It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, why are you so offended at anothers display of faith?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: wisvol
Yes, opinions based on our agreement with a written theory, not unlike your opinions based on your own agreement with another written theory.

So not based on evidence or fact, just on what you want to be true. Yeah it's no secret that creationists have nothing to offer.

Some opinions are closer to fact than others of course, and determining which without resorting to the peremptory attitude you constantly display is a prerequisite of the scientific study of any topic.

Not without demonstrating the truth values of opinions or claims it's just a waste of oxygen with nothing to offer.

Do you not see a recurring theme yet?

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

None besides one previously identified and shared as such.

Your view of evidence is fortunately far from universal.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

None besides one previously identified and shared as such.

To be expected I guess, just dishonesty running rampant

Your view of evidence is fortunately far from universal.

I guess not amongst creationists, to them 'opinion' can somehow be defined as evidence.

But then they don't have anything else whatsoever to go on...

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

this is what evidence means, and it is subject to interpretation, yours being yours only.

You have written on this website both that genetic differences within generations is evidence of the origin of species being other species, and that opinion can somehow be defined as evidence by a group you differentiate your self from.

There is rampant dishonesty unless you are actually incapable of discerning opinion from evidence, which is all right as long as you refrain from stating this trait belongs to people of different opinions.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Wish I could give you more stars than one. But that's not on track so I can only give one. I can't even work out how to copy your post I am replying to but it's on page 12 of this thread.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Wish I could give you more stars than one. But that's not on track so I can only give one. I can't even work out how to copy your post I am replying to but it's on page 12 of this thread.

Cheers buddy, Sadly, none of us will live long enough to see a religion free world. All we can do is educate our kids and let them make up their own minds. If we did our jobs properly, they will choose reason over make believe.

And if they don't choose correctly, we can scare them about going to hell when they die and suffering for all eternity..oh no, wait, that's not us who does that. Phew.

By the way you reply and copy the post by clicking on the "quote" button on my post
edit on 21-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

a reply to: TzarChasm

The point I made, and will be remaking for your reading pleasure, is this:

Expressing an opinion as to something unverified is a statement of belief.

therefore, saying "I don't know how the world came to be" is not a belief

yet "the world was consciously formed" as well as "there was this big explosion" are both beliefs, contrarily to the opinion of my ATS correspondent Prezbo

The quote you reproduce is a way to make this point from the angle of said correspondent, who claims their belief isn't one because it only negates another, yet the reverse is equally false: I hope he or she can see now that claiming the opposite of anything doesn't make the opposing claim a non-claim.

The big explosion has been verified. Its not a matter of opinion anymore.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

the crux of my rebutal to this should already appear in other members replies - but it deserves repeating :

i am not offended by others PERSONAL DISPLAY OF FAITH , though i find it amusing that they feel the need to demonstrate such faiths publicly

what offends me is the delusion held by certain demographics that thier " displays of faith " MUST be embraced by all and take precedence over all other activity

if you dont find this concept offensive - consider this :

would you accept and embrace a demand that all americans pledge thier allegence and devotion to the denver broncos every morning ?

id not why not ????

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

The point I made, and will be remaking for your reading pleasure, is this:

Expressing an opinion as to something unverified is a statement of belief.

therefore, saying "I don't know how the world came to be" is not a belief

yet "the world was consciously formed" as well as "there was this big explosion" are both beliefs, contrarily to the opinion of my ATS correspondent Prezbo

The quote you reproduce is a way to make this point from the angle of said correspondent, who claims their belief isn't one because it only negates another, yet the reverse is equally false: I hope he or she can see now that claiming the opposite of anything doesn't make the opposing claim a non-claim.

Well, kind of. "It's the best answer we have so far" and "there is some very good evidence pointing towards it" is as safe as i'd personally like to call it with regards to the big bang.

Its by no means a closed topic.
edit on 21-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

Your judgement is both uncalled for, off topic

On the contrary, it is very much on topic. It speaks to your unreliability as a source of even the simplest information, and illustrates the vacuity your statements with respect to the topic.

This is a pattern of thought you've displayed several times in responding to my posts and beyond the approval of some peers of yours which you so sadly pursue, it will never get you anything.

Yes, being right is a sort of 'pattern of thought', as you put it, for me. This is because I only ever make statements I can factually support. You should try it some time.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Preaching is moral violence. Keep it to yourselves in a secular society

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Most atheists are only offended when you try and force feed your religion down their throat....or putting it where it doesn't belong (such as on money, or in a court room, or in the Pledge of Allegiance, etc.)

I'm actually a spiritual person, though some feel I'm an atheist...so I pretty much accept folks can have their own beliefs. Just don't try and force feed it to me. I had years of that in my youth (and my knowledge of most religions (especially Christianity) often eclipses those who go regularly to services, so good luck trying to con me folks,
)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

On the contrary, it is very much on topic. It speaks to your unreliability as a source of even the simplest information, and illustrates the vacuity your statements with respect to the topic.

No

You claim my knowledge of French is off base because I use the correct orthography, which does not correlate with unreliability as a source.

Yes, being right is a sort of 'pattern of thought', as you put it, for me. This is because I only ever make statements I can factually support. You should try it some time.

You often say that you can factually support your statements, yet never do.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Thanks for your statement of faith, which is an opinion.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Le sigh...

Faith is believing things for no good reason, faith is for the gullible even in the face of evidence and reason to the contrary.

Faith is all you and other Creationist types have, you have no good reason to hold the irrational beliefs you hold, you cannot bring anything whatsoever to the table to demonstrate your beliefs to be accurate, you just know what you want to be true (Magic).

This is evident by the complete lack of substance you have brought to these boards, just like every other vapid creatonist.
edit on 22-3-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing your opinion so insistently.

I'm sure it makes it valid to a specific type of people.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I am atheist and I am not offended by anybody. you might believe in whatever you like, I just believe in medications that saved me out. no god saved me, but anti anxiety medications saved me and since that day I have been an even firmer believer in SCIENCE and no god. if somebody else believes in god then it is your business. I don't mind anybody believing in whatever you like. I just personally don't like it. what I am offended by is that there are a lot of god believers who are trying to induce me their faith. I don't try to tell them and to make them understand that i do not believe in no god, but they want to try to make me understand that there IS god (while I know that there isn't any) and they keep saying me that and I start getting bothered and in the end frustrated!

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

Unless you can show something, anything for your magical position, it's fact and not mere opinion.

You're a Creationist 'scientist' aren't you? Whatever it is you do should surely produce something we can examine in the lab and reproduce and verify....no?

Or is it that you, like all other Creationists, can only ever attempt to discredit any scientific discoveries that contradict your supernatural superstitions?

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I've been compensated for expressing my thoughts in universities, yes.

As have other creationists.

Or is it that you, like all other Creationists, can only ever attempt to discredit any scientific discoveries that contradict your supernatural superstitions?

No, actually as a sane man I'd change my beliefs if they were contradicted by scientific discoveries.

However, theories claiming to contradict them do abound, as has been the case since my beliefs were first formed millenia ago.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

How the #&$/ is faith an opinion? How do you guys come up with this stuff? Faith is gullibility. Unless you can make an educated guess about a certain situation in which case you can call it educated faith if you want.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join