It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So...Corned Beef & Cabbage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Busy as we are, we didn't have time to do Corned beef and cabbage on St. Patty's day (sad, I know). BUT...the upside is we didn't forget about the moment....

We raise beef cattle, and we had a few briskets and top rounds in the locker. So about two weeks ago (well, 12 days actually) I had "corned" (cured) a couple nice pieces of beef from one of our recent steers. Today, they were ready to go. "Right off the hoof, into the locker and into the pot" as I like to think of it. This was a little bit older steer so I didn't have any regrets about pickling some of the cuts off him.

Decided to use the pressure cooker tonight. Pulled the cuts from the brine and cooked the beef. Wow! Smells incredible.

Absolutely FANTASTIC!!. Normally a corned beef would take 5-6 hours to cook fully, not this one. This one was done in 90 minutes, with the cabbage, carrots and veggies taking the last 10. Absolutely withering food, just off the charts!

We seldom use the pressure cooker. In fact, this is the first time we've used it to "cook" food; normally we just use it for canning. Now I can't wait to figure out what other foods will blow the charts up (delicious) in the pressure cooker!!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Normally, carp are very bony fish which is why most people don't bother with them, but my dad says that if you pressure cook them, they taste really good and the bones get a texture like they have in a can of salmon. He said they had some in one of his classes in college.

So if you ever go fishing and catch a carp, you shouldn't have to throw it back or throw it out with a pressure cooker.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My Sister makes it every year for Saint Patrick's day. She too, wasn't able to make it for that day, but I know she will be soon and I'll be getting some. YUM!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That recipe is enlightening. I've always chucked carp. Illegal to release them back into the water around where I reside. In some places they have special bins.

Trouble is, when you fillet them there's a muddy residue in the meat along with an "off" smell, hence I chuck em onto the bank and wait for a perch. Catch about 10 carp to every 1 perch. Kids enjoy catching them though.

Kind regards,

Bally.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Sounds yummy. I didn't get to making corned beef and cabbage this year... kind of sad

What breed cattle do you raise?

edit on 20-3-2016 by charolais because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: charolais

Galloway

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Galloway

Very cool. My neighbor has a herd of BG.

You can probably guess what I raise...

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

That's actually what we raise, BG's.

edit on 3/21/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join