It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, why are you so offended at anothers display of faith?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

As an athestist, I have a lot of faith. Not in an anthropomorphized authoritarian creator being or beings but in the laws of creation - both physical and spiritual.

I pray for guidance and blessings from more evolved beings that have gone ahead to show the way - but I have to do the work and I have to take responsibility for my thoughts, words and deeds.

I get 'faith' and know it works for good and bad. I also understand the ease of belief in an authority figure or diety - it's so much easier to not have to figure things out for yourself, improve your character and treat others with compassion.

No - get out of hell free for athesists.

Personally (and I would hope all persons of good intent) would not consider defaming an entire class of people a 'good work'.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
originally posted by: TerryDon79

Someone got offended by a cross being built and they had to drive pass it?

Talk about a stupid thing to complain about.
A whole bunch of Christians got offended by an atheist billboard, because they had to drive "pass" it.
Talk about a stupid thing to complain about.

I didn't hear about that. But surely a cross is just a display and the atheist billboard would more likely mock or demean religion?
Surely you are wrong and narrow-minded about atheists...

Turns out some locals were very unhappy by that message even though it was aimed at non-religious people:

Link

So I'm narrow minded about atheists even though I am one myself?

I can't see why anyone would be upset by that billboard apart from the "everyone has to be a Christian and if you're not I'll make you one" types.

I think it's just comes down to some devout religious people and devout agnostic/atheist people who take offence at anything the other does/says that contradicts their belief/lack of belief.

here here I also think that when religious people go out of their way to demean others of religions and non belief it is also pointless.

Personally, I find this "billboard" offensive, but hey, I support free speech. But, don't condemn my children for their ability to think beyond Bible stories and rhetoric. This idea that atheists are immoral and therefore untrustworthy, deserve the bad luck that may befall them, they shouldn't hold public office, etc., is what gets my feathers ruffled.

edit on 18-3-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: crayzeed

look at the man who got upset and offended at a cross being built in Texas. He said he was an Atheist my wonder was why is he so offended at anothers show of faith?

One man and you defame all atheists.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

An atheist knows that there are no gods.We have no need to believe it.I do indeed have faith.In human stupidity.

If a theist's faith brings them comfort,security and purpose then I'm happy for them.

Just don't try telling me about it.If you are using your faith as a substitute for your lack of moral fibre,you should perhaps have a word with yourself.

Oh,yeah:stop judging us.We see vocally abrasive theists as idiots so please stop fanning the fires,would you?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Offence at different faiths is not in this discussion. it is one of no faith and one of faith being offended at one another.

It's all the same thing really. People intolerant of beliefs other than their own. Don't know why you are trying to differentiate these things.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Be back later guys some of have to work. I will try and check in later

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
NO Chester its the act of controlling others paradigm he hates....
Its the arrogance of the faithfull and their group stupidity when faced with hypocrisy by their vaunted leaders...
Religion is a low blow to the human mind...(believe in a magic unicorn whats the difference?)
Religion sneaks in the back door of the psyche and used properly it will provide a good living for those who can stomach the sick act of controlling so many with so much bull#....REGARDLESS of CREED....
Its pandering to hard wiring that's a left over from ignorance ....to control people....for power. money. and the usual baser instincts of men....
I truly pity the convert...but hate the controllers to my dying day.......
Religion is brainwashing and the children have no protection from it....how can we progress to peace, or the true human potential?
Certainly NOT through the religious option....

edit on 18-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I didn't see Atheist in the AG sign board.

A free thinker could encompass a whole range of people not just Atheist.

Don't be so thinned skinned.

It is as if you are drowning and your grasping at straws.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Be back later guys some of have to work. I will try and check in later

Have a good day. I hope that your work is of the type that will allow you to take the time to compose an answer to my questions and those of others.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
as an atheist i'm not offended by someone's own show of faith.
people who claim i am, i enjoy beating, rare now as preachy types like the op hide online.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Why do christians get offended by everything?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

A free thinker could encompass a whole range of people not just Atheist.

Don't be so thinned skinned.

Exactly! I think the point has been made that it's the uber religious that are thin skinned when it comes to tolerance of people who don't think like them. That sign, that I posted, just illustrates that mindset.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Im not really atheist. But i certainly don't share a common belief set among my local peers group.

For me, i get uncomfortable with religion in public because of the social pressure to lie. Especially living here (in what is often called "The Buckle of the Bible Belt"), it can kill you as a business man to not make up a prayer when the hot potato is thrown to you at the beginning of the weekly Rotary meeting.

And my God, is that ever uncomfortable. And completely unfair.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Bowing down to bull# makes humanity a horses arse....

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

So if a person has no faith why is it they are so offended at another display of their faith?

Faith itself doesn't bother me at all.

If you want to believe that a magical being in the sky sent down his son, which is also him, to save us from sins, go right ahead, you're free to believe that.

If you want to believe that the planet rides on the back of a giant space turtle, by all means, you are free to believe.

If you want to believe that all negative emotions are the result of tortured aliens that were thrown into a volcano on earth and their souls inhabited humans making them feel negative emotions. You are free to believe that too.

I don't think I know of anyone that is offended by people just because they believe in something (actually, I do know many theists that have a particular faith that are offended by other peoples faith).

What is offensive is when that faith is actively pushed into the government and society in countries that make an avid attempt to separate church and state. That effects all of us, and it's a very 'sneaky' and 'serpent-like' way of indoctrinating people and falsifying actual truths.

If you want to preach, go and preach, but I don't want to use tax dollars to support your beliefs just as much as you don't want to use tax dollars to support another religions beliefs.

You would think that you have evolved into a logical state of mind that does not get offended at another's symbols of faith. If you have no faith in a god someones faith in a god should not offend you.

It doesn't.

Why is it Atheists are always crying about people proselyting if in fact there is no god to be won too?

It's not just Atheists, It's religious people whom understand scientific matters and logic. If you're pushing against proven facts like a spherical earth, or the origin of the diversity of life, then that's not just a matter of practicing faith that's the issue, it's the matter of preventing misunderstanding in specific subjects and the spreading education more than it is "crying".

Is it not each persons personal right to have faith or not have faith?

It absolutely is their right.

And if a person wants to share their faith or show their faith why should it matter to those who have no faith seeing they are the higher thinker who knows there is no god to have faith in?

Because some of those beliefs require a person to remain ignorant, depending on the belief (not all beliefs)

Could there be a deeper reason for this offence than just symbols or sharing of Faith that you are offended by?

Education and valid information

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Is it not each persons personal right to have faith or not have faith?

It indeed is. But why making ones faith a public issue? Why not just having faith in private and enjoying it that way?

Why fight them about their show of faith?

Why and what for showing it publicly anyway?

I, personally, prefer believers to keep their faith for themselfs. Just as I don't want to see people corpulating in the streets, I don't want to see peoples faith screaming into my face by exposing it all over the place. And fortunately I live in northern Germany, where that is not too much the case. Thanks for that!

edit on 18-3-2016 by Willingly because: I have faith in having faith will be a private issue anytime soon...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Bowing down to bull# makes humanity a horses arse....

Yeah, well paying for my kids to have a better life than me is what makes me human.

You have to bow down, or go without. Its called "getting along", and why adults are allowed to buy beer.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Stop shoving your religion in our faces and we will stop complaining.

Simple eh?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I think there is a problem with this thread. Let me explain...

I don't think it's so much about religious people vs atheists. It's some religious people vs some atheists.

Each side has their extremists. But with religion you see it more. In work/tv/papers/radio and so on. Religion is kind of forced down people's throats all over the world. I think that's where the animosity comes from.

You only really here about an extreme atheist when it's against a religion (like the cross and billboard mentioned earlier in the thread).

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
www.oxforddictionaries.com...

A billboard claiming "free thinkers are satan's slaves" isn't religion.
There are religious free thinkers, fortunately. A fact this billboard's writer most certainly knows.
Examples include people raised in atheism who think their way into religion, whether or not their free thought process is valid to you doesn't change this status of free thinker.

Such a billboard is proof that religion is used as a pretext for dividing and conquering in spite of the meaning of the word religion, taken from Latin "to bind".
Another instance of semantic drift aiming to not only change the meaning of a word, but to give it quite an opposite meaning, as is done with "health", "security", "defence", "terrorism", "gay", "public service" & c.

Those who use religion as a pretext for dividing and conquering aren't serving religion or the creator by doing so, and actually violate the ninth commandment in the process.

Believing the world came to be without a creator is a belief anyone is entitled to, like all other beliefs.

Using this belief to support claims that religion isn't compatible with science, or to claim that religion is the source of the specific brand of savagery which uses religion as a pretext, is what I believe to be the source of the behaviour patterns the OP is referring to.

The belief that religion is a backward mentality and should be discouraged or even banned (USSR style) hasn't done any good to mankind, isn't factually accurate, and is a form of proselytism.

The "spread the word" mentality of Jesus or Mohamed isn't frankly comparable to the "convert or kill" mentality that has tainted their religions in the eyes of atheists, and was used as a military-political tool by clearly irreligious people who sought to get two birds with one stone: discredit religion and advance their empires, sometimes claiming to be popes and ayatollahs. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, once religion is effectively banned from public spheres, other pretexts are put forward by the same empires to justify the continuation of the same patterns of behaviour.

Discrediting religion is important to empires because truly religious people will not obey man when man's opinion contradicts religion, and that is unacceptable to dictators.

This technique is still observable because reproduced today: claiming terrorism (or rape) is religious in origin, claiming that religious states are responsible for wars waged by secular states, & c.

ChesterJohn, I personally think those atheists offended by faith aren't the brightest of their bunch, or at least not the most distinguishing since atheism requires faith in the absence of a creator.
These people will claim extravagant things about the nature of religions and religious people, and believe those things sometimes.
I propose that presenting accurate descriptions of religion to these militant atheists can and should be done without attempting to challenge their atheism.

God isn't a man in the sky to anyone besides atheists: the sky as translated from Genesis is the volume between the sea and the water above (the source of rain): people are in that sky which god created, and therefore isn't his inherent dwelling place, god isn't a man but the origin of men.
I respect your right to believe the bible to be a lie, and your own book on the origin of men to be the truth, be it explosion and soup, or annunaki or ETs or anything really: your mind is yours.
For instance

Have a great week's end everyone

peace out

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join