It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Anti-PC war has got to stop

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The politically correct and those who like to insult others use a common technique, namely, name-calling, which is arguably the most child-like behaviour imaginable in conversation. They are curious bed-fellows who are not much different than each other, and should be kept at length with a ten-foot pole.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

When we were little kids we were taught ....sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.

You put it very eloquently.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: 123143

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: 123143

I understand, as some here don't, that it's FREE SPEECH

Free speech DOESN'T PROTECT YOU FROM ANYTHING BUT THE STATE!
Show me in the first where it says that you can say what ever you want and another person can't call you an asshole for saying it?

I'd prefer it if you called me a retard.

Lol. Probably not on topic completely, I know, but I had a laugh. You brought back a childhood memory for me. I called my brother retard all the time, but would beat up anyone else who called him that! The difference in my mind as a child was I said it from a kooky sister love and others were just being insulting! One of those aha moments...aye?

Good memories. When I was a kid we called everybody everything and no one took it personally.

Times were much simpler and far more enjoyable.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I said to my sister once... Conservatives are actually retarded and retarding the world. My point being that the definition of retard is to delay or hold back progress.

She's a school teacher and has mentally challenged kids in her class and she says, "you shouldn't say that word" and she explained why.

My first response "Well, that's retarded, I say what I want and blah blah" because really I was just mad inside for having to admit I was wrong about something. But afterwards, I learned. So I try not to use that word anymore.

edit on 18-3-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

You may call me retard at any time you like. Most of the time I am a retard.

I don't think so much of myself that I will deny it or be offended by it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I appreciate what you're saying but I disagree. While the circumstances may be much narrower than many people would like to believe, there are scenarios where words can cause harm. Defamation causes harm. Purposefully causing unnecessary alarm can cause harm. Inciting others to violence causes harm. Harassment causes harm. Verbal abuse can cause harm (if you doubt this, a very clear example would be a parent verbally abusing a child).
edit on 2016-3-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I appreciate that because I have a love of the word retard and I don't want to hurt any actual mentally challenged kids feelings. I'm just talking about conservatives.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

I appreciate that because I have a love of the word retard and I don't want to hurt any actual mentally challenged kids feelings. I'm just talking about conservatives.

Well, I'm hard right, so you're right on target.

ETA, I don't believe in PC. It's taken all the fun out of life.
edit on 3/18/16 by 123143 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

You're funny... that made me smile. See I should not use that word. Peace and love, peace and love

I don't believe in PC either.... but I do believe in respecting people's feelings. I respect that labels go through upgrades... If my mom says negro or my dad says oriental... they didn't get the update, so I update them. Sometimes I don't get the update, and someone updates me. It's fine.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

While I appreciate what you're saying, I disagree. While the circumstances may be much narrower than many people would like to believe, there are scenarios where words can cause harm. Defamation causes harm. Purposefully causing unnecessary alarm can cause harm. Inciting others to violence causes harm. Harassment causes harm. Verbal abuse can cause harm (if you doubt this, a very clear example would be a parent verbally abusing a child).

Of course you can disagree, but there is no causal connection between words and the so-called harm you mentioned. Defamation doesn't necessarily cause harm. Harassment doesn't necessarily cause harm. People don't necessarily stampede when they hear a false alarm. Jokes don't necessarily make people laugh. It is the thoughts, which are wholly in the realm of the one who thinks them, that cause any following consequences.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

You're funny... that made me smile. See I should not use that word. Peace and love, peace and love

I don't believe in PC either.... but I do believe in respecting people's feelings. I respect that labels go through upgrades... If my mom says negro or my dad says oriental... they didn't get the update, so I update them. Sometimes I don't get the update, and someone updates me. It's fine.

I could update my mother until I'm blue in the face, but she doesn't write to the hard drive.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

So basically the OP is saying that an action caused the PC reaction, but people aren't allowed to react to the PC reaction? Am I reading that correctly?

Feel free to be offended by whatever YOU want and I will be offended by what offends you? Fair enough?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Haha - Oh yeah, people we love aren't always updateable, it's good to be backwards compatible

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Haha - Oh yeah, people we love aren't always updateable, it's good to be backwards compatible

Mother has dementia and lives in assisted living. There are 40 people there and none of them have filters.

It is non-stop hilarity.

The PC police would go bonkers.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
In the words of the late, great Rodney King , can't we just all get along"?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I just hit 30. I've decided to go back to school, take out more loans and make less money doing something I care about(working with animals) rather then what I had gone to school for(electrical engineering). So I'm no "greedy republican". The PC # is garbage. I voted Obama, I believed in the hope and change BS because we all really want change, same reason people now like Trump or Sanders. The political correct # is garbage because it boils down to a safe space for zombies who all believe in one thing, hive mind type stuff. Anyone who disagrees with any of the group thought the last 7 years has been made to feel like a villain

I wanted to get a Hillary for prison bumper sticker cause I thought it was funny and true. I'm also a Trump supporter because I hate the system and nobody milking it for a living can fix it. I see Bernie Sanders and Hillary stickers every day at school, with no reaction because it's whatever. I wouldn't consider putting a Trump sticker on my car and haven't seen one, because I figure I'd come back to my car looking like the car I'd see on blocks burning on my way to Yankee stadium as a kid. the PC thing is an attack on the first amendment.

Honestly, what you're talking about is a lot of the reason I now hate myself for voting Obama. He made race relations worse. I'm now afraid to open my mouth on race things. Not because I don't have an opinion, or I'm a racist. It's because you can't say a #ing word that deviates from the progressive mean without being "wrong". People that where racist are now going to be more racist. People like me who wants to see justice in many of these police shootings or other issues is now numb, because none of it is about right, wrong, or justice. It's a #ing agenda shoved down my throat every day.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

That's tough. Yeah, that's way outside PC Police jurisdiction. That's the free zone.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

That's tough. Yeah, that's way outside PC Police jurisdiction. That's the free zone.

I love hanging out there. Reminds me of my childhood. Nothing was off-limits at the dinner table and PC was frowned upon.

If you didn't speak your mind you were considered a chickens**t.

THAT is the America I love, miss, and adore.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

I love hanging out there. Reminds me of my childhood. Nothing was off-limits at the dinner table and PC was frowned upon.

If you didn't speak your mind you were considered a chickens**t.

THAT is the America I love, miss, and adore.

I agree and I think the good thing is, that will always exist among friends and certain family. People you can just speak your mind to, unfiltered, without judgment. I just think when the talk is open to hundreds or thousands or lots of diversities, we have to imagine how they are receiving it.

Some people get super sensitive. I know I can be super insensitive without even realizing it and hurt a friend's feelings. In that sense, the PC-ish culture I think helps people be more compatible across diversities. But I think remaining backward compatible is important too and not get all PC police on someone for no reason.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
How boring would this reality be if everyone thought the same or if all people were similar? It would be boring, boring, boring.

I try to make it a point and open my mind when someone says something I disagree with. If you can't approach a situation with an open mind, I wonder how sturdy your beliefs are? When someone says something you disagree with, do you try to see it from their point of view or just shut down the conversation. I bet there is a pattern between an insecure person and their willingness to silence others.

I am very thankful there are people out there that are different than me. Even when they piss me off I realize that I can only control myself. I then try to figure out why it pisses me off instead of just labeling the person and shutting off my brain.

Everyone the same. Everyone with the same views and beliefs. Everyone with the same morals. That kind of sounds like one of the most uninteresting places that could exist.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join