thread.
edit on 20-3-2016 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Apparently The Simpsons also 'predicted' Virtual Reality and the 9/11 attacks.

No we have Oculus rift and the september eleven attacks-the latter was an astounding coincidence. After Alan Rickman died some folk even claimed that the show predicted his death.

This 'the Simpsons predicted' is just another pop culture curiosity like six degrees of Kevin Bacon was. If You want eerie predictions then read old school science Fiction. George Orwell and big brother, Arthur C. Clarke and his satellite proposal and even Michael Crichton if you are feeling adventurous.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Apparently The Simpsons also 'predicted' Virtual Reality and the 9/11 attacks.

No we have Oculus rift and the september eleven attacks-the latter was an astounding coincidence.

Nope, I agree, that does not stand up to scrutiny either.

Let me elaborate so that others, that may not have scrutinized the claim, can make up their minds

Virtual reality came way before that episode aired. It came way before the show even existed. Heck, the term was coined in the 1950's, and the data glove came out four years before The Simpsons was created.

"The 9-11 prediction" is .. well, take a look at it; all it is is a magazine ad for a nine dollar bus trip with a picture of the New York skyline. ANY picture of the New York skyline could be said to represent the number eleven, and add to that, that the number nine is by far the most shown and printed number due to the nature of 'psychological pricing' (i.e. $9.99 or $199.99) and it really is nothing noteworthy.

It had to had been shown in the context of terror, death, plane crashes or something like that to even register as a coincidence - and even then we talk about the perhap most talked about and mention, and that most American of American cities. It would be more curious of the were NO cases of something that retrospectively could be viewed as "warnings".

Also since most of the so called predictions on the show are not really predictions but rather references to things and phenomena ASSOCIATED with a later period, one can not even make the case that the 9-11 prediction appeared in a show that has a curious amount of predictions come true.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat I know, it will suck when jobs are created and everyone has to work ?

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: theboarman

i reject your reality and substitute my own

LOL Fair enough. Can't argue with that.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
And this prediction by the Simpsons came true.

Who woulda thought!

s&f

top topics

join