It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

TV & Movie Adaptations from ‘Real UFO Cases’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:24 PM
A number of famous UFO case have been adapted and dramatized for TV shows and movies down the years. Some good, and some,not so good.

Please feel free to add any of your own, and your opinions of them. Hopefully we can get a discussion going of which are the best and probably worst ones out there. We might also find one or two we've never heard of.

Here’s a few to get started.

Let's start with the mother of all UFO conspiracy stories -

Roswell : (aka Roswell The UFO cover-up)

Starring Kyle Maclachlan fresh from Twin Peaks as Major Jesse Marcel , Dwight Yoakam as the rancher Mac Brazel and Martin Sheen as a mysterious character in little more than a cameo role.

It is based largely around the book “UFO Crash at Roswell” by Kevin Randle and Don Schmitt and covers all the Roswell lore. From the supposed UFO crash on the Foster Ranch, the discovery of alien bodies, and of course the memory metal shown to Jesse Marcel Jr.

We are also treated to the reason why James Forrestal (then’ US Secretary of Defense’) had a nervous breakdown. The scenes involving organising and implementing the ‘alien’ cover-up are most fascinating.

Some of the fabricated dramatization is based around a re-union of the 509th Bomber group in the late 1970s. This is used as a vehicle to tell the story from Jesse Marcel’s point of view and get to the truth of what happened 30 years previously in the New Mexico desert. Flashbacks to 1947 are then used to give us the story of what ‘may’ have occurred in Roswell.

I haven’t watched this for a while but it’s one of the better UFO adaptations I’ve seen and along with the reconstruction shown on “Unsolved Mysteries” is probably the most entertaining Roswell 'made for TV movie' out there.

Fire in the Sky

Another 1990s movie. This time it takes the 1975 Travis Walton close encounter story and presents it at as both a police investigation and a UFO abuction tale. D.B Sweeney plays the role of Travis Walton and Terminator 2 and X-Files star Robert Patrick plays Mike Rogers. James Garner is the detective convinced the crew are lying to him about a spaceship beaming Walton aboard.

Probably one of the best dramatizations of a UFO story I’ve seen. It concentrates on the people involved and weaves in a murder mystery with the events surrounding Walton’s disappearance. Even people who have no interest in UFOs would find this an intriguing watch.

The UFO Incident

This is a 1975 TV movie of the alleged alien abduction of Betty & Barney Hill in 1961. Adapted from John G. Fuller's 1966 book "The Interrupted Journey" it stars James Earl Jones and Estelle Parsons as the Hills.

However it’s a long time since I saw this back in the 1970s and I was very young back then. So I will have to watch it all over again.
It doesn’t seem to be available on DVD. But hey, guess what I found on Youtube? Whilst it lasts!

Based on Whitley Strieber’s book of the same name. Starring the always slightly creepy Christopher Walken as the author. Which makes the aliens only slightly more disturbing!

Strieber takes a trip to his holiday home in a forest with family and friends. There some weird events occur involving strange creatures. Streiber then struggles for an explanation and worries about his sanity.

Not a film I cared for much back in the day and I am not tempted to try viewing it again. Others may beg to differ.

The Rendlesham UFO Incident

This is a recent straight to DVD release that I’ve not seen yet. Although I think it’s only vaguely related to the 1980 Rendlesham Incident.
It’s based around a sort of ‘Blair Witch’ , shaky camera, found footage premise (which is a bit of a tired format now in my opinion).

Anyway the plot seems to revolve around a small group with a camera and metal detectors who visit Rendlesham Forest. They search for for old treasure and aliens. Their car is stolen and then, stuck in the Suffolk woods, some strange things start to happen.

The Phoenix Incident

Another found footage faux documentary style drama based loosely around the Phoenix Lights of 1997. Again not seen this one. But it’s got both good and bad reviews......

Please add your own comments on these or anything else out there based on real UFO incidents?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:31 PM
What, no mention of the classic 1977 "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"? It's been said it was based on Project Serpo.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 06:30 AM
a reply to: mirageman

The Disappearance of Flight 412.

Glenn Ford stars as an American Air Force Colonel Pete Moore, investigating the mysterious disappearance of two jets while pursuing a reported UFO,in a made for television movie.
All eyes are on Flight 412 as it sets off to test a new radar system. At first the mission goes well as Capt. Roy Bishop (David Soul) and his crew start their hazardous journey. However when three unidentified blips appear on the screen, two Marine interceptors take off to follow them, and soon disappear. It is the start of a strange chain of events, which results in an unknown agency taking command of Flight 412.

Despite being given orders from the top to ignore the incident, Col. Moore is determined to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Edited down from DVD box. Also stars Bradford Dillman and Dean Stockwell.

Not a fantastic movie but I think its a classic. Not much UFO "action" but the cover up of events is the interesting part.

The Rendlesham Forest Incident was not my cup of tea. One of the guys doing the "found" filming tells his friends the original story as they go. Other than that, its just annoying twenty somethings getting lost and arguing over the girl...or something... 3 out of 10 for at least talking about RFI.

Communion is OK if you are on heavy medication and I am very proud to say I have never seen ET.

edit on 19-3-2016 by Tulpa because: there'll be more

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:05 AM

tv show 'Project UFO' (aka Project Blue Book)

**In the style of Jack Webb (Executive Producer), stories were taken from the USAF's "Project Bluebook" files and dramatized. The producer of the program, Col. William T. Coleman, USAF (Ret.) was the former head of "Project Bluebook". **

edit on 19-3-2016 by ElGoobero because: add info

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:22 AM
a reply to: Shadoefax

I always thought Close Encounters was probably the influence for the "Serpo" story. Serpo being a hoax created after the movie had been released.

Close Encounters isn't based on any one particular 'real life' UFO story but does combine a number of different UFO reports to come up with an original story.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:29 AM
a reply to: Tulpa

Thanks never heard of it before.

The Disappearance of Flight 412. is also currently on Youtube.

That starts with the Catalina Island 1966 UFO footage. (Although they seemed to have reversed it in the movie).

It was later proven to be a light aircraft flying across the sky on Arthur C. Clarke's TV show - Mysterious World when the film was enhanced and analysed.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:33 AM
a reply to: ElGoobero

Yes good call.

I have heard of this but don't think it was ever shown on mainstream TV over here in the UK.

That's also available at the moment on the tube as well. See link below.

Project UFO

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:52 AM

The Aurora Encounter

"On April 17, 1897 when, according to locals, a UFO crashed on a farm near Aurora, Texas.[1] The incident (similar to the more famous Roswell UFO incident 50 years later) is claimed to have resulted in a fatality from the crash and the alleged alien body is to have been buried in an unmarked grave at the local cemetery."

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:01 AM
Funny thing is... there has never been a movie that involves anything resembling Astr0's narrative.

Is it a coincidence that movies hardly ever mention/depict the world of BSAP's? I honestly dunno.....

Maybe it hits too close to home!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:22 AM
Dark Skies - Series(unfinished)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:00 PM
Night Skies.

Another Phoenix lights "inspired " horror movie. (I haven't seen it)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 01:15 PM
I'm on my phone right now so no long summary and pictures but I've got one to add.

The fourth kind.

Based on tales of abductions and sightings by UFOs in Nome, Alaska.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:33 PM
a reply to: Aarsvin

I quite liked The Fourth Kind although it didn't really live up to expectations (do any of them?), it did include lots of elements from many different abduction accounts.
The owl thing was quite spooky.

I've seen two films that were both just called Alien Abduction and both very very bad. Typical found footage movies full of low budget cliches and bad acting. Avoid anything with that title if I you don't want to regret wasting an hour and a half.

Talking of found footage and slightly off "theme" but I really enjoyed The Dyatlov Pass Incident. Its mostly a pretty typical teen movie where a group try to document the final journey of another, now infamous, group.
If you can stand the first part, it suddenly changes tack and without spoiling it, ends up with a mystery within a mystery involving the Philadelphia experiment and all sorts of crazy, mindwarp type fun.
Don't shoot me if you didn't like it but movies based on true stories are very rarely realistic so if you're going to wander from the script, you may as well wander a few miles.
I've watched it a few times and that says a lot. I get a bit OCD about collecting stuff and a lot of DVDs just get stored after I've watched them once. Give it a chance if you want to turn off your brain and enjoy some oddness.
edit on 19-3-2016 by Tulpa because: I can

edit on 19-3-2016 by Tulpa because: I still can

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:43 PM
Intruders based on the early abduction research

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:20 PM

originally posted by: combatmaster
Funny thing is... there has never been a movie that involves anything resembling Astr0's narrative.

Is it a coincidence that movies hardly ever mention/depict the world of BSAP's? I honestly dunno.....

Maybe it hits too close to home!

Probably because no one in TV and movie land has ever heard of it. I never paid much attention to it myself.

And what exactly is BSAP?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:27 PM
Totally forgot this 2006 Brit-Com

Alien Autopsy

The story of how Ray Santilli, "recreated" Roswell alien autopsy footage and sold it to the world. It's actually a great fun film.

You can actually watch the whole movie in speed up form here : Link

There is also the Fox TV version which was made on the back of Santilli's "recreation".

Alien Autopsy: Fact or Fiction?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:28 PM

Apparently "Close Encounters of The Third Kind" was pretty close to the mark.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:22 PM

Black Special Access Programs.
The ones that 'dont exist'!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:27 PM
a reply to: combatmaster

Of course

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:06 PM

I wasn't going to mention Ant n Dec but they had to show up sooner or later.
That film was actually quite funny and something gives me a feeling that it is closer to the real story than any of the others!
It has to be said that I was convinced I was going to hate it. It surprised me a lot and could've been much much worse.

I had to go and check in a dark, dusty old wing of the castle and under the cobwebs there is still a vhs copy of Roswell.

edit on 19-3-2016 by Tulpa because: the thumb thing

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>