It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These five Cases illustrate the state of world corruption....just not the extent.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

1. Brazil

Brazil's so-called Car Wash corruption scandal, which appears on the verge of bringing down a president, centers on Petrobras, the state-run oil giant. Last March, a top Petrobras official admitted that the company was awarding contracts in exchange for bribes, some of which were diverted to political slush funds. Brazil's current president, Dilma Rousseff, was energy minister and chairwoman of Petrobras when the alleged kickbacks took place, though she has yet to be directly implicated in any wrongdoing.

Malaysia

That's not the case with Malaysia. In 2009, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak established a sovereign wealth fund called 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) to help the country attract foreign investment and boost its economy. Long story short, by 2015, 1MDB owed investors $11 billion. As investigations of the state fund got underway, it was revealed that $681 million dollars had been deposited into Najib's personal account. The prime minister copped to the money transfer, but claimed it was a "gift" from the Saudi royal family, about $620 million of which he says he has returned. Two weeks ago, the 1MDB investigation uncovered that the total routed into Najib's personal account was actually about $1 billion.

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sun Mar 20 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: shortened, fixed long quote
extra DIV

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Knowing this and so much more about the corruption in every quarter of the globe by people we are trusting to guide humanity.....don't you think its time to pull their mandate?
Got any corruption stories post them here....perhaps a large collection in one place could lead us to gestalt....

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Tip of the iceberg!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Tip of the iceberg!

My point precisely....perhaps you've got one to add?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I thought the below quote from the OP's source was rather interesting:

Who is investigating whom?

Considering the fact that the quote is coming from the MSM, I wouldn't trust a single word they say...

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
www.yahoo.com...

1. Brazil

Brazil's so-called Car Wash corruption scandal, which appears on the verge of bringing down a president, centers on Petrobras, the state-run oil giant. Last March, a top Petrobras official admitted that the company was awarding contracts in exchange for bribes, some of which were diverted to political slush funds. Brazil's current president, Dilma Rousseff, was energy minister and chairwoman of Petrobras when the alleged kickbacks took place, though she has yet to be directly implicated in any wrongdoing.

Malaysia

That's not the case with Malaysia. In 2009, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak established a sovereign wealth fund called 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) to help the country attract foreign investment and boost its economy. Long story short, by 2015, 1MDB owed investors $11 billion. As investigations of the state fund got underway, it was revealed that $681 million dollars had been deposited into Najib's personal account. The prime minister copped to the money transfer, but claimed it was a "gift" from the Saudi royal family, about $620 million of which he says he has returned. Two weeks ago, the 1MDB investigation uncovered that the total routed into Najib's personal account was actually about $1 billion.

3. South Africa

Half a world away, South Africa tells much the same story. Like Najib, South African president Jacob Zuma has been dogged by corruption allegations for years. Most recently, Zuma has been accused of improperly using taxpayer money for "security upgrades" to his personal residence. These include construction of an amphitheater, a swimming pool, and a chicken run--because you can never be too careful. As of this writing, a South African court is hearing a case to reinstate 783--the actual number--corruption charges against him, which include pocketing kickbacks associated with arms deals. But like Najib, Zuma's power comes from effective control of his political party rather than directly from the people--just 36 percent of South Africans approve of Zuma's job performance in 2016, down from 64 percent in 2011. Don't expect South Africa's anti-corruption push to amount to much because this is a country where investigators are empowered to bring damaging allegations to light, but not to enforce their judgments. Zuma will probably survive through the end of his term in 2019.

4. China

In China, it's the leader who runs the investigations. President Xi Jinping has presided over a far-reaching anti-corruption campaign, with a particular emphasis on curbing wasteful government spending. Over the last three years, punishments have been handed down to 750,000--also the actual number--party members. Corruption inspection teams have more than doubled their staff in recent years, and have gotten a boost from the Chinese people--since 2013, corruption inspectors have received more than 270,000 tips from the Chinese public. Beijing even launched a WeChat account in January to make reporting graft easier

Russia

The Kremlin has Russia's corruption problem fully under control. At least that's what the 90 percent of Russians who get their news from state-dominated media have been told. Vladimir Putin currently has an approval rating of 83 percent, so the message seems to be getting through. But non-Kremlin sources tell another story. On a scale of 1 to 7 where 7 is "most corrupt", Freedom House ranks Russia a 6.75. This is a country where corruption investigations are tools used by one political/business faction to cut into another's market share.

Paul Craig roberts has an article on his site somewhere that describes how the confessions of an economic hit man and what and how they do what they do, are being applied to not so third world countries and are in fact now being applied to western countries.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Japan has the third (or fourth, depending on the source) largest GDP in the world. Half to the Japanese economy is either directly or indirectly controlled by the Yakuza. But at least the Japanese people are well aware of the corruption in their government. They consider it part of the cost of doing business.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch

originally posted by: queenofswords
Tip of the iceberg!

My point precisely....perhaps you've got one to add?

I've got one. I started a PhD in 2002. After publishing my third paper in 2004, certain individuals at Glasgow University decided that such a high-profile project would be better given to an international student. I was told to hand all my work over to another person. I refused, and the dragged my thesis out for four further years and blocked me from publishing papers in that field. They attempted to railroad me out of science research and into social sciences instead. Between 2004 and 2009 when I finally graduated, for five years I didn't know when my course was going to end. Took me another two years to recover and find a full-time job.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Embezzlement....has been climbing to almost epidemic proportions around the country. Several small towns around my area (including my own ) have experienced embezzlement by their town clerks. It seems that people on all levels cannot be trusted.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The Rothschilds to are being investigated for corruption....

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
i believe lack of accountability for white collar crime is a top tier issue this world faces..i work in the legal field but thats not necessary to understand the corruption that exists..as a blue collar type at heart its maddening existing within both the bounds of the justice system and society as a whole..without proper liability for ones actions the actions will stay the same..without doubt the justice system will not present an adequate remedy to corruption while we walk this earth, which leaves social remedy..but the means of justice provided by this society are wholly inadequate for the offenses committed..thus we persist or take it to the streets

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Everyone should be required to wear a body cam at all times.....when in public trust...

new topics

top topics

join