It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lufthansa A-380 Has a Near-Miss With a Drone on LAX Approach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm surprised we don't read about these kinds of stories more frequently with the number of drones being piloted through the skies. The flight was on approach when the incident occurred:

A Lufthansa flight on approach to Los Angeles International Airport nearly hit a drone while flying at about 5,000 feet Friday, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. The pilot of the A380-800 spotted the drone flying approximately 200 feet above the aircraft, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said in a statement. The FAA immediately alerted the LAPD's Air Support Division. An investigation was immediately launched by aviation authorities, who are now searching the air 14 miles east of the airport. Lufthansa Flight 456 landed at LAX Runway 24 around 1:30 p.m. without further incident

The bigger question was: what was a drone doing that high when the FAA restricts them to a 400 foot ceiling? It will be interesting to discover the details, and hope this isn't a reoccurring theme that will someday end with people dying as a result.
abc7.com...
edit on 0312016062016-03-18T18:45:06-05:0020165pm060645 by Boscowashisnamo because: none given.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Good find. It's true that the drones can be very dangerous and they're going to have to require people to get a license and provide their portable devices with an air picture. This was not cool.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Keep pulling idiotic pranks like this you assh*les and watch your expensive toys be banned. And rightly so.

the world is just full of morons. Even if you are convinced that a little drone cant harm an A380 (and you are probably right), that plane has 800 people on board....why would you risk it?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Amazon Prime delivery wants to use drones to deliver same day orders. They want to set up centers near large cities. So if you place your order for same day delivery and the center stocks your item, it gets packed in a box, the drone gets the GPS location programmed in. It flys to your front door drops the box and leaves. Too bad it can't ring the doorbell. LOL. So this could really mess with flying. Here is a photo.

*I wish I had a horn? I could drop and honk!
edit on 3 19 2016 by Quantum12 because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

a drone that made a plane crash how big was the drone

new topics

top topics

join