It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi Senate committee passes guns in church bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well, at my church, there are a dozen or more of us that carry. I have said for a long time, places of worship will be the next targets for mass shootings. People think that just because they are in the house of the Lord, they will be protected.

Places of worship typically have so many soft targets; I don't know of many who practice drills - Several of us actually patrol our building frequently during worship, and the congregation is thankful that we are there.

This may spark a nationwide attraction, OR probably a debate for those against weapons; eithor way, good for Mississippi!!!

JACKSON, Mississippi — A Mississippi Senate committee passed a bill Thursday that would allow guns in churches.

Places of worship would be allowed to designate people with concealed carry permits as security personnel under House Bill 786. The bill also would make "reasonably" acting within that capacity a legal defense against criminal charges if they hurt or kill someone.

Each member would be required to have a concealed carry permit and go through firearms training by someone with a law enforcement or military background before getting that legal protection.

Church Bill

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Here in Maine, we've got one of those older-than-dirt laws where if you go to church (I assume everyone did when this was written...) And you're over 18 years of age, and I think it specified male, you're REQUIRED to carry a shotgun to church.

You know, in case of indian attacks.

I'll see if I can dig up a source.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

This is a good step forward. Places of worship are by their very nature targets of extremists and generally regarded as soft targets. It is good to see that Mississippi people are more progressive than many of the other states.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
Well, at my church, there are a dozen or more of us that carry. I have said for a long time, places of worship will be the next targets for mass shootings. People think that just because they are in the house of the Lord, they will be protected.

Places of worship typically have so many soft targets; I don't know of many who practice drills - Several of us actually patrol our building frequently during worship, and the congregation is thankful that we are there.

This may spark a nationwide attraction, OR probably a debate for those against weapons; eithor way, good for Mississippi!!!

JACKSON, Mississippi — A Mississippi Senate committee passed a bill Thursday that would allow guns in churches.

Places of worship would be allowed to designate people with concealed carry permits as security personnel under House Bill 786. The bill also would make "reasonably" acting within that capacity a legal defense against criminal charges if they hurt or kill someone.

Each member would be required to have a concealed carry permit and go through firearms training by someone with a law enforcement or military background before getting that legal protection.

Church Bill

Ummm...

Wow. Just wow.
Love you man, and all of your posts, but you know what is coming next...
You seriously feel the need to have that many people packing heat in a church.
Do you go to some megachurch with valet parking and Starbucks?

So who are you fearing? Not criticizing, just curious.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Mississippi is 2 years behind Kentucky...

Here's the Proof:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I don't think any one person feels the need to have that many people armed- there just happen to be that many people who want to be armed.

I mean, think about how far your average mass shooting would get if just 1 in 20 of people were prepared to shoot back.

As for my earlier post, still trying to find a source on our own local guns-in-church law. Lots of places talking about it, referencing eachother as sources. So far the most legitimate information I've found is that it's one of those old "blue law" laws.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
What does the government have a say in church issues? They are private, correct?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

I don't think any one person feels the need to have that many people armed- there just happen to be that many people who want to be armed.

I mean, think about how far your average mass shooting would get if just 1 in 20 of people were prepared to shoot back.

As for my earlier post, still trying to find a source on our own local guns-in-church law. Lots of places talking about it, referencing eachother as sources. So far the most legitimate information I've found is that it's one of those old "blue law" laws.

I get it to some extent, but there are ways those who think taking during movie previews constitutes shooting point blank with their piece.
More guns will not equal less crime. One in five gun deaths occur in the family of the gun owner.
Toddlers in the US shoot more people than several other countries gun deaths and injuries.

Don't get me wrong. Guns have their place. But unless we all get one in the states, then a lot of consideration has to be had in how to properly go about giving out free guns so we all can defend ourselves

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: lordcomac
I get it to some extent, but there are ways those who think taking during movie previews constitutes shooting point blank with their piece.

Got a source on that?

Maybe one with more out of three hundred and twenty some odd million?

Not really sure what your point is, here

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Omg you religious folk are not exactly the most tolerant of people on the planet,i cannot possible see how guns in a church of all places could go wrong

top topics

join