It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anyone else love going to goodwill?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
i love making the rounds to goodwill. we get a lot of stuff there.
killer deals on clothes and books especially. we get a lot of books there. today was 90% off lowest ticketed price on all books so we walked out with a lot. also a good day for home decor.
walked out with these gems for just a few bucks

anyone else loving goodwill?

ive snatched some nice stuff from there over time. got a new jack lelane juicer once. wife got some neat new doc martins.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I love giving more these days than shopping there. In the late 80's, that was the only place I shopped.... they had incredible deals on Miami Vice attire

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
50.00 and a free day equals new wardrobe between Goodwill, American counsel for the Blind thrift store, salvation army thrift store, and the Disabled American Veterans thrift store.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I've found some good books there. The one here sucks. The selection is so poor. It's mostly religious stuff.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

I love giving more these days than shopping there. In the late 80's, that was the only place I shopped.... they had incredible deals on Miami Vice attire

i dont give cash but over the years we have donated a lot of clothes. huge bags full.
i always recommend people check out their local goodwill when it comes to clothes shopping. they have good stuff.
salvation army # is kind of ragged. stains and holes and such but goodwill is always in great shape. at least as fat as their clothes go.
on numerous occasions we have bought stuff that still had the tags on.
every thing in the store has a color code and each day a certain color will be half off.
we go a couple times a week.
it works out real well for our daughter. she is 3 1/2 so she goes through stuff fast either by growth or spilling or dropping food. good ole toddler stains. of course she plays outside a lot so clothes get grass stained up and i just dont see the point of paying the prices for stuff off the retail shelves when it does not last too long.
im not big on spending money on clothes though. i know you get what you pay for quality wise but i am the type of guy that does not like to spend more than 10 bucks on a new pair of jeans. my wife is the same way.
neither one of us care about name brands but it is nice when you can score the name brand at goodwill cause you know youre getting the quality stuff for a good price.
recently we got my daughter 7 pair of tommy girl jeans, all new with the tags on for like 8 bucks with tax.

i love looking at the 'junk' as we call it. all the knick knack, home decor, kitchen stuff.
i always walk out with strange things.
i got a pretty good collection of theater masks from goodwill.
i like the jars with peppers or fruits or garlic that are sealed up as decoration. i have a nice collection of those i get for really cheap. those things are expensive in the stores.

these things

i.ebayimg.com...=/z/79kAAOSwDNdVocg5/$_1.JPG

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...
edit on 19-3-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sometimes I stop by Goodwill or Value Village to see what old school Nintendo games they got. If you go to an actual hobby shop they charge like $20-$30 a pop, just ridiculous, while you can get the same games for like $5 at a Goodwill.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
We don't have a Goodwill,but we have many similar places all non profit groups. Iam the thrift queen in my family. Yesterday stopped at a new place which operates out of a church hall and scored dvds for 50 cents and clothing and shoes all a dollar or less! Next week is the biggie for me,two stores having fill a bag sales (garbage bag) . One store charges $10 a bag, the other $5. I buy things for myself,my kids,my grandkids,and quality items that I take to the local flea market for profit. Buy low and sell high doesn't just work for stocks.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Nothing beats finding the perfect warm sweater cardigan for under five bucks.

I shop Goodwill and Thrift Resale almost exclusively.
Modern fashion just doesn't work towards my happiness.

Plus, Nostalgia and Oddities.
Always a wonderful find.

edit on 3/19/16 by GENERAL EYES because: spellin' 'n' grammar

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I agree, aside from vintage finds and records, I try to stay away from thrift stores. I'm extremely frugal, and the thought of buying other people's junk goes against my financial plan. If I'm going to purchase something, im going to put the research in and make sure it's a quality good that will last.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

In the UK we call them Charity shops.
I've pretty much lived out of them for about thirty odd years. Everything from clothes, books, DVDs, music and bits and bobs of novelty, random junk (art?), to pile into my collection.

I don't work at the moment so when I have a good day, and feel up to it, I'll do the rounds and scoop up all the interesting things I can find. Town is only a bus ride away and there are about a dozen charities with shops there so it counts as a day out for me.
Its highly addictive and I've reached a point where I will not pay full price for anything anymore.

You wouldn't believe the library I've managed to collect over the years. I would've had to be a millionaire if I'd bought all my things brand new at retail price. Also, I'm ashamed to say, at one time I had twenty one pairs of jeans in my wardrobe. Not one of them cost more than £4 and half of them were brand new, still with tags on!!!
I gave most of them away. I know a lot of tall thin blokes.
Every now and then I have a clear out and send some stuff back to charities to re-sell. In fact, there are three hundred CDs bagged up and waiting for my friend with a car to call round.

That gives you the idea.
Cheers.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I like Vinnie's better myself. But the goodwill here does have lots of good stuff. There is a good thrift store owned by the theater here in the town too, they get some good stuff. My wife donated a bunch of dishes to the theater thrift store and my daughter went there and bought them so she would have some that matched ours. We laughed about that.

Summers just around the corner, rummage and garage sales are great places to shop.

I hate clowns, that clown would be a target at the gun club.
edit on 19-3-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Over the years, I've made some rather good purchases at thrift stores. I bought a brand new heavy winter coat for just over 6 bucks. Of course it was in the middle of July at the time
I've also picked up a few pair of practically brand new cargo shorts in the middle of December for next to nothing.

Off season shopping is sorta my thing. Better deals that way. While everyone is killing themselves and fighting over the in season attire I browse the less crowded sections for the coming season.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
In my area Goodwill is more expensive than some retail. Try to by some drinking glasses at Goodwill and Target is less expensive. I don't know what;s wrong with these guys, but their best deals aren't.
edit on 3/19/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I live going there!!! Lots of good finds!! Vintage Tees. I collect beer steins..usually lots. Often they miss some solid silver items..have to look a long time, but I have turned a $5 Goodwill purchase into $150.

edit on 19-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
We don't have a Goodwill,but we have many similar places all non profit groups. Iam the thrift queen in my family. Yesterday stopped at a new place which operates out of a church hall and scored dvds for 50 cents and clothing and shoes all a dollar or less! Next week is the biggie for me,two stores having fill a bag sales (garbage bag) . One store charges $10 a bag, the other $5. I buy things for myself,my kids,my grandkids,and quality items that I take to the local flea market for profit. Buy low and sell high doesn't just work for stocks.

Yes! One Goodwill me has an 'overflow warehouse'. Things they have not gotten time to get to or send out. You can fill a big box for $2.

I picked up a pair of these in a $2 'fill your own box'.

edit on 19-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Nothing makes me prouder as a father than when my daughter comes home with her 'new' name brand sweater that she got for $2 at Goodwill. What a great organization for both the people that work there and those that shop there.

I also feel great about donating quality stuff that I don't need anymore rather than throwing it our or wasting my time on Craigslist or eBay.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

St. Vincent de Paul is another really good organization that does good work and helps people. I know we have gotten deals there that would rival any thrift store.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I bought my favorite book for $2.00 at goodwill. I like goodwill!

*i groke someone has read this book*
edit on 19-3-2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I despise it. Other than Costco and the grocery store, I do most of my shopping on Amazon, because regular stores take too long. I can't imagine browsing at a store like Goodwill hoping to find something I need being much more fun for me than rolling around in fire ants.

I totally see the value in it for people who enjoy shopping, or can't afford things they need unless they find them second hand, or any other reason someone might like it, but the whole idea is pretty much designed to fit my personality profile opposite perfectly.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

If I HAD children, there would be NO doubt that would be policy .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join